Which is more valuable to fighter pilots, Air skill or Exp?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Sredni

Which is more valuable to fighter pilots, Air skill or Exp?

Post by Sredni »

I got 3 CVE's a while ago with actual combat groups instead of those replenishment groups (can replenishment groups be used for combat? I suppose that's another thread heh) but all the pilots that came with them started out high Exp and lowish (50ish) specific skills.

So now they've been sitting in port for months (not docked) training but because they're past the magic 50% exp their actual skills are going up incredibly slowly.

The fighter pilots in these groups are all averaging around 55 Exp and 60ish airskill, and I'm wondering if I would be better off just tossing these guys and pulling in newbies to train up to 70+ airskill.

Would these groups be better off with 40ish Exp 70ish Air (I could reach that within 2 months of training I expect) or with their current 55ish Exp and 60ish Air?

On a related note, what does everyone do with the CVE Long Island? It doesn't come with it's own air groups, it's kinda slow, and it can only fit 16 planes lol.
michaelm75au

RE: Which is more valuable to fighter pilots, Air skill or Exp?

Post by michaelm75au »

Skills are what counts for most individual actions including training.

Experience, in general, counts in non-combat areas.
Michael
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

You have two choices for CVE Long Island

1. FInd a CV capable Marine Sq to put on it (these are few and far between in AE). I think it was pointed out that if you leave a VMF/VMB on a CVE for 90 days it becomes CV capable

2. Use it as it was used in RL which is as an aircraft ferry
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

ORIGINAL: vettim89

You have two choices for CVE Long Island

1. FInd a CV capable Marine Sq to put on it (these are few and far between in AE). I think it was pointed out that if you leave a VMF/VMB on a CVE for 90 days it becomes CV capable

2. Use it as it was used in RL which is as an aircraft ferry

I think they are all CV capable but I haven't seen one that came CV trained. But, yes after some time they will upgrade to CV trained if left on long enough. I put one on Long Island and use it for ASW work. Helps extend air ASW to those areas not able to be covered by LBA.
Sredni

Post by Sredni »

Can the long island operate 18 aircraft? I'm not sure about the rules regarding overstacking CV's.

I suppose I could track down one of the resizable marine squadrons, they're all ones that withdraw, but some withdraw late in the war. I think I'd end up with 6 aircraft if I resized though lol.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Sredni

Can the long island operate 18 aircraft? I'm not sure about the rules regarding overstacking CV's.

I suppose I could track down one of the resizable marine squadrons, they're all ones that withdraw, but some withdraw late in the war. I think I'd end up with 6 aircraft if I resized though lol.

IIRC, yes I was able to in my game.

aoffen

Post by aoffen »

Sorry, what's the difference between CV capable and CV trained. I thought CV capable units could all operate off carriers. Is that not correct?
Regards
Andrew
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

ORIGINAL: aoffen

Sorry, what's the difference between CV capable and CV trained. I thought CV capable units could all operate off carriers. Is that not correct?
Regards
Andrew

You are correct. They can both operate from CV/CVL/CVEs but carrier capable air units will take more ops losses than carrier trained.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I suppose everybody in the world knows this, but it caught me by surprise early in the game.  You can park the initial type of Corsair on Long Island, but they won't fly missions.  IE, your only reason to do so would be to transport the Corsairs to another port and unload them there.

I think the second version of Corsair will fly from Long Island.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

IIRC correctly you can park any single-engine plane on a carrier and fly them off, but only for a transfer.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”