Unofficial Husky fix later today

Can the Blitzkrieg be stopped? Across the Dnepr: Second Edition revisits a classic on a new system. Created from the ground up as an expansion for SSG’s latest acclaimed game engine, Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets, the Second Edition of Across the Dnepr includes Areas of Operations, the latest AI programming and multiple Mystery Variants to keep gamers guessing. Also includes 3 free scenarios in addition to the Across the Dnepr mega-scenario: Operation Husky, Operation Konrad and Kirovograd
ComradeP

Unofficial Husky fix later today

Post by ComradeP »

The version of Husky shipped with the game is broken in some ways, it's about 50% to 75% playable I'd say. I'm currently fixing the (majority of the) errors in the editor and I'm discussing the balance of the scenario with other prominent members of the SSG community. I'm not going to add any units, I'll only edit some of the current units (which is really needed). Any OOB errors can be fixed at a later stage.

I'd like to suggest that any of you eager to play the scenario wait until the fix is released. Of course, you could play the current scenario, but it isn't going to be an entirely happy experience.

I guess that, in a short while, SSG will release an official fix too, so I'd like to stress that the fix I'm working on is entirely unofficial.

Aside from the majority of the artillery being tracked, the Across the Dnepr scenario seems to be in a fairly good shape, so I can only encourage people to play that scenario, or the excellent Konrad and Kirovograd scenarios.

Edit: OK, I may have to add a few units after all, the Germans are missing some of their divisional assets.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
TheWombat_matrixforum

RE: Unofficial Husky fix later today

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

Heh, well, best laid plans and all. Truth is the scenarios are so packed with stuff that I didn't even notice the problems you allude to in browsing about. Good to see someone is watching more closely than me!
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

OK, the "beta" (untested in PBEM) of the fix is ready.

Changelist:

-Units should now have functional shock and AT defence settings.
-Every artillery piece around 150mm is now Heavy, including the two Italian 149mm units and the German Hummel and 150mm Nebelwerfer units. They still have to roll a 4, however.
-Self-propelled artillery will never attract counterbattery fire/is never spotted when firing.
-Self-propelled artillery range increased by 1 compared to other artillery units using the same calibre to represent increased mobility. The exceptions are the two Bishop units as the Bishop isn't really a suitable mobile artillery platform compared to the Priest or Hummel.
-US AO's expanded, the Americans can now advance further in the first few turns.
-Axis surprise now lasts 2 turns.
-The first regiment of each German PzG or Pz division now has half track effect.
-Pioniere and recon added to German divisions if they had them in real life.
-Reduced sapper shock by 1 on most units that had it and made it variable (from +3 to +2 variable).
-A serious number of smaller changes to various units, mostly tweaking strengths and values.
-Regia Aeronautica airstrikes now hit at a 3, their scatter chance is enough of a penalty.
-Some other, mostly minor, changes.

I can't guarantee that the scenario will now work as intended, but I will guarantee that I will listen to any comments and try to continue to update the "fix" until SSG patches the scenario. I believe SSG is already working on a patch.

Installation instructions:

Two options:

1)
-Copy the current Husky folder to another folder as backup.
-Unzip (it's a 7zip file) the Husky file and place it in the Kharkov/scenarios folder.

2) Rename one of the two folders and keep both of them in the Kharkov/scenarios folder (after unzipping the unofficial fix).

Links:

http://rapidshare.com/files/372746690/Husky.7z.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/372750106/Husky.7z.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/372750569/Husky.7z.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/372751269/Husky.7z.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/372751710/Husky.7z.html

Husky can be downloaded 10 times from each link, so there's a good chance they'll soon end up dead. I'll add more later.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
EisenHammer

Post by EisenHammer »

Thanks...
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ComradeP,

Thanks. I'll make sure to mention this to SSG as well so that they can incorporate any fixes into the first update.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

I have a slightly different design philosophy than the folks at SSG, but most of the stuff in the editor that I've changed concern errors that were left in the version shipped with the game.

I guess the eventual patch by SSG will be quite different.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

thanks for you input, much appreciated.
A Sharif
hank

Post by hank »

A question about the boxed version

just to verify:  I read the buy page and it appears the new AtD2 game has the updated K:DotD engine.  Is this correct?  

Or do I have to download the patch to upgrade the Kharkhov engine?

If I wait a week or so, will the updated Husky scenario files be fixed and burned on the disk?  Or will I have to download a Husky patch for the version that comes on the boxed disk?

... I hate to hear all the crap about discounts.  I know some people banked on that discount but we have to support our hobby.  They'll get over it.  I have the original AtD but wasn't going to take the discount if it was offered ... I decided I was paying full price to help out those who build these games for us.  I'm not rich by any means ... and uncle sam is going to be sure I never get there ... but I only buy a couple of games a year so I can afford it on my dismall gaming budget.

thanks
[&o]
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

The new AtD2 is running the new Kharkov engine

As far as I'm aware, the patch just gives you extra scenarios and a few fixes...so you will need the patch (1.20) to play Kharkov.

It's unlikely that the patch (Husky or any other) will be on a disk...those disks are burned and waiting to go. So when you get your cd, you'll have to patch as normal.
Alba gu' brath
hank

Post by hank »

Thanks Judge

see my post at the general discussions regarding HPS's Guadalcanal.  I'll be buying Midway some time soon.  I think my gaming budget will be exhausted soon.  The only other game I'm waiting on is Panther's Battles from the Bulge.

Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: hank

just to verify:  I read the buy page and it appears the new AtD2 game has the updated K:DotD engine.  Is this correct?  

Or do I have to download the patch to upgrade the Kharkhov engine?

You must have Kharkov or else ATD will not run.

1. Buy Kharkov

2. Download the Kharkov patch

3. Buy ATD2

-

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Thanks for you hard work ComradeP [&o]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Just FYI, the ATD2 installer does include the Kharkov 1.20 update. If you install ATD2 on an installation of Kharkov that is not already updated to 1.20, ATD2 will update it when it installs. That includes adding the three free scenarios.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
hank

Post by hank »

I went back and read the buy page again.  Its a little confusing but you've cleared it up for me.  I thought it said the 1.2 came on the AtD disk along with the extra scenarios.

I went ahead and downloaded the update 1.2.  I'll install it tonight.  I'm assuming when I get the AtD disk it will check to see if my K:DotD engine is updated or not and perform the appropriate actions.

I'm looking forward to this.  I'll get AtD on order today. 

Also, I suppose the revised Husky scenario being discussed elsewhere here will be available for download soon.  ?

thanks
Henri

Post by Henri »

This is not a big thing, but I don't understand why the Kharkov 1.2 version was not the one I downloaded when I bought the game a couple of days ago - OK, it was not a big deal to download the patch and install it, but I still don't undertand why it is difficult to upgrade a downloadable game on the download site.

Henri
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

Thanks for you hard work ComradeP

Well, you should mostly thank SSG for the great scenario. I just spend a few hours in the editor trying to make it work. SSG will release an official fix soon.
Also, I suppose the revised Husky scenario being discussed elsewhere here will be available for download soon. ?

SSG's working on an official fix.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

I`d really like to play Husky. I can`t uzip the Beta fix so any idea when the "offical" fix will be available. It`s now going on 2 months waiting for the fix/patch and I don`t see it over on Run 5.
ORIGINAL: ComradeP
Thanks for you hard work ComradeP

Well, you should mostly thank SSG for the great scenario. I just spend a few hours in the editor trying to make it work. SSG will release an official fix soon.
Also, I suppose the revised Husky scenario being discussed elsewhere here will be available for download soon. ?

SSG's working on an official fix.
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

No idea when the official fix will be available.

I'll try to make the next update to the unofficial variant a regular .zip file, I didn't know some versions of Windows have difficulty with .7zip.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Thanks !![&o]
ORIGINAL: ComradeP

No idea when the official fix will be available.

I'll try to make the next update to the unofficial variant a regular .zip file, I didn't know some versions of Windows have difficulty with .7zip.
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
SapperAstro_MatrixForum

Post by SapperAstro_MatrixForum »

I knew I would find this thread again.

I take it the 'official' fix was never released...

I sent you a PM ComradeP.

Return to “Across the Dnepr - Second Edition”