Bring back Panzer General

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Texican

Bring back Panzer General

Post by Texican »

I wish some company would buy Panzer General, update the code, improve the AI, tweak the campaigns to be semi-dynamic (i.e., Major Victory sends you to Scenario A, Minor to Scenaro B, Defeat to Scenario C), then release something graphically pleasing that will run on Windows 7.

Semi-dynamic campaigns where your units retain experience and can be upgraded with new equipment are very cool. Personally, I see very little demand for the single scenario or limited operational campaign games on this site. I'm sure some folks like them, but they do little for me.

Panzer General was a phenomenon for a reason and it needs to be brought back.
MajFrankBurns

RE: Bring back Panzer General

Post by MajFrankBurns »

It's old and decrepid and needs to be layed to rest for good like all old games. I want something NEW and BETTER not something OLD and BORROWED and BLUE!

Now if you're talking about make a REEL Squad Leader game like the Avalon Hill version and not some of these lookalike soundalikes like Close Combat remakes then I'll be all for that. [:-]
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Actually it has already been done.

Its called Panzer General forever and it is found here.
http://panzercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45039

It's free and it likes Windows 7 just fine.

As for Squad Leader, good luck waiting. The electronic rights were sold and likely will be sat on till hell freezes over. You can always play REAL ASL with the VASL program of course.
But it means you get to spend something like an omg amount of cash first to get the board game.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
pelle75

Post by pelle75 »

There is no fun in going back in time. I have enough playing PzG (and Panzer Tactics DS) for a long time. However it would be very nice to see some (more?) newer wargames pick up some of the great user interface and campaign system ideas that makes Panzer General so addictive. Adding some more hardcore wargame mechanics would be nice (at least some supply-lines).

Unfortunately the modern games I see mostly look (user-interface-wise, not the graphics) as if they come from a pre-PG era. I rarely look beyond the screenshots. There is definitely a lot of good things about PG that should be reused more often.
Trenches of Valor
WW1 Trench Raiding
http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=95
MajFrankBurns

Post by MajFrankBurns »

The Time of Wrath and Storm over the Pacific have a good look and feel of Panzer General to me. The Pacific game is exceptional and we've long needed something more beer & pretzels friendly in the Pacific WW2 department.
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

ORIGINAL: Texican

I wish some company would buy Panzer General, update the code, improve the AI, tweak the campaigns to be semi-dynamic (i.e., Major Victory sends you to Scenario A, Minor to Scenaro B, Defeat to Scenario C), then release something graphically pleasing that will run on Windows 7.

Semi-dynamic campaigns where your units retain experience and can be upgraded with new equipment are very cool. Personally, I see very little demand for the single scenario or limited operational campaign games on this site. I'm sure some folks like them, but they do little for me.

Panzer General was a phenomenon for a reason and it needs to be brought back.

Well, first that company would have to purchase those rights from Ubisoft, and that wouldn't be cheap.

Then they'd be essentially selling the same game engine 15 years after it first emerged. That probably isn't a great way to make that investment back.

Besides, if you really want them, Good Old Games has started releasing some of the old SSI catalog. PG2 and PG3D are available so far.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

The free Panzer General Forever beats GoG re-releases hands down.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I wish some developer had bought ASL rights with the intention of doing something with them...instead of Paradox....I hold this against them actually....sad but true
axisandallies

Post by axisandallies »

ORIGINAL: MajFrankBurns

It's old and decrepid and needs to be layed to rest for good like all old games. I want something NEW and BETTER not something OLD and BORROWED and BLUE!

Now if you're talking about make a REEL Squad Leader game like the Avalon Hill version and not some of these lookalike soundalikes like Close Combat remakes then I'll be all for that. [:-]
couldn't disagre more with this statement. Old thats a given, decrepid no way, have you ever played the game major frank? I think not with statements like that.
Stupid rebellion, anyhow....D. Vader
axisandallies

Post by axisandallies »

The Time of Wrath and Storm over the Pacific have a good look and feel of Panzer General to me. The Pacific game is exceptional and we've long needed something more beer & pretzels friendly in the Pacific WW2 department.
Panzer General was unique that it had "core" units, only thing that is same about these two games are the sprites. For many I know that's how they got started in war gaming classic Panzer General. Also some matrix members knock A&A and call it a simple game. But it's a great way to get younger people involed with war games.
axisandallies

Post by axisandallies »

ORIGINAL: Lützow

And you get like over 200 scenario vrs the 20 or so that come with the GoG game.
axisandallies

Post by axisandallies »

]
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: axisandallies

Panzer General was unique that it had "core" units, only thing that is same about these two games are the sprites. For many I know that's how they got started in war gaming classic Panzer General. Also some matrix members knock A&A and call it a simple game. But it's a great way to get younger people involed with war games.
No axisandallies [:-] - I was not slagging the game off. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Axis and Allies. My mentioning of it being simplistic was in direct relation to a post you had made.

Nothing at all against beer and pretzels games. In fact whilst I endeavour to play more in-depth games, I always end up wasting my money on them and going back to beer and pretzels games.
Alba gu' brath
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

What is Panzer General like? Is it very realistic?
axisandallies

Post by axisandallies »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

No axisandallies [:-] - I was not slagging the game off. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Axis and Allies. My mentioning of it being simplistic was in direct relation to a post you had made.

Nothing at all against beer and pretzels games. In fact whilst I endeavour to play more in-depth games, I always end up wasting my money on them and going back to beer and pretzels games.
I didn't call anyone's name out but there are many who look down on games that are old or "simple" to learn, but hard to master such as A&A. In college we spent many an hour playing this game. Simple no. Even playing Panzer General vrs Human was outstanding play, ever played the Polish in Panzer General and try to fight off the Germans vrs a human player? Not as easy or simple as one would think.
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

You are incorrect.....A Panzer General game done correctly would be wonderful...edit: been done...

The last pc version of Squad leader(avalon hill version) that came out sucked...remember?
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

Commander – Europe at War looks a lot like Panzer General. You can have a look at some of PG's gameplay on YouTube.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
pelle75

Post by pelle75 »

And it also gives you that warm fuzzy feeling of downloading all the game contents (graphics + sounds + scenarios) illegally for free?
Trenches of Valor
WW1 Trench Raiding
pelle75

Post by pelle75 »

And you get like over 200 scenario vrs the 20 or so that come with the GoG game.

And all of those scenarios are linked up in campaigns of the same quality as the original game? And the AI is identical, so that if I complete a campaign in Panzer General Forever that is the same as managing to complete that campaign in the original game? That last point is what has held me off from playing LGeneral (http://lgames.sourceforge.net/index.php ... t=LGeneral), a free PG-clone that was around for many years before Panzer General Forever. I don't want to play a new game that looks the same but is easier or more difficult from the original game, because of the AI having a different set of bugs. I don't want PG (or any other computer game) to be demoted to a generic boardgame like chess that can be played with different AI opponents.
Trenches of Valor
WW1 Trench Raiding
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

Commander – Europe at War looks a lot like Panzer General. You can have a look at some of PG's gameplay on YouTube.

I did like that game very much - but an annoyance factor quickly set in about the no stacking of air units in ground unit hexes. I mean...PG had it...why the hell were we going a stage back in design on a game well over 15 years old??
Alba gu' brath

Return to “General Discussion”