Question about Britain

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

ilovestrategy

Question about Britain

Post by ilovestrategy »

There's something I've been wondering. Are England, Scotland, Wales, etc. just smaller parts of Britain like California and New York are parts of the United States or is it something else entirely?

And do people from for example, England or Scotland consider them selves English or Scottish instead of British? Here in the States we call our selves Americans, regardless of which state we come from.

I apologize if it sounds like a dumb question. I've just been wondering this for a while.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
PunkReaper

RE: Question about Britain

Post by PunkReaper »

Wales and Scotland have there own Parliament with some limited powers. They are also represented in the British Parliament in London where the main decisions are made about taxation, foreign policy etc... In my experience the Welsh and the Scottish are more nationalist than the English (Remember they have their own language) Ask a Scot what his nationality is and he'll probably say Scottish, ask an Englishman what his nationality is and he will probably either say English or British.

I believe that this is due to history. The English were invaded by Rome and Romanised while Scotland and Wales were able to resist and retain there culture. Same happened but to a lesser extent under the Norman invasion. The English invaded Scotland and Wales on numerous occasions suppressing the population, thus creating a stronger bond on nationalism.

In my experience we all get along fine however you will always find some people who are resentful of the past and present wrongs and are either rude or want independence. (There is to be a vote on Scottish independence some) but the majority seem to see the benefits of a United Kingdom.

Now over to Judge for his opinion
jomni

Post by jomni »

Geographically they are all part of the British Isles.

Historically / Politically:
Great Britain = England (including Wales) + Scotland
United Kingdom = England (including Wales) + Scotland + Ireland (now only Northern Ireland)... this is similar to the United States (which is a collection of states).

The British are the citizens of the British Isles / UK.  But I think they identify themselves as English (Anglo-Saxon), Scotish, Welsh, Irish (the latter three are Celtic I think)...

The flag of UK is a combination of the English (St. George's Cross), Scotish (St. Andrew's Cross), and Irish flags (St. Patrick's Cross). Sorry Welsh simbols aren't included.

I think that difference between the UK and the US is that the UK has a rich history (pre-history, ancient, medieval) compared to the US (not counting native Americans)... where there were several established kingdoms and are indigenous inhabitants of the lands (maybe not the Anglo-saxons). So the UK is truely a collection of nations. As Punk mentioned, the Celtic kingdoms are more individually nationalistic (calling themselves Welsh, Scottish, Irish) while the English are more collectively nationalistic (calling themselves British). On the other hand, majority of the US populaiton are immigrants (Anglo-saxons again(?)... I see a pattern here.) and the States are just political boundaries instead of true nations. There is not much inclination for individual state nationalism but only collective nationalism since they are racially homogenous (not these days) and without much historical attachment to the land during the establishment of the US. By the way, didn't the Native Americans consider themselves as individual "nations"?

To the Brits and the Americans, am I correct to draw these conclusions?
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Before the advent of rapid ability to move about the US and the world the US States tended to be more cohesive individually. The Civil War is an example, did you know that several of the Southern States simply refused to allow their militaries to unite with the Confederate Army? Considering them their own private Armies.

States were never Countries ( with a couple exceptions) that is true but through the mid 1800's some of them definitely thought like Countries. Especially before the Civil War. So until the late 1800's at least one was more likely to consider oneself a South Carolinian first and a member of the United States second.

That has changed to a large extent because of our ability to travel anywhere in a very short period of time and because of several events that saw mass migration of people from one area of the Country to another.

There are still a core of people that identify with State first though.

But as a rule I suspect the Scots and Welsh are more likely to think of themselves as separate from Britain more so then a US Citizen is to think of themselves separate from the US because of State ties.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Here in the States we call our selves Americans, regardless of which state we come from.
I thought there Americans and Texans.
Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

Well as a Scot I see myself as Scottish and Scotland is part of the British Isles so I am also British. I do not hate the English.. or anyone else for that matter but I do have a pet peeve.

The Pet Peeve is when people from abroad say 'England or English' as in 'Could England or The English have won the second World War.. or The English were this, that or the next thing, when talking about Great Britain or the UK as a whole etc

As has been said above Great britain is an Island that is split into Several countries, England, Wales, Scotland and Nothern Island which make up the UK.

And no I feel no need to race over the border in my kilt waving my Claymore whilst exposing my dangly bits... thats all in the past[:D]

Cheers

Jev

Edit : altered to read better [:D]
I am really quite mad yoo know!
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

LOL Jev! [:D]
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

And no I feel no need to race over the border in my kilt waving my Claymore whilst exposing my dangly bits...

On behalf of all of us English I thank you.......[&o]
Dennistoun

Post by Dennistoun »

I was born in Scotland but my Grandfather was born in West Ham and grew up in Walthamstow - both East London districts - so really I consider myself British just as much as I am Scottish. I personally think that we all need each other in our own different ways and we shouldn't really split. We all have representatives in each others countries and for the main part get along just fine. I mean, we haven't done too badly as a team over the last 303 years.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: jomni

Geographically they are all part of the British Isles.

Historically / Politically:
Great Britain = England (including Wales) + Scotland
United Kingdom = England (including Wales) + Scotland + Ireland (now only Northern Ireland)... this is similar to the United States (which is a collection of states).

The British are the citizens of the British Isles / UK.  But I think they identify themselves as English (Anglo-Saxon), Scotish, Welsh, Irish (the latter three are Celtic I think)...

The flag of UK is a combination of the English (St. George's Cross), Scotish (St. Andrew's Cross), and Irish flags (St. Patrick's Cross). Sorry Welsh simbols aren't included.

I think that difference between the UK and the US is that the UK has a rich history (pre-history, ancient, medieval) compared to the US (not counting native Americans)... where there were several established kingdoms and are indigenous inhabitants of the lands (maybe not the Anglo-saxons). So the UK is truely a collection of nations. As Punk mentioned, the Celtic kingdoms are more individually nationalistic (calling themselves Welsh, Scottish, Irish) while the English are more collectively nationalistic (calling themselves British). On the other hand, majority of the US populaiton are immigrants (Anglo-saxons again(?)... I see a pattern here.) and the States are just political boundaries instead of true nations. There is not much inclination for individual state nationalism but only collective nationalism since they are racially homogenous (not these days) and without much historical attachment to the land during the establishment of the US. By the way, didn't the Native Americans consider themselves as individual "nations"?

To the Brits and the Americans, am I correct to draw these conclusions?
Warspite1

In answer to ilovestrategy I would say it was not a dumb question - you'd be surprised how many people from the UK do not understand....no seriously [X(]

The British Isles is made up of three Kingdoms (England, Scotland, Ireland) and one principality (Wales). That is the reason the Welsh flag does not appear on the flag of the United Kingdom.

As can be imagined with countries so close together, war was a regular feature between these peoples both before, during and after the Romans left.

The English invaded Wales pretty early in preceedings (1300's?) and I guess sort of "annexed" the country. English and Welsh tend to share the same laws to this day as a result of this "annexation" for example.

Things get really complicated with the end of the Tudors (1603) and the English king James I also being James VI of Scotland (due to Henry VII's sisters marrying into the Scottish royal family and Queen Elizabeth dying childless). But the formal act of Union between England and Scotland which united the two Kingdoms, only came about in 1707.

At this time Scotland - as an established Kingdom in her own right - kept many of her own laws and does to this day). At this time the Kingdom's flag was the cross of St George (England) and the Saltire (St Andrews cross of Scotland). England Scotland and Wales together form Great Britain.

Ireland was invaded at various times and there's some great (and sad) history surrounding at various times, Oliver Cromwell, the Pope and William of Orange, James II etc.

A formal act of union took place in 1801 joing Ireland with Scotland and England under the name, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. The red cross of St Patrick was added at this time to form the flag we know today.

I won't begin to go into the tortuous Republic of Ireland / Northern Ireland split, suffice to say this happened in 1921(?) and the Republic became independent of the UK. Northern Ireland remained ruled from London (Westminster).

The term British therefore does not technically include Northern Ireland but this is generally ignored - its easier on the tongue than United Kingdom.

In recent years there have been moves to devolve power from Parliament at Westminster to local parliaments in Scotland, Wales and (again I won't go into Ireland).

So as you can see, we are not like the USA - you are one country, while we are four - and one at the same time.

Personally, I was brought up by my parents (both of whom served their country in WWII) to be British and proud of it. In recent years I have felt myself becoming more drawn toward my Englishness in response to a lot of anti-English political nonsense at home (that I won't bore you with). But despite this, I still love the UK, its rich and varied history and the contribution of all her peoples English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh, to extending civilisation and democracy across the globe. I still firmly believe she is a country greater than the sum of her parts.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Zap

Post by Zap »

Glad you clarified. I, like, ilovestrategy was curious about the relationship. The problems of Political correctness that poison your society, we are experiencing it here as well. I think you were referring to that?
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

I still love the UK, its rich and varied history and the contribution of all her peoples English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh, to extending civilisation and democracy across the globe. I still firmly believe she is a country greater than the sum of her parts.

Very very eloquent
axisandallies

Post by axisandallies »

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Wales and Scotland have there own Parliament with some limited powers. They are also represented in the British Parliament in London where the main decisions are made about taxation, foreign policy etc... In my experience the Welsh and the Scottish are more nationalist than the English (Remember they have their own language) Ask a Scot what his nationality is and he'll probably say Scottish, ask an Englishman what his nationality is and he will probably either say English or British.

I believe that this is due to history. The English were invaded by Rome and Romanised while Scotland and Wales were able to resist and retain there culture. Same happened but to a lesser extent under the Norman invasion. The English invaded Scotland and Wales on numerous occasions suppressing the population, thus creating a stronger bond on nationalism.

In my experience we all get along fine however you will always find some people who are resentful of the past and present wrongs and are either rude or want independence. (There is to be a vote on Scottish independence some) but the majority seem to see the benefits of a United Kingdom.

I have read that there is a movement for Scottish independence. Granted I don't think it's as big as French Canadian movement. Can I be correct in saying that there must be some sense of national pride, I mean when Scotland plays England in soccer. Also would a Scot get harassed if he had a T-shirt that said Scotland #1 walking down the streets of London?
Stupid rebellion, anyhow....D. Vader
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

ORIGINAL: doomtrader
Here in the States we call our selves Americans, regardless of which state we come from.

Damn straight. Republic of Texas was its own country. We fought for our independence and we have the right to call ourselves Texans [:)]
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Thanks everyone! I understand it a lot better now.

Jev and his claymore and his bits.
axisandallies

Post by axisandallies »

ORIGINAL: Bamilus

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

Damn straight. Republic of Texas was its own country. We fought for our independence and we have the right to call ourselves Texans [:)]
But you jumped into the United States at the first chance[;)] I'm just glad you didn't jump to the Pac-10[:D]
Stupid rebellion, anyhow....D. Vader
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

But you jumped into the United States at the first chance[;)] I'm just glad you didn't jump to the Pac-10[:D]

LOL! Yea, for sure. I'm glad Texas stayed in the Big-12.
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: axisandallies

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

I have read that there is a movement for Scottish independence. Granted I don't think it's as big as French Canadian movement. Can I be correct in saying that there must be some sense of national pride, I mean when Scotland plays England in soccer. Also would a Scot get harassed if he had a T-shirt that said Scotland #1 walking down the streets of London?
First off, a Scottish person would NEVER wear a T-Shirt saying Scotland #1 referring to football because we're crap! [:D]

One of our pet hates is English commentators. I recall David Coulthard winning a Grand Prix and it being touted as a great British drive. Recently Jenson Button won the Drivers Championship in F1 and it was lauded "another Englishman joins the Drivers World Championship rankings". I have no problem with the commentators saying that about Jenson Button - he is English after all. My problem lies with the great British victory acheived by the Scot. It happens loads - and it's commentators just being arses. Same thing (as Jev pointed out) when people say the English held out well during the war. There were plenty of Scottish, Welsh and Irish bearing the brunt of the war. No-one means anything by it - it's just the confusion over the national issue...and we suffer from that ourselves - national identity crisis I mean.

Second, I would say this - there is confusion in the UK regarding National Pride and loyalty to the UK. It's not helped by the media. I'm a VERY proud Scot living in England. I love the country. I have a great English wife and a beautiful home in England. My daughters are obviously a mix. If you ask my eldest, she'll say she's English. If you ask my youngest she'll say she's Scottish. They both see my complete lack of support for the English rugby and football teams (that's as far as my dislikes of the English go - football and rugby). BUT - I have NEVER encouraged them to not support who they are.

I took my youngest to a Scotland England rugby game. She asked me what team she should support. I said "Whoever you want to darling - no-one will mind"...she said "I'll support Scotland when Scotland have the ball and I'll support England when England have the ball"...as it was, she was carried away with her dads support and shouted for Scotland the whole match.

My eldest daughter was supporting England in the World Cup. I was supporting whoever England played. Alot of people (mostly people not really attached to sport) don't understand why I do not support the England football and rugby teams...it's like this - England v Scotland at anything is a "derby" football game. They are bitter rivals on the field. England more often than not beat Scotland. As a Scottish fan, it's therefore not in my interests to support those teams. Anyone who knows about football in the UK would understand that a Man City fan could NOT and wouldn't dream of supporting Man United just because Man United were the only English team in the Champions League...use that view and you understand the rivalry between the Scottish and the English (in terms of sport).

Now, on a political level, Thatcher did nothing to ease the tensions in the UK when she systematically reduced Scotland in the 80's. She poured a wee bit of salt into the wound by "trying out" a controversial tax on a people she showed little respect for. Those things alone alienated the Scottish people from Central UK Government rule. Hence the push for devolution and independence.

Having said all that, I love where I live. I am Scottish living in England and proud of it. I love England as a country and as a nation. I feel sorry for them that they do not (for the most part) enjoy the same national pride I do. That's because they are just coming round to the fact that they ARE English and CAN SHOW it. And they should. I get all the "sweaty sock" jibes and the "He wouldn't buy that, he's Scottish" (meaning tight)...I take them how they are meant - humerous. And I give as good as I get.

I would say this though...there has always been a wedge between Scotland and England...it's a historical thing...but the media of today are truly hammering that wedge home. They seem determined to spoil the relationship. It's partly (again) to do with the indecision of whether we are British or Scottish, English, Irish, Welsh...but it's there and it's happening. I am forever watching the news and something is talked about and it's mentioned (for example prescriptions for drugs) that there's a law being passed in Scotland (in the devolved parliament) to make prescriptions free...they are not in England - and it's mentioned on the news. It just seems to be hammering that wedge further into that divide.

One of the guys at work came in and told me that the Scottish were selling England out the World Cup T-shirts. I have no idea if that's true, and if it is, I'm embarrassed. However, it's possible it wasn't...and if it wasn't - it's another example of the crack in unity being widend.

I was embarrassed to see the hostility from the Scottish at the last Scotland England rugby game I went to. It wasn't violent (never is at rugby games) - but I felt the hostility and I was embarrassed by it - even though I hate the England rugby team...I would've much rather they just let Jonnie Wilkinson take his kicks. No need for the boos and the shouts of "has-been". The guys a legend...the modern "Hammer of the Scots".

One last thing - (sorry for this) - but I would feel very comfortable walking around England in my Scotland rugby/football top. From what I gather, the same could not be true for an Englishman...and for that I apologise. However, I would not feel comfortable walking into a pub in a Scotland top during an England game.

I think the level of hostility between the two nations is more from Scotlands side - but through the media - it's becoming more even.

I love you England - I have a great life down here and many great friends. I'm happy being British - but I will ALWAYS be Scottish.

Sorry for all that. Please continue [:'(]
Alba gu' brath
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Judgedredd spoke and all was good in the world...
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: axisandallies

Warspite1

To take your points in no particular order axisandallies I would say:

Yes, there is a huge amount of national pride in each of the individual countries of the United Kingdom. For example England vs Scotland is a BIG thing, especially in football or rugby. Personally I can think of very little worse than losing at rugby to any of the home countries or losing to Scotland in football; DISASTER [;)]. That said, personally if its Scotland vs France or Wales vs Germany or N.Ireland vs Italy, then I support the home country everytime.

Both JudgeDread and Jevhaddah have made points about people talking about England rather than the UK and I would say this.

When talking about wars and history, I think the reference to England is right pre 1707 e.g. Spanish Armada, but after then, the reference should be Britain (or later the United Kingdom). However, I think this is more a "foreigner" mistake than an English mistake. I do not think I have ever heard or read an English historian talking about England in WWII. But to the extent it happens - it is wrong and I perfectly understand why that would make Jevhaddah cheesed off.

The sport point is interesting. I am a huge F1 fan and my experience is that when Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button were supported at Silverstone, the flags were 99% Union Jacks - not cross of St George. When David Coulthard was at Silverstone there were a great deal of St Andrews crosses, not Union Jack. For what its worth my view is this: if its a sport (individual or team) where British / UK are represented, then regardless of whether its Andy Murray (Scot) at Wimbledon, Lewis Hamilton (English) at Silverstone, Mary Peters (Northern Irish) in Munich or Nicole Cooke (Welsh) in Beijing, then they should be identified officially as United Kingdom (or British for ease), whilst individuals should be free to bring Scottish, English, Northern Irish or Welsh flags.

The national pride thing manifests itself in independence movements in all countries (although to be clear, not everyone that has pride in their individual country wants to split from the UK). This desire for independence can be for a variety of reasons:

- A romantic ideal (regardless of the practicalities)
- A simple belief that as a Scot/Welsh/Irish I should not be ruled by London (note at Westminster there are Irish, Scottish and Welsh Members of Parliament, but the English have the most, reflecting its larger size). There is even an independence movement within England. The Cornish believe that they are true English because they were never ruled by the Romans and therefore they want an independent Kernow (Cornwall)...
- Anger that my great great great great great etc grandfather was killed by the evil English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish in the Battle of whatever a thousand years ago [8|].

I believe that the majority in all countries want the Union to remain in place - but this may well change in the future. As far as the romantic ideal is concerned - thats why I WANT the union to remain. Personally I love the history. Take the Battle of Waterloo. One of the heavy cavalry brigades at Waterloo was known as the Union Brigade why? because it was made up of an English an Irish and a Scottish regiment; one of the most colourful generals at that time was the Welshman Picton, the heroic performance that day by the Black Watch (perhaps the most famous Scottish regiment). Then there's the English Coldstream Guards vs the Imperial Guard. Love it! [:)]

Would a Scot get harrassed in London because he wore a t-shirt proclaiming they are No.1? Simple answer - No. As JudgeDread said, the English are a hugely tolerant people. Would I wear an English football shirt in Edinburgh, Belfast or Cardiff? Would I hell....[;)]

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815

Return to “General Discussion”