Civil War General

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JeanAllTrekkie

Civil War General

Post by JeanAllTrekkie »

I dont know if you guys remember 'Civil War General 2', if you dont visit http://cwg2.org/. This game was one of the best wargames I have ever played. It was one of the top because it put you in the Generals chair. You had command over every brigade, artillery and cavalry unit with actual troop numbers (I always disliked and never bought any game that didnt portray troop numbers - That immerses you in the game. When you attack and a causulty scrren comes up saying you lost 900 out of 1200 men... it hits you... ALOT more than the computer telling you .. you lost 8 strength.) I loved the game so much I tried twice to develop a sequel... I even developed a in depth design document and started work on a engine, but as all volunteer gaming projects go... this one met the same fate. Sad thing too because Civil War General 2 had a community around it. Google it and you can still pick up sites devoted to it.

The genius of the game was that you could do anything go anywhere on the map. ex. Send 4 brigades to guard the bridge, have 2 divisions hold the main line, etc.. The User Interface was beautiful and streamlined. You immediately knew your brigade strength, its health, morale, supply. I played the game for years... and wondered why no major publication developer would pick it up.

One publisher I hoped would pick it up was Matrix games, since they specialize in Historical Strategy titles. Its a game that will develop a community as it did before, and only grow, if given proper support from the publisher. I mean think about it... Sierra stopped supporting the game back in 1998/99 and the game community were still playing, modding and supporting it in 2008 and possible today (Cant find the MSN Groups website, since MSN Groups shut down in 08... they could still exit somewhere on the net). There are still sites online to this day supporting the game. So a 13 year lifespace is a really good sign for a duplicate product to be made. Matrix or some other interested publisher could do as I did... Develop the game as a stand alone original title and not connected to the original Civil War General 2. This new game would have all the same gameplay elements, graphics, intent of the original (with some modern upgrades - for better gameplay and to distance itself from legal issues). If any publisher is interested I can provide you with a design document I developed, which would aid you in your development.

In any case. Lets open up the topic to all the past and present Civil War General 2 gamers.

How much did you love... and share your experiences! :)
junk2drive

RE: Civil War General

Post by junk2drive »

Great game. I still have the box, manual and disc. Haven't played it since XP.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
JeanAllTrekkie

Post by JeanAllTrekkie »

Anyone know if it plays on Win 7. Im eager to play the scenario Virginia 1864. That was one of the best scenario / game levels I have ever played in my life.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

If it were not for the compatibility problems, I'd still be playing it today.  I believe originally the TCP/IP community played it on the WON network, which was run by Sierra, but then that was dropped when Sierra got bought out of business.  What a shame. 

There always used to be some hot-head who had won the campaigns, then logged into the WON network bragging how they were the best player in the world.  Then after getting their ass handed back to them, they often never popped back in again.  I think this was also a part of why new blood was rare to enter the scene.  People don't like being out-classed by everyone else.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I loved that series. But I played the first game of it more than the second.

I installed Civil War Generals on my Vista PC, but I never could get it up and running.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Not CWG, but did you folks see the comment from Gil R of WCS, the developers of Forge of Freedom? He stated that they are working on or will work on a new series of games that uses an updated and expanded version of FoF's tactical battles. I have never played CWG, but have heard some people compare it to those in FoF.

Here is the quote from Gil,

''-- we will first be producing a series of releases using a greatly modified version of the FOF tactical engine for historical battles, starting with 1st Bull Run and a few other early battles. More on this soon... ''

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Anguille

Post by Anguille »

CWG2 is still my favorite game about the American Civil War....
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

''-- we will first be producing a series of releases using a greatly modified version of the FOF tactical engine for historical battles, starting with 1st Bull Run and a few other early battles. More on this soon... ''

mo reb

Yes, indeed. I've just spent the past hour trying to plot out where the fences between Brawner Farm and the Groveton-Sudley Road should go. Trying to get long, straight fences to fit into a hex system is just a royal pain...
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Anguille

Post by Anguille »

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

mo reb

Yes, indeed. I've just spent the past hour trying to plot out where the fences between Brawner Farm and the Groveton-Sudley Road should go. Trying to get long, straight fences to fit into a hex system is just a royal pain...

Sounds great...[&o]
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

(I always disliked and never bought any game that didnt portray troop numbers - That immerses you in the game.

That seems pretty silly to not buy a game for that reason.

The main reason CWG had immersion was because of the campaign system.  You actually now had a point to keep your generals alive, capture supplies, purchase/upgrade weapons, make trade-offs, etc.

jomni

Post by jomni »

I installed it in my Vista machine last month.
There were compatibility problems. It ran but there are some sound looping and an insanely large hex map.
But this is a really good game.
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

I'll have to try again. It didn't work at all when I tried it. Great game, guess it's worth the effort.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Brigz

Post by Brigz »

The only thing I didn't like about CWG2 was the elevation graphics. I understand why they did it in triangular form, but it takes a lot of eye strain sometimes, especially where the elevation changes more than one level. I used to have to play it with the elevation numbers on. If a remake was made I'd sure like to see them improve the elevation graphics.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
jackx

Post by jackx »

"So realistic it has safe re-enactor close-combat on the cover"

Sorry, couldn't resist... probably shouldn't be joking though, as I've never played the game. I'll see if I can get it to work on win7 64bit...

Regarding numbers, if there is sufficient documentation to allow for actual numbers of troops to be used, then that's great, but if it's mostly conjecture/paper-strength anyways, it doesn't make much difference to me whether numbers or some other abstract point system is used.
Numbers might make it feel more real, but only if you deceive yourself into viewing those conjecture-based numbers as more factual than the point system...
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

jackx is certainly on to something, by referring to "paper" strength. For the first time I've had to really dig into the numbers of troops present at certain battles, and see just how inconsistent our sources are. To me, the most reliably are reports in the OR by regimental or brigade commanders who specifically use language indicating that their numbers are for men present for duty on that day. However, my estimate -- based on research so far -- is that at most 10-20% or so are that specific, meaning that usually one has to rely on idealized strength figures for regiments (i.e., when everyone is healthy and present). So then there's the problem of whether you use the "present for duty" numbers for some regiments and the idealized numbers for others, which is completely inconsistent. Making this even more complicated, if you have a multi-day battle then the strength figures tend to be from the first day, and there are not always reliable records saying when casualties occurred.

Personally, I'm fine with either system, if the game itself is good. My favorite Civil War game (with which I've had no involvement, that is) is "Across Five Aprils," which uses abstracted strength figures.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Gil, will this new series support widescreen resolution? If so, I'm drooling already. [;)]
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

Gil, will this new series support widescreen resolution? If so, I'm drooling already. [;)]

Possibly. It hasn't been programmed yet, but we'd like to add it.

You'll be glad to know that one of our testers has been quite vocal on the matter ever since FOF was released, so you have a well-placed advocate on your side...

By the way, our "coming soon" forum is coming soon. So we'll be able to discuss such things there before too long.
JeanAllTrekkie

Post by JeanAllTrekkie »

Not CWG, but did you folks see the comment from Gil R of WCS, the developers of Forge of Freedom? He stated that they are working on or will work on a new series of games that uses an updated and expanded version of FoF's tactical battles. I have never played CWG, but have heard some people compare it to those in FoF.

mo reb

Forge of Freedom is one of the few games I bought hoping to get a Civil War General 2 Experience. It got close but The UI isnt simple and efficient enough, as well as some of the gameplay. But then again I dont think the developers tried to make the game like CWG. I do love the game though. It has a nice mixture of Strategic and Tactical combat. As a former game developer, designer, etc. I would love to make some edits though! ;).

I hope they make a sequel to Forge of Freedom, because thats a sure fire hit. In fact Im planning to play it in a few min.

What I would love see done is for a developer to take Civil War General 2, replicate it, and build upon it. The number one thing CWG2 needed was a strategic level of play (Im not talking about Campaign). People who play games dont want load screens they want a big game but scaled down to management level ( why Grand Theft Auto was a hit). What I envision for a CWG sequel would be to have a massive hex map that would stretch from The Atlantic to the end of Texas. Every state, every river, town represented on this large map. The way to manage it would be a zoom feature, very similar to Google's Map. On the 1x view you can view the whole of the map. Your armies would be represented by a flag. You can move them by simply clicking and draging to where you want them to go. Now when you see your army approaching a enemy force ... you can zoom down to 5x view where you can view and command the individual brigades. You can attack, charge, defend, etc. on this level of play. This would be the ultimate Civil War Experience. No other game would compare to it, but then again no company is risky enough to try it lol.

Anyway I ramble Forge of Freedom is a very good game. I cant wait to see the updates they do to it.
JeanAllTrekkie

Post by JeanAllTrekkie »

Played Forge of Freedom for a bit. Couple of suggestions from a former game designer:

TACTICAL:
- The Misinterpret Command. I know it was probably designed to bring more realism to the game, but its a very frustrating frequent occurance. There are times when too much realism in a game negates it.

- I didnt like the inability to select units. I had to pass turn until I got the unit(S) I wanted to use.

- Many times when a unit que's and their next to a enemy unit they would fire without command, and you wouldnt be able to issue a command to that unit. This should be removed. The player needs to be able to make choices. Again too much realism is not a good thing.

- The Mini Map needs to be a bit larger, more simpler and defined.

- Terrain needs to be a little bit more defined.

- The Brigade status bar (on the bottom) needs to be simpler and more alive. It needs to be more eye friendly. People today are all about a better UI. Look at how Microsoft, Google are replicating Apple's simple streamlined OS.

and to my #1 suggestion:

- Implement ZOOM. This is a must. Players need to have the ability to zoom in on a specific field of battle and zoom out and take it all in. All players prefer different resolutions of playing. Some enjoy seeing small parts of the battle field, while navigating the mini map, others enjoy the map zoomed out totally and ordering units from there... and then there are the middle people who prefer zooming in and out throughout the tactical map.

West Civ: If you would me to help in game design Id be happy to help. I think your on the right track. I have much experience.

Return to “General Discussion”