A simpler version of WITP-AE?

The creators of WW2: Time of Wrath move to the Pacific theater with Storm over the Pacific. Depicting the epic conflict between Japan and the United States, players choose from 26 available countries with historically accurate orders of battle including land, sea and air units and leaders. Concentrate on directing one country or command several to lead an alliance of nations. Engage in battle over the vast Pacific with 16 unit types modelled with an intuitive supply system and more.
Henri

A simpler version of WITP-AE?

Post by Henri »

After half a day with the game (and despite my negative reaction to the tutorial), it is my impression that this is a sort of simpler version of War in the Pacific AE, which I have but which I haven't played much due to the mind-boggling size and complexitiy. "Beer and Pretzels game" or "another Pacific General" seems an oversimplification to me so far - the game is a lot more complex than that, I would say at first sight about halfway between WITP and PG, which is about right for a fun game.

I think that the game will be a lot easier to play for those who have a good knowledge of the Pacific War, especially if they play the Japanese. The Japanese player for instace starts off at the Pearl Harbor attack, so that is a no-brainer, as well as his war in China (the Japanese Vietnam?), but if he is familiar with the History he will know that what he wants is the resources in SE Asia, which means quick victories in the Philippines and Malaysia and surrounding areas before the US can gear up.Both the Japanese player and the US player might risk going after Wake assuming that his opponent would not, which neither side decided to do decisively in the real war.

There are a few good new ideas that were not in Time of Wrath, such as lists of units and commanders and reports of battles during the turn. One thing missing is a list of units (especially ships) destroyed since the beginning of the game, a feature that it would be worth copying from WITP-AE. There are some other features from WITP that the programmers would be well advised to add to the game, because I think that there is a larger market for a simplified version of WITP than for WITP itself. Another feature I qwould like is a button to see the trajectory of convoys, since it is difficult to get a good idea from the list (by the time I get to the bottom I have forgotten what is at the top).

Henri
Tomokatu

RE: A simpler version of WITP-AE?

Post by Tomokatu »

One thing missing is a list of units (especially ships) destroyed since the beginning of the game,
I recommend this for inclusion in a future patch. 
For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction
Anraz

Post by Anraz »

ORIGINAL: Tomokatu
One thing missing is a list of units (especially ships) destroyed since the beginning of the game,
I recommend this for inclusion in a future patch. 

Very tempting recomendation.
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

I want it too, but it is kinda of fun, writing this down and recording it yourself.
pomakli

Post by pomakli »

There are some other features from WITP that the programmers would be well advised to add to the game, because I think that there is a larger market for a simplified version of WITP than for WITP itself.

YES! Definitively!

[:D]

Return to “Storm over the Pacific”