Hannibal: Rome & Carthage. 2nd AAR

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War is a new and innovative turn-based strategy game that puts you in command of the Carthaginian military during a period of total war over land and sea with the young Roman Republic. With this military juggernaut of the ancient world at your disposal, you will vie for control over Italy, Carthage, Spain and the Mediterranean Sea using a combination of strategic political maneuvering and sheer tactical skill both on land and sea. Play consists of two layers; the first is a strategic layer where you must prudently steer your forces to the destruction of Rome’s army and the ultimate destruction of the Republic and city itself. At your disposal are a variety of unit types and historical commanders from which to form your armies. On the tactical scale, when meeting the enemy in battle, skilled leadership and a knack for war come into play as you use a simple but engaging battle system to best your opponents.

Moderator: mercenarius

Fletcher

Hannibal: Rome & Carthage. 2nd AAR

Post by Fletcher »

Hi everyone, just a quick note to say that this is an AAR based on a beta version of the game, which Fletcher graciously agreed to post on the public forum. Enjoy! - Erik

Hi there, it´s time to retake playing to test.
It´s my second AAR after large study of manual rules. I have taken several decisions:

First: I will play to not lost the game (I will try to fight avoiding the Carthage falls or Hannibal death).

Second: I will play with recruiting like main target to explore attrition vs Rome

TURN 1

02 units were raised at Carthage: 1 African Infantry and 1 Naval Sqdrn.
05 commands supported by the first turn.

01 Roman fleet driven to port at Bay of Tarentum (withdraw to Tarentum)

Hannibal Command Phase. I take reinforcements from Hasdrubal´s (1 Elepahnt, 1 Companion Cavalry and 1 African Infantry). One spanish infantry is sent to Emporion.

Hannibal´s Army with the authorization of Senate march to Gaul losing 3 african infantry units by gaul attrition. I think I must be unlucky there !...

With only 1 "Hannibal on the march" option card on the hand I can not play extended move and secret mountain pass to cross Alps and I prefer will not be under Mountains attrition, I will prefer to the next turn to march with Hannibal into Italy leaving Mago with a short garrison to recruit gauls to my Italy Peninsula campaign.

Hasdrubal is activated marching with 1 African infantry to New Carthage. Another African infantry is sent to Emporion.

ONe Naval Sqdron at Iberian Sea is recalled to Carthage.
The same for the Mediterranean Sea naval squadron. The naval thinking is to gather all available fleets at Carthage and reinforce them with as many new sqdrns as possible to fight the sea supremacy against Rome with material advantages.

Himilco Army is activated with 1 Spanish Cavalry, 3 Spanish infantry and 1 african infantry to camp out at Zeugitania. Hanno is on Carthage with the garrison.

Hannibal on the March option card is draw from the pile. Will be good for the next turn.

Spanish recruiting: 1 Spanish infantry to Hasdrubal
Gaul recruiting: 1 Gaul infantry to Hannibal

ROME first turn:

Fulvius is activated and his Army lost 2 roman legions and 1 auxiliar legion by gaul attrition crossing the Gaul to reach Iberian Penninsula (I was not only with my unluck!). Fulvius Army moves to Spain and storms Emporion playing "Roman Siege" option Card (2 militia units destroyed). IN the storm I lost 1 african infantry and 1 spanish infantry units. 1 Roman cavalry unit is lost by Fulvius.

A Rome Admiral is appinted at Ligurian Sea to gather the naval sqdrn ghere tiwh the Tyrrhenian Sea Sqdrns.

At Tarentum a naval sqdrn move to join with Syracuse Fleet at Ionian Sea.

Paulus landings with his Army at Rhegium and Sempronius at rome moves with his Army to Ancona.

SPECIAL CONSCRIPTION OPTION card played by Rome (New Consular Army raised at ROME with 2 roman legions, 2 auxiliar legions and 1 rome cavalry units).

Recruitings of Rome: 1 Allied Legion (ROME), 1 Rome Legion (Neapolis), 1 Syracuse Infantry unit (Syracuse), 2 Naval Sqdrns (Tarentum), 1 Spanish Cavalry (Fulvius -Emporion-).

Elections at Rome: Fulvius reelected like Propraetor (a prize for his capture of Emporion (?)), Servilius and Claudius elected consuls and Gracchus elected Praetor.

Influence on Senade Card Option played by me to send forces to Italy. I am lucky to know that Senate is agree to send forces to ITALY !!.. The next turn will be interesting with Hannibal crossing the Alps...

TOTAL CARTHAGE UNITS RAISED: 4
TOTAL CARTHAGE UNITS LOST: 4

TOTAL ROME UNITS RAISED: 10
TOTAL ROME UNITS LOST: 1

Attachments
primero.jpg
primero.jpg (880.79 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

RE: Hannibal: Rome & Carthage. 2nd AAR

Post by Fletcher »

Turn 2

I am lucky and Senate authorizes me to send forces to Italy (!).

01 african infantry is raised at Carthage.
04 Commands are supported for this turn.

Hannibal command phase. Secret mountain pass card option is played. Mago with 1 Gaul Infantry is left at Gaul to recruitings purpose. Hannibal cross alps into Italy and storms and capture Mediolanum (2 Rome militian units destroyed), Turin (2 Rome Militian units and 1 Spanish (Carthage) infantry lost) and Patavium (2 Rome militia units destroyed). Now, Fulvius is isolated by land to Italy... (I will think in isolate him by sea too).

Hannibal play another cad and 1 latin legion is removed from Fulvius army at Genoa. Roman played "elephants died" in responds and 1 elephant unit mut to be removed from Hannibal´s Army.

Himilco is activated with only 3 units (I have not more transports), but I think could be a diversionary move to land them at Etruria. Himilco reach Etruria without naval interferences.

With no more options to play (I have another 2 command points but I have no good options to play with Hasdrubal isolated at New Carthage and no more naval transports assets availables, and my fleet awaiting reinforcements at Carthage port), I ended with my Command Phase.

Spanish recruiting: 1 spanish infantry to Hasdrubal
Gaul recruiting: 1 Gaul cavalry to Mago
Cisalpine Gaul recruiting: 1 Gaul infantry to Hannibal

ROME Turn:

Servilius is activated and "Reinforcements in Rome" option card played (two new units are raised at Rome : 1 Cavalry and 1 Rome Legion), I responds playing Gallic Aid. A second option card is played by Rome : "Reinforcements in Rome" is played for a second time with another 3 units raised at Rome (this time: 2 rome legions and 1 cavalry unit) (I thinks is too much units raised...could be better only one Special recruiting card option can be played in the same turn ? I think two New Consular Armies in the same year is too much! (?)).

Servilius march to attack Himilco´s Army and he is outmaneuvred and smashed by Romans: I lost 1 spanish infantry, 1 spanish cavalry and 1 african infantry with only 1 enemy legion destroyed. Himilco has been killed and Servilius is promoted.

Servilius cross mountains into Cisalpine Gaul and he is intercepted by Hannibal. SURPRISE BATTLE CARD is played by Hannibal, in responds Rome played "Rampant Elephants" Option Card. My elephants are routed. The battle is a great victory: 3 Rome legions and 4 Rome cavalry units are destroyed. I payd a price for the victory: 1 african and 1 spanish infantry units and 1 African heavy cavalry destroyed. Enemy routed army takes refugee at Genoa after battle.

I can draw a new Option card from the pile: "SENATE INFLUENCE" (good)

Rome played a New Consular Army reinforcement Option Card !!... 2 new rome legions, 2 auxiliar legions and 1 cavalry unit raised at Rome. For the other hands, Rome raised 1 legion (rome) and 1 spanish infantry (Fulvius at Emporion).

TOTAL CARTHAGE UNITS RAISED: 4
TOTAL CARTHAGE UNITS LOST: 8

TOTAL ROME UNITS RAISED: 12
TOTAL ROME UNIT LOST: 15

Attachments
GaulCisalp..vebattle.jpg
GaulCisalp..vebattle.jpg (542.63 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

Turn 3

Senate authorize me to reinforce Italy after Influence on the Senate Option card was playein in this way.

01 African Infantry is raised at Carthage.

Hannibal punic tricks draw from the pile (will be very usefull later).

In spite that I have 4 command points to play, I was thinking to be conservative and react to enemy moves. I did not want to play with the weak Hasdrubal Army at Spain (I must to reinforce him and I will not do this turn). For the other hand I cannot left Cisalpine Gaul without Carthage Army because I want to reinforce all my garrisons before that, and I want to take gaul infantry reinforcements from there. Mago is at Gaul recruiting gauls and he will not cross the mountain to be under attrition... He will be a human resources reserve for Hannibal, but not now with only two units. And finally, Hanno and Carthalo are ready at Carthage but I will not send them to death in a new landing at Etruria without the support of Hannibal´s Army.

Well, I take a conservative decision, I will not play any of my command phase and will wait the Rome reactions...

Spanish recruiting: 1 spanish infantry to Hannibal at New Carthage.
Gauls recruiting: 1 Gaul infantry to Mago at Gaul.
Cisalpine Gaul recruiting: 2 Gaul infantry to Hannibals at Cisalpine Gaul.

ROME Turn:

Marcellus is activated at Genoa and reinforced, he moves to Cisalpine Gaul and Hannibal intercept him. Marcellus is decided to meet my Army on the battlefield. I played the "INSPIRED TROOPS" Battle Card (I can not play Surprise or Cavalry Maneuvre because Romans Army is so huge with 9 roman/latin legions).

All enemy Army is destroyed (9 units) with the lost of 3 gaul infantry units. Marcellus is killed and I can draw a new option card (Hannibal on the march)

Gracchus is activated and lands at Spain !!
Apollonides is activated at Syracuse but he stand on Sicily.

"Special Conscription" Option Card is played by Romans (2 roman legions, 2 auxiliar legions and 1 roman cavalry at Rome).

Recruitings from Rome:

1 Latin Legion at Capua
1 Latin Legion at Neopolis
1 Roman Legion at Rome
1 Spanish Infantry at Gracchus ARmy at Emporion

Paullus is reelected like praetor. Claudius and Minucius are elected consuls and Livius is elected PRaetor.

I send my advice to Senate playing "Influence on the Senate" Option Card: REINFORCE SPAIN (I am awaiting a heavy offensive against Hasdrubal with the Gracchus Army)

TOTAL CARTHAGE UNITS RAISED: 5
TOTAL CARTHAGE UNITS LOST: 3

TOTAL ROME UNITS RAISED: 10
TOTAL ROME UNITS LOST: 9

Attachments
CisalpineGaulbattle.jpg
CisalpineGaulbattle.jpg (522.33 KiB) Viewed 1061 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

Turn 4

Senate authorize me to sent reinforcements to Italy.

01 Companion Cavalry plus 1 Naval Sqdrns raised at Carthage.

One Roman fleet was driven to port at Tyrrhenian Sea due to heavy storms.

Carthalo sent to Italy by Sea. His Army lands at Etruria. Perusia is captured after stormed. No Carthago losses. 2 Rome militia units destroyed.

Hannibal is activated to cross mountais after played the Mountain Secret Pass Option Card. He thinks to avoid a Roman attack against Carthalo at Perusia and he will stand on the camp awaiting romans for battle if neccesary.

Mago is activated to reinforce Cisalpine Gaul from Gaul. With 2 Gaul infantry units and 1 Gaul Cavalry he goes to Mediolanum.

04 Naval Sqdrns are activated at Carthage to avoid enemy landings at Home. My fleet is patrolling Mediterranean Sea.

Spanish recruiting: 1 Spanish infantry to Hasdrubal
Cisalpine Gaul recruiting: 1 Gaul cavalry to Mago

ROME TURN:

Minucius looking for battle Hannibal´s Army at Etruria after be reinforced at Rome. With 4 legions supported by 4 auxiliar latin legions plus 1 Rome cavalry he faces Carthage Army.

At Battle Rome lost 2 regular Legions, 1 Auxiliar Legion plus 1 1 Rome Cavalry Unit. My losses are heavy too: 2 spanish cavalry, 1 Gaul cavalry and 1 Gaul infantry

Rome Army is defeated and withdraw to Pisa. Hannibal on the March is draw from the pile like extra Option Card by this victory.

The next movement is the Rome Fleet steaming to Mediterranean Sea to fight against my fleet. In a 4-4 naval battle I lost 3 Carthage Naval Sqdrns vs only 2 Rome Sqdrn destroyed.

Claudius is activated at Spain but he doesn´t nothing.
One Rome fleet join with Syracusan Fleet at Ionian Sea... I am threatened with a landing at Africa !.
Livius landing at Brutium and join with Reghium garrison there.

Rome recruits:

1 Latin Legion to Rhegium (this is the reason of Livius travel to Bruttium !)
1 Latin Legion to Capua
1 Rome Legion at Neapolis
1 Rome Legion at Pisa
1 Rome Cavalry at Rome
2 Naval Sqdrns at Tarentum ( I will have not option to fight for Naval supremacy against Rome!)
1 Spanish Infantry at Emporion with Claudius Army.

Claudius is reelected like Proconsul.
Livius and Gracchus are elected Praetors.
Servilius and Fabius are elected Consuls.

I send my suggest to reinforce Spain to the Senate.

TOTAL CARTHAGE UNITS RAISED: 04
TOTAL CARTHAGE UNITS LOST: 07

TOTAL ROME UNITS RAISED: 08
TOTAL ROME UNITS LOST: 08

Attachments
turno4.jpg
turno4.jpg (908.34 KiB) Viewed 1061 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

TURN 5

Senate authorize me to sent reinforcements to Spain (needed to Hasdrubal to stand by Rome offensive at Iberian Penninsula).

1 African Infantry have been raised at Carthage. Naval Rome supremacy is a great threat but only one fleet will not change nothing and I would need africans to reinforce north africa or Spain.

Hanno is activated at Carthage and sent to Spain with 1 African infantry (only 1 naval transport asset is available).

Hasdrubal is activate to returns to Carthage by Sea (I would need a good general if Romans would land at Zeugitania)... They have a total naval supremacy.

Hannibal takes from Carthalo Army 1 African Infantry, 1 Companion Cavalry and 1 spanish infantry. Hannibal needs this reinforcements to face any enemy army threatened me at Etruria.

I have not more command phases.

Treachery Option Card is draw from the pile .... VERY GOOD !!! (Will be interesting to play to reinforce Hannibal with Italians)

Spanish recruiting: 1 Spanish cavalry to Hanno at New Carthage.

ROME TURN:

Fabius is activated at Rome.
Livius lands with his army at Emporion .. !!
Servilius lands with his army at Genua. He storms Patavium lossing 1 auxiliar legion vs 2 carthage militia units. After it, he storms Turin losing another latin legion vs another 2 carthage militia units. (it´s a good exchange: 2 latin legions vs 4 militia units)

Rome sent more naval squadrons to join with Syracusan at Ionian Sea.

Rome recruits:

1 Latin Legion to CAPUA
1 Latin Cavalry to NEAPOLIS
1 Latin Legion to ROME
1 Spanish Infantry to Claudius Army at Emporion.

Claudius is reelected Proconsul
Livius is elected like Propraetor
Fabius and Scipio are elected Consuls
Valirius is electer Praetor.

I send my suggestions to Senate: SEND ARMY TO GAUL (I Would LIke to Sent Mago to recruit new Gaul units there).

MY SUGGEST IS ACCEPTED BY SENATE WITHOUT ANY OPTION CARD PLAYED (!)

Attachments
fsscr001.jpg
fsscr001.jpg (779.74 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

TURN 6

Senate decree: Send Army to Gaul (I am lucky with 2 consecutive turns with the approval of Senate of my will).

Hannibal is activated and I take decision to play "TREACHERY" Option Card. Pisa falls and Rome lost 4 garrison and 1 Rome Legion there. Hannibal´s Army stand on Etruria due I want to get italian recruiting there, i need to get PUNIC TRICKs Option Card to face Romans at battlefield in the Cisalpine Gaul.

Mago is activated and i sent him with 1 gaul cavalry to Gaul with the task to recruit gauls to Hannibal´s Army.

REVOLT ON SARDINIA Option Card is draw from the pile.

Spanish recruiting: 1 spanish infantry to Hanno at New Carthage.
Etrurian recruiting: 1 italian infantry to Pisa garrison

ROME TURN:

Livius is activated with 2 latin legions and landed at Genua.
Claudius is activated and dispersing his forces at Cisalpine Gaul.
Fabius is activated at Rome and concentrating forces. He landed with his army at Genua !

Rome recruitings:

1 Latin Legion to ROME
1 Rome Legion to CAPUA
1 Rome Legion to NEAPOLIS
1 Spanish Infantry to Claudius Army at Emporion.

Claudius is reelected as Proconsul
Fabius and Servilius are reelected as Consuls
Valerius and Tuditanus are elected Praetors

Reinforce ITALY Advice sent to Senate (I would Like to get gauls with Mago).

TOTAL Carthage units raised: 03
TOTAL Carthage units lost: 0

TOTAL Rome Units raised: 04
TOTAL Rome Units lost: 04

Attachments
fsscr001.jpg
fsscr001.jpg (897.92 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

TURN 7

Senate decree: Reinforce Italy (!)

1 Elephant unit and 1 African Infantry Unit raised at Carthage.
06 Command Phases supported.

Romans must remove 2 units in Northern Italy after Option Card Played by Hannibal (1 Latin Legion from Servilius and 1 Latin Legion from Fabius). That´s great for the new offensive in Cisalpine Gaul.

Secret Mountain Pass Option Card played by Hannibal to cross mountains into Cisalpine Gaul. My first target is defeat Servilius Army (with only infantry units). Servilius´s Army was outmaneuvred and must to accept the pitched battle. He lost 3 Rome Legions adn 2 Aux Legions vs 1 Spanish Infantry Unit lost. It´s another great victory for Hannibal !. Servilius has been killed and Hannibal Punic Trick Option Card draw from the pile after victory (needed for the next battle!)...

I try to engage Fabius Army, but he did not accept battle and I decline to storm the camp. Hannibal returns to Etruria ending his Command phase after play Extended Move Option Card.

Hasdrubal is sent to Italy with 1 African infantry unit to reinforce Pisa garrison.

Carthalo is recalled to Carthage and he come back by Sea movement from Etruria.

Spanish recruitings: 1 Spanish Infantry to Hanno at New Carthage
Etrurian recruitings: 1 Italian Infantry to Pisa garrison (Hasdrubal)

ROME TURN

Claudius is activated (no fights or movements)
Fabius is activated and he decide to storms Turin. It´s a great turn, Turin falls in his hands, but Rome lost 1 Latin Cavalry and 1 Latin Infantry vs 2 carthage militia units. Fabius Army returns to Genoa (wise!).
Taditanus sent to Samnium (to recruit?)
Appollonides is activated (no fights or movements)

Special Conscription Card is played by Rome (2 Rome Legions, 2 Auxiliar Legions and 1 Latin Legion reinforce Rome). I played an Option Card to remove 1 Latin LEgion from Fabius ARmy at Genua.

Rome Recruitings :

1 Latin Legion to Ancona
1 Latin Cavalry to Asculum
1 Latin Legion to Capua
1 Latin legion to Genua
1 Latin Legion to Neapolis
1 Rome Legion to Rome
2 Latin Legion to Tarentum
1 Spanish Infantry to Claudius at Spain.

Elections:

Gracchus and Scipio elected Consuls
Livius, Fabius and Minucius elected Praetors.

Total CARTHAGE units raised: 04
Total CARTHAGE units lost: 03

Total Rome units raised: 14
Total Rome units lost: 10

Attachments
fsscr001.jpg
fsscr001.jpg (476.41 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

TURN 8

Senate decree: Reinforce Italy.

01 African Infantry and 1 Naval squadron are raised at Carthage. I decide to reinforce my fleet to increse my sealift capacity to sent forces to Italy.

Carthalo sent to Etruria by Sea with 1 Elephant unit and 1 african Infantry Unit. He will reinforce Hannibal´s Army.

Hasdrubal sent to Carthago by Sea. I need a commander there to avoid any Rome raid into Africa. I have not many forces there but I would recall any of my commanders to HOme if neccesary.

Mago moves to Mediolanum with recruiting on mind after one year on Gaul.

Hannibal´s Army take forces from Pisa (2 Italian Infantry and 1 African Infantry).

Senate Influence Option Card is draw from the Pile.

Spanish recruitings: 1 spanish infantry to Hanno at New Carthago
Cisalpine Gaul recruiting: 1 gaul infantry to Mago
Etrurian recruitings: 1 italian infantry to Pisa

ROME TURN

Scipio with 3 latin plus 1 Rome legio moves from Tarentum to Capua. He is reinforced and with his huge Army (8 latin legions, 6 rome legions and 1 latin cavalry) he moves to Etruria. Hannibal´s decide to intercept them. Inspired troops battle card was selected.

In the huge battle 5 lating legions, 1 Rome legions and 1 latin cavalry are destroyed vs 1 Italian Infantry, 2 african infantry and 1 african light cavalry units.

Enemy routed army has taken refugee in Rome. Hannibal on the March Option Card is draw from the pile.

Rome recruiting:

1 Latin Legio to Ancona
1 Latin Legio to Asculum
1 Rome Legio to Capua
1 Latin Legio to Neapolis
1 Rome Legio to Rome
1 Spanish Infantry to Livius

Fulvius is reelected Praetor
Minucius and Tuditanus are elected Consuls
Livius is reelected Propraetor
Caecilius is elected Praetor

I send my advice to senate: REINFORCE ITALY (It´s needed after the huge battle against Scipio´s Army)

TOTAL CARTHAGE UNITS RAISED: 5
TOTAL CARTHAGE UNITS LOST: 4

TOTAL ROME UNITS RAISED: 5
TOTAL ROME UNITS LOST: 7

Attachments
fsscr001.jpg
fsscr001.jpg (539.75 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

TURN 09

Senate decree: Reinforce Spain. (Obviusly with the main Rome army in the Iberian Penninsula).

01 African infantry is raised at Carthage.

Hasdrubal sent to Spain from Carthage with 1 African and 1 Spanish infantry units (a great battle will be take there now or later!, it´s time to change Hanno by Hasdrubal and reinforce him).

Hanno is recalled to Carthage from N.Carthage.

Carthalo sent forces to Hannibal (this forces were transfered by sea the former turn): 1 Elephant and 1 African infantry units. Carthalo gone to Pisa himself.

Emergency levies Option Card is draw from the Pile.

1 Spanish infantry is recruited to Hasdrubal at New Carthago.
1 Italian Infantry is recruited to Pisa garrison.

ROME TURN:

Minucio is activated with the main Army at Italy. Rome play "Reinforcements in Rome" option card. Rome gets 1 extra Rome Cavalry Unit. In respond I played "Gallic Insurrection" : 4 Militia and 2 Rome Infantry Units were lost and Patavium has joined itseft to Carthage.
Minucius moves to Placentia and I decide to decline interception against the huge Rome Army (7 Rome Legions, 4 Auxiliars Legions plus 1 Cavalry Unit) without Battle Card on hand. Minucius storms Pavantium: I lost 2 Carthage militia units there vs 1 Latin Legion lost by Minucius. After the storm, Minucius Army put under siege Mediolanum ( I will must to run with Hannibal the next turn, but only with a battle card option on hand ).

Rome recruiting:

1 Latin Legion to Ancona
1 Latin Legion to Asculum
1 Rome Legion to Capua
1 Latin Cavalry to Neapolis
1 Latin Legion to Rome
2 Latin Cavalry to Tarentum
1 Spanish Infantry to Livius at Spain

Fulvis and Gracchus are elected consuls.
Livius is reelected Propraetor
Nero and Crassus are elected Praetors

The ruler of Syracuse has died. The new ruler decided to maintain the city´s alliance with Rome.

Advise to Senate: REINFORCE ITALY (I will need forces to the next future battle against Minucius Army at Cisalpine Gaul).

TOTAL UNITS RAISED BY CARTHAGE: 3
TOTAL UNITS LOST BY CARTHAGE: 2

TOTAL UNITS RAISED BY ROME: 9
TOTAL UNITS LOST BY ROME: 6

Attachments
fsscr001.jpg
fsscr001.jpg (849.54 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

I just moved this over from our development forum. Thank you to Fletcher for writing it up and being willing to share it with the public. This is based on a recent beta version of the game.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

TURN 10

Senate has decreeted to sent reinforce to Italy (must needed to Hannibal´s Army)

01 African Infantry is raised at Carthage.

04 command Phases are supported for this turn.

Storms have ravaged the Ionian Sea and one roman fleet was driven to port (-->Syracuse)

Crassus Army stand sieging Mediolanum with 7 Rome Legions supported by 3 Auxiliar Infantry Units plus 1 Rome Cavalry unit. It´s time to end with this siege!.

Hannibal takes the first command phase to cross the mountains into Cisalpine Gaul playing "Secret Mountains Pass" Option Card. He has taken 2 Italian Infantry from Pisa garrison to reinforce his Army. Crassus decides to abandon Sieges and a new option card is draw from the pile (TREACHERY).

Treachery is played against Genua at once !... 4 Infantry Militia units plus 1 rome cavalry are destroyed and Genua change sides to join with Hannibal. I try to chase Crassus Army without any Battle Card on hand, but Crassus refuses to offer a pitched battle and remains in camp. Hannibal take decision to not storm the enemy camp.

Hanno is activated in my second command phase to sent with 2 african infantry from Carthage to Pisa with my only 2 available sealift points.

Carthalo is recalled to Carthage by Sea Movement.

Mago left Mediolanum with his Gaul Army (3 Gaul infantry and 2 Gaul cavalry). A bad decision like we will see later.

Recruitings:

From Cisalpine Gaul ----> 1 Gaul Infantry to Hannibal´s Army
From Etruria -----------> 1 Italian Infantry to Pisa garrison

ROME TURN

Gracchus is activated without movements.
Fulvius at Ancona with 4 Rome legions move to Campania and embarking at Rome landings at Emporion with 5 legions (!!).

Syracuse/Rome Fleet departure from Syracuse to Ionian Sea.

Crassus Army at Cisalpine attack Mago´s Army. Carthage forces are outmaneuvred and he must to accept the battle with his gauls. 02 Rome Legions are destroyed but all Mago Army is eliminated (3 Gaul infantry plus 2 Gaul Cav). Mago is killed. A big disaster for the Carthage cause.

Crassus Army moves to Etruria and storms Perusia. Two Carthage militia units are destroyed with the lost of 1 latin legion.

After capture of Perusia, Crassus march to storms Pisa (!!). Rome Siege Option Card is played by Rome and 2 militia units are destroyed. Rome lost 1 Cavalry unit and 1 Rome Legion with the lost of 2 African infantry, 1 italian infantry and 2 militia units. Hanno is killed (his lost will not be missed at Carthage). A second disaster in this turn !

Tuditanus and Crassus are elected Consuls
Nero is elected Praetor
Minucius and Caecilius are elected Praetors

Mottones (new Carthage leader) arrives to Carthage (!)

Hannibal Advise to Senate: REINFORCE ITALY !

TOTAL UNITS RAISED BY CARTHAGE: 3
TOTAL UNITS LOST BY CARTHAGE: 14 and 2 leaders (!)

TOTAL UNITS RAISED BY ROME: 1
TOTAL UNITS LOST BY ROME: 10

Attachments
fsscr001.jpg
fsscr001.jpg (480.13 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

TURN 12

01 African Cavalry raised at Carthage.
Senate decrees reinforce Spain (it is a need with a huge Rome Army at Emporion).

03 Command Phases are supported this turn.

- Hannibal is activated like first command phase to storms Turin and Patavium. Both cities are captured without Carthage losses. Rome lost 2 Militia units at each. 4 Enemy units destroyed at Cisalpine Gaul. I am thinking in recruit gauls there and I decide to not move Hannibal´s Army to storms Genua (with 3 militia units and without enough forces to garrison it).

- Mottones with 1 African Cavalry moves by sealift to New Carthage to reinforce Hasdrubal at Spain. I am very weak at Africa and I must to think in a potential Rome landing there, but for the other hand the huge Rome Army at Spain would storm New Carthage soon.

I have another Command Phase, but I prefer do not use it because I will not sent more forces to Spain, I have not more armies at Italy and I´ll not attack Rome Army at Spain.

This turn I have not recruits from Spain or Cisalpine Gaul (a disgrateful surprise)

SENATE INFLUENCE advise Option Card is draw from the Pile (I will keep on hand it for a later turn).

ROME TURN:

One Rome Fleet was driven to port due heavy storms at Ionian Sea (Enemy naval squadros take refugee on Syracuse port).

ROME play "Rebellion in Spain" (Is Rome thinking in an storm over N.Carthage?). I lost 1 spanish infantry, 1 african infantry and 1 african cavalry. In responds, I played "REBELLION ON SARDINIA" Option Card. 04 Rome militia units and 2 Infantry Units (Rome or Aux legions) are lost by Rome. Olbia has joined itself to Carthage.

Minucius Army moves to Spain with 4 Rome Legions, 3 Auxiliar Infantry and 1 Rome Cavalry. He reinforce the Rome Spanish Army at Emporion.

Syracuse and Rome combined fleet departure from Syracuse to Ionian Sea.

Caecilius is activated at Rome but not activities against Carthage are displayed.

Roman Senate has not authorized any new recruit this year !!... A good new!

TOTAL UNIT RAISED BY CARTHAGE THIS TURN: 1
TOTAL UNITS LOST BY CARTHAGE THIS TURN: 3

TOTAL UNITS RAISED BY ROME THIS TURN: 0
TOTAL UNITS LOST BY ROME THIS TURN: 10

Attachments
fsscr006.gif
fsscr006.gif (375.4 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

TURN 13

01 African Infantry, 1 African Cavalry and 1 Naval Sqdrn are raised at Carthage.
Senate decrees Upgrade defenses in Africa.

04 Command Phases are supported.

Recruit 2 extra units in Northern Italy Option Card is played to reinforce Italy.
With a huge Rome Army at Spain and no Rome/Auxiliar Legions at Etruria or Cisalpine Gaul it is time to storm Genua. I played a Option Card a Rome must to withdraw 2 units from 2 different groups (I choose Ariminum and Genua: Rome lost 2 militia units).

- Hannibal´s Army phases. Storming Genua I lost 1 italian infantry vs 2 Rome Militia units destroyed. Genua is captured. Storming Ariminum I have no losses with 1 Rome Militia unit destroyed. Ariminum falls in my hands. Corfinium is stormed by Hannibal. I lost 1 Italian and 1 Gaul infantry units vs 2 Rome Militia units but I am so near to Rome... Spanish Armies must to be recalled !

Macedonian Aid Card is played. 4 Macedonian Naval Sqdrns arrives to Adriatic Sea.
Senate influence Option Card is draw from the Pile.

No recruitings for this turn !

ROME TURN:

04 Rome fleets departure from Tarentum to engaged Macedonian Naval Sqdrns at Adriatic. 3 Macedonian Sqdrn vs 1 Rome Sqdrn lost. My lonely survivor Naval Sqdn take refugee at Ariminum port.

NO main movements, storms or attacks of the Rome Armies.

Rome Recruitings: 1 Naval Sqdrn at Tarentum.

Nero and Crassus are elected consuls
Valerius and Fabius are elected Praetors.
Africanus is reelected Proconsul

Moderate influence on one vote of the Carthaginian Senate is sent to reinforce Italy option.

TOTAL UNITS RAISED BY CARTHAGE: 07
TOTAL UNITS LOST BY CARTHAGE: 06

TOTAL UNITS RAISED BY ROME: 01
TOTAL UNITS LOST BY ROME: 08

Attachments
fsscr001.gif
fsscr001.gif (378.42 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Feralkoala

Post by Feralkoala »

Thank you for sharing! It is looking interesting. [:)]
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

Hi Feralkoala, glad to see look interesting for you, I will post a new turn tomorrow :)
Best wishes,
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE
PJJ

Post by PJJ »

Being interested in ancient history, this is the Matrix game I'm most eagerly anticipating currently. The AI seems to provide a good challenge, as I suspected after playing the short demo.

This AAR gives a nice overview of the game, so please keep it up. [:)]
"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be shitted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

Hello PJJ,

Thank for your comment and reply :)
AI is hard, really very good.
I hope to follow on with the AAR tomorrow morning, today was a hard day with kitchen work :)

Best of wishes,
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

TURN 13

01 african infantry raised at Carthage.

Senate authorizes me to reinforce Spain. 3 Command Phases are supported for this turn.

To capture Apulia cities I must to reinforce Hannibal as soon as possible, but Senate can not authorize me to send reinforcements to Italy, I must to play two Option Cards at hands:

First, I played Extra Reinforcements to Hannibal taken 2 extra Italian Infantry units.
Second, I played a option card to reinforce Hannibal with 2 units already in play (2 spanish infantry from New Carthage are selected).

With new forces, Hannibal is ready for this year campaign at Apulia. First, Hannibal storms Lucerna, capturing easily. After it, he storms Brundisium and Venusia. I lost 1 Italian infantry in the last storms (Venusia), but Rome lost 6 militia units and 3 cities at Apulia, so far of Spain and with the main port in my hand.

I have 2 another command phase but I decline to use to reinforce Spain and with no other Carthage general at Italy.

Hannibal on the March Option card is draw from the pile !! That´s good, I am thinking in storming the next turn Capua or cross the mountain to put under Threat Rome.

ROME TURN:

Crassus with 2 latin cavalry units embarking to move from tarentum to Ancona.. He probably trying to avoid to be put under siege by Hannibal´s Army.

Rome recruiting:

1 Spanish cavalry to Africanus at Spain.

Nero is elected Praetor.
Africanus is elected Proconsul
Valerius is reelected Praetor
Fabius and Crassus are elected Consuls.

Advise to Senate: REINFORCE ITALY.

TOTAL UNITS RAISED BY CARTHAGE: 03
TOTAL UNITS LOST BY CARTHAGE: 01

TOTAL UNITS RAISED BY ROME: 01
TOTAL UNITS LOST BY ROME: 06

Attachments
optioncardplayed.gif
optioncardplayed.gif (363.46 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

HANNIBAL AT APULIA after 13rd turn with only 1 Option Card at hand for the next turn...

Attachments
hannibal.gif
hannibal.gif (403.01 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

TURN 14

1 Companion Cavalry raised at Carthage.

One Roman fleet was driven to port due storms have ravaged Tyrrhenian Sea. Roman Fleet get refugee at Rome.

Senate Decree: Sent forces to Gaul !

04 Command Phases are supported.

Hannibal is activated and without enough forces to cross mountais into Campania I put under siege the city of Tarentum.

All naval Carthage sqdrns are gathered at Carthage port.

No other phases are played.

Hannibal Punic Tricks draw from the pile ! (that´s very good to keep on hand when necesary !!)

No Recruitings.

ROME TURN:

Africanus with a huge Army storms New Carthage (!!): Roman played "Roman Siege" Option card and 2 militia units are destroyed at once. Rome lost 3 Rome Legions and 2 Latin Auxiliar Infantry units vs 2 more Carthage Militia units, 2 african infantry units, 6 spanish infantry unit, 1 spanish cavalry unit. Mottones and Hasdrubal were both killed. Africanus is promoted !. That´s the biggest disaster in this war !.

The Roman senate has not authorized any new recruits this year.

Nero is elected Consul
Crassus is reelected Consul
Africanus is reelected Proconsul
Fabius and Cethegus are elected Praetos.

New Remplacement leader in Carthage: Boutar and Maharbal.

Advice to Senate for the next year: SEND REINFORCES TO ITALY (Africanus probably will be recalled to fight against Hannibal or would be sent to Africa to storm Carthage!, but I ever have the option to recall my forces to Africa).

WITP-AE, WITE

Return to “Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War”