Berlin or Bust AAR - Russia, in 4-Player Campaign

Share reports of your greatest victories and most ignominious defeats with other gamers here.
gwgardner

Berlin or Bust AAR - Russia, in 4-Player Campaign

Post by gwgardner »

Hope this won't be a bust, in terms of my game play. I'm a relative newbie to the game, so who knows if Berlin - and Vienna - are out of the question.

I'm playing Russia, with the AI taking the Central Powers and the Western Allies.

The options I've chosen:

Attachments
cap11.jpg
cap11.jpg (109.92 KiB) Viewed 721 times

gwgardner

RE: Berlin or Bust AAR - Russia, in 4-Player Campaign

Post by gwgardner »

My War Plan will be right out of the book - I can hardly do worse with it than the Grand Duke did.

Attachments
cap49.jpg
cap49.jpg (60.27 KiB) Viewed 725 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Enemy warplans:

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (167.58 KiB) Viewed 721 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

French plans:

Attachments
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (90.01 KiB) Viewed 721 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Event and diplomacy phases for the first turn. I sent an ambassador to Romania, and seeing that the Germans had sent one to Serbia (which is already at war) I sent one there too, hoping to counteract German influence. (I'm still getting a handle on diplomacy in this game, which looks to be of no little significance.)

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (69.52 KiB) Viewed 721 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

As the armies begin to march across the face of Europe I'm feeling overwhelmed. I'm going to have to review the disposition of my forces, and consider the mandatory attacks I have to carry out in Prussia and against the Austrians. It looks like forceful action will be necessary on Russia's part in order to give France a spine. After their initial attack, they abandoned Plan 16 already.

Poland is a deep salient from which I have to attack north into Prussia, guard the western flank, and hold off the Austrians in the south. General Ludendorf is known to be commanding the German 4th Army to the west. Our intial planning had not counted on the 4th being present on the flank.

It is probable that Hindenburg is in command of the 8th Army guarding Poland.

Why do I have a presentiment of disaster in the offing? Those reservists better arrive quickly.

Attachments
cap43.jpg
cap43.jpg (162.21 KiB) Viewed 723 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Facing the long line of the Carpathians, 4 Russian Corps have the task of attacking into Austria. Unfortunately, recon shows that there are at least 4 Austrian corps in waiting, each as strong or stronger than ours.

Our 4th Corps may have to lend a hand on the flank against the Germans, so it is unlikely that it can be used in offense immediately. The 5th and 3rd are our strongest of these four armies, and are in position to move forward towards Lemberg. There are three railroads leading across the Carpathians, and Lemberg is a major hub. It's vital to any success in the future. Cracow and Przesmyl are important too, but I'm doubtful that any sustained offensive is going to be possible on a long front.

The 8th Army may be able to add just enough punch against the Austrian center, if it can hold off the Austrian's in the south.

Attachments
cap15.jpg
cap15.jpg (220.15 KiB) Viewed 721 times

06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

This is an unusual twist-good luck.
I think you are headed for a quick stalemate with those being played-an extra German Army or two in the east will male things a bit more difficult for an advance on Berlin.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Yeah, I can almost hear the clash now as the German 4th slams into the flank of Samsanov's 2nd. But the Grand Duke is adamant. I'm going to have a junior officer take the bullets out of Samsonov's sidearm.

06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

Yeah, I can almost hear the clash now as the German 4th slams into the flank of Samsanov's 2nd. But the Grand Duke is adamant. I'm going to have a junior officer take the bullets out of Samsonov's sidearm.

[:D] I have never had such an opening combination, but I assume it will get very tough for the Russians quickly. If the French come on strong-and have some good luck, then maybe you can pull it off.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

To complete the review of initial dispositions, the 10th Army is in the Caucasus. Although it seems to start out of position to guard the vital railroad through Batum.

It should be noted that initially all forces but the 1,2 and 9th Armies are 'locked.'

Attachments
cap13.jpg
cap13.jpg (119.31 KiB) Viewed 723 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

The Early August military phase:

With all other units still moving into initial positions, only the 1st and 2nd Armies are authorized to launch their attacks.

Only Samsonov's 2nd comes into contact with the enemy, at Tannenburg, against what was apparently only a detachment of Hindenberg's 8th Army.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (168 KiB) Viewed 723 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

After the initial phase, the German 4th was seen moving up against Samsonov's western flank, where he has posted 2 blocking corps.

With the mandatory advance satisfied, both 1st and 2nd Armies must decide how to react to the presence of the German 4th, and the scattered 8th around Koenigsberg.

Farther south, the remaining Russian Armies facing Austria and now released to begin their attack. It's a one - two punch that the Grand Duke intends to send both Germans and the Austrians reeling.

Attachments
cap09.jpg
cap09.jpg (81.19 KiB) Viewed 723 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

In the West, French attacks in the center have met with some success, but German advances in Belgium have to be alarming. Kluck's Army has already advanced close to the French border, having swept aside any Belgian resistance.

In Serbia, the Austrian 5th Army as forced its way across the border and has besieged Belgrade.

Attachments
cap35.jpg
cap35.jpg (57.1 KiB) Viewed 724 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Late August:

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (148.83 KiB) Viewed 723 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Stavka did order a general advance all along the Austrian front. 3rd Army inflicted a severe defeat on the Austrians, hopefully preparing the way for a successful coordinated move against Lemberg.

In the Caucasus, the Turks remained inactive, while 10th Army moved to defend Batum.

Attachments
cap05.jpg
cap05.jpg (134.98 KiB) Viewed 724 times

NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

Hey Gardner,  have you run into any certain oddities when playing 1 player in the 4 player game yet? 
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

No problems. However, as you can tell, I play slowly. I'm actually reading the manual as I get to each phase. Currently I'm in the Politics phase, and have to read up on that.

I was surprised that in the late August part of the turn, I got no reports of battle on the Western Front. Whether that means there were none (very surprising!) or I just didn't get to see them, I don't know.

I have read that the mode I'm playing in leads to a less active/aggresive AI - army by army mode.

NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

Yes, the AI seems to be less aggressive in army-by-army mode but that's the most fun to play in my opinion. Tabeltop style. [8D] The AI has still stood up to me fairly well in that mode, though. They just don't seem to exploit a breakout or drive forward well in 1914. I've not played against it much in that mode during trench warfare but I'd think that's more what the AI is suited for. For some reason, in WEGO mode, the AI can tear some stuff up in 1914, though. I've seen it ravage the French armies pretty good in the first year as AI vs AI in WEGO.

This is a great AAR, by the way. I like AARs to utilize some drawing on the map screenshots to illustrate what's going on, as you do . [8D]

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Reading the forums I panicked that throughout the August turn I totally ignored supply. So here's the supply situation, as shown in the 'supply map mode.' Fortunately, every unit, as far as I can tell, remains in supply. I'll have to start considering the repair of RRs, and length of supply lines.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (87.93 KiB) Viewed 723 times

Return to “After Action Reports”