Speedy vs Fabertong - time to smack back the Penguin

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Speedysteve

Speedy vs Fabertong - time to smack back the Penguin

Post by Speedysteve »

Hi all,

This is it.

The start of Fabertong and my 2nd Grand Campaign and our first on AE.

Little to say right now since Fabertong manually started his first turn and I've just ended my turn and sent it right onto him.

I'll need to see how the Japanese attack and where and try to react accordingly.

I have been thinking extensively over the past 2 weeks on my opening strategy and as things unravel over the first few weeks I'll begin to get a better grip as to what's happening and where. I don't like having to be reactive but there is little I can do on the 'big scale' over the first 6-9 months feasibly.

I will fight in the SRA with everything I have there. I will not be doing a 'Sir Robin' that's for sure. My limited experience against the AI is that the forces in SRA can get in some good licks if used skillfully and at the right time.

I am VERY looking forward to deploying my sub force. I've traditionally had good success with my subs and I will endeavour to continue this during the campaign.

I will update on a more forensic level once hostilities start!

If there are any requests from anyone now in terms of ideas, content or format etc then fire away.

I'm looking forward to looking horns with old skilfull foe!
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
crsutton

RE: Speedy vs Fabertong - time to smack back the Penguin

Post by crsutton »

Good luck. I enjoyed your last AAR. I should note that a good human Japanese player will knife right through the SRA. Forget what the devs say about the slower Japanese pace. You have less options than in WITP and your raw troops will go down much faster in AE. If he brings all of his guns expect the PI, Malaya and Java to go down faster than historical. I gave my opponents scen. #2 so am fighting against some better resources.

Protect your carriers, it is easier to get surprised in AE and your aircraft replacement rate is pitiful for the first six months.

The sub war is the best part of the game now, but your Dutch subs are no longer uber, and your American subs will really suck. Don't expect the same success that you had with the AI. I was killing the Japanese fleet vs the AI but have had little success vs my two experience opponents. (I did hurt the Kaga) On the bright side, they are not going to sink too many of your subs either.

Your Dutch air force will last about a week once he turns on them. Low experience and lousy airplanes vs overwhelming odds. Your bombers will hit a few ships but not much. With the low experience, the lack of torpedo bombers and nerfed level bombing vs ships, the IJN player should be very bold in the first four months.

A smart Jap player will just go right after the AVG. Just hound them out China as there are no replacements.

Hopefully, the new patch has made China much better. If not, well...., it just hurts to see it. At least it seems like the artillery death star tactic has been put to sleep.

Go get em....[;)]

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

1.  Is this 1 or 2 day turns?  Annecdotally from the AARs, it appears that 2 day turns particularly favour the side with the initiative and better quality troops (eg Japan in China) in land combat.

2.  No Allied player seems to derive any great satisfaction from using their subs in offensive operations.  It will be interesting to see your experience but I suspect you may have to curtail your enthusiasm and primarily concentrate on transport/mine laying for your subs.

3.  Allied Torpedo/Dive bombers seem to be useful on naval attack whereas level bombers seem to be wasted on such a mission (unless of course the unit has a high skill level).  Thus it suggests that:

(a) early on you should mass your torpedo/dive bombers where they can hit enemy task forces which are not covered by land based enemy fighters. 
(b) set non Dutch level bombers to hit only advancing enemy LCUs or base infrastructure
(c) set Dutch air to train from day one and only to be unleashed when Java is invaded (and perhaps with some consideration to activation if Tarakan is invaded and both Samirand and Balikpapan can be used for allied strikes)and enemy targets as per (b) above become available
(d) assess on day 1 whether it might not be better to redeploy American air assets (obviously only those which potentially may be redeployed) away from the Philippines to China.  Clearly supply in China to support air operations would be a significant issue, but it might be worthwhile to burn up the initial supply if you can get some early strikes against Japanese armor/artillery/base infratructure before the enemy concentrates

4.  In China immediately pull back units to defend in favourable terrain rather than bases.  Just keep sufficient troops in bases to defeat early paradrops.  Identify units which can be sacrificed (ie destroyed to be returned back at Chungking) to cut Japanese supply lines.  Remember that such units do not have to stay on the hex to cut the supply, move them away as soon as the hex becomes "A" controlled - view them as a Cassius Clay, dancing like a butterfly, stinging as a bee.

5.  Meeting the KB remains an unwise course of action but with the impact of air search arcs, early raiding of enemy SLOCs is now much more feasible than it was in WITP classic.  It just requires an intelligent use of approach vectors.

6.  Are VPs factored in to your decision making?  This is a major input into early Allied strategy options.

These are just a few early considerations.  I'm certain they have already been factored into your early decision making.  Am looking forward to this AAR.

Alfred
Speedysteve

Air Raid Peal Harbour! This is no drill.....

Post by Speedysteve »

Who would believe it the Japanese have struck a sneak, cowardly low blow attacking the US Fleet at Oahu. Initial reports are streaming in about Japanese attacks throughout the rest of South East Asia. I'm on my way to the 'office' now to ascertain the full extent of these cowardly brutal attacks and how we will react to this Day of Infamy.......

Here's what my aides have compiled so far on the ships that were hit at Pearl Harbour:

BB California, Bomb hits 7, on fire
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 8, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CA San Francisco, Bomb hits 2
CA New Orleans, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Raleigh, Bomb hits 1
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
CM Oglala, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AM Grebe, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
DMS Trevor, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Helena, Torpedo hits 1
CL Detroit, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Honolulu, Bomb hits 1
DD Dewey, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

Reports also indicate small submarines were used in this pre-planned attack. Crew were captured from a vessel numbered "Ha-24" claims to have hit BB West Virginia with a torpedo!

Over in Asia Japanese forces have been reportedly landing at Aparri and Atimonan in The Philippines, Kota Bharu in Malaya, Brunei, Manado and Ternate.

Japanese airpower has reportedly sunk BC Repulse with 5 torpedoes and heavily damaged BB Prince of Wales also with 5 torpedoes off the coast of Malaya.

Once I'm in the saddle a more comprehensive update will be provided with the initial Allied reactions to this cowardly outrage!
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Speedysteve

RE: Air Raid Peal Harbour! This is no drill.....

Post by Speedysteve »

Hi crsutton/Alfred - good to see you both and have you on board![8D]

crsutton - definitely agree with the US CV's. I've only played 1 months GC vs the AI but the replacement rates for USN aircraft are pitiful in early 1942!

Interesting throughts on the SRA and the Dutch airforce. My take on things (and my curent approach) is that everything in the SRA stays and dies in the SRA. Except things like the odd squadron and important shipping like TK's. I can only assume the stand and die approach will reap more rewards than the Sir Robin in AE?

My take on things is that the aim of the TK's in the SRA will be to get fuel to Australia. Do you agree on this?

China is a concern for me. I am dubious as to how the Chinese army can hold back the Japanese and my strongpoints are not on Chinese strategy for sure! Against the AI I managed to mass and take Ichang early on but not sure if this is possible/wise in PBEM.

Alfred -

The game's 1 day turns.

Subs - interesting. Aganst the AI during the first month I had good success north of Luzon and inbetween Borneo and Indochina. This is the AI though who is more predictable. I will stick to my traditional sub approach at game start and see what happens. IIRC isn't mine production very low overall? Negating the ability to conduct a regular mine campaign?

Thanks for your bits on airgroups. Didn't know all of this. I'll defo rest up the Dutch LCU and train the airgroups!

China - I could sure do with advice here. I've trditionally stuck around the Cities but you say to disperse troops everywhere instead?

KB - I don't pla nto take it on unless it's broken up or sus/LBA can take a lick or 2.

VP's - not overly taken into consideration. If I can restrict Faber to the historic conquests or even if he takes a bit more in north Aus or the South Pacific I don't mind. This is one of the interesting points early on for me - where Faber will make his big push after the SRA and as such where I should accumlate forces.

My gut initial feel is to build up forces throughout the South Pacific and ultimately to Australia. North Australia seems ripe for taking and this is IMO a good strategy for denyig nthis as a springboard for the Allies into the SRA.

India doesn't overly concern me nowadays due to the additional forces received with a deep invasion. That is provided of course no invasion has occured upto May 1942.

Out of interest with Australia - does it just require fuel or is anything else needed? I know we can never have enough supply/fuel anywhere right? [;)]

Great to have you both on board[:)]

Steven
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Roger Neilson II

Post by Roger Neilson II »

Some observations, from late January. Good human opponent.

1. Supply is slow and dreadful to anywhere. Jap attacks are less than in WITP, but when they come are unstoppable.
2. Dutch air numbers are a surprise top the Japs, but their quality is awful
3. Subs can cause him problems sinking AKs etc
4. Singapore falls ridiculously easily

Roger

khyberbill

Post by khyberbill »

Interesting throughts on the SRA and the Dutch airforce. My take on things (and my curent approach) is that everything in the SRA stays and dies in the SRA. Except things like the odd squadron and important shipping like TK's. I can only assume the stand and die approach will reap more rewards than the Sir Robin in AE?

You have two good Dutch air base forces that are very helpful if moved to Australia. I also lifted quite a few Dutch base forces and some infantry to Coco Islands. This little spec is smack dab in the middle of your sea lift lane from India to Oz. Much of your fuel for Oz will come from Abadan.

I am playing two PBEMs and both foes invaded Darwin (and captured all the fuel I had sent there from DEI). Both invasions suffered severe losses from CD units in Darwin; some were Dutch. I wont stockpile fuel in Northern OZ again.

Good luck against the evil Spheniscidae.
"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Bah, the Penguin is far too evil and cunning for poor widdle Speedy...[:'(]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
BrucePowers

Post by BrucePowers »

Speedy should I stay out of here since we are still in Bob with WITP. I don't want you to worry about what you are saying.

Bruce
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Who would believe it the Japanese have struck a sneak, cowardly low blow attacking the US Fleet at Oahu. Initial reports are streaming in about Japanese attacks throughout the rest of South East Asia. I'm on my way to the 'office' now to ascertain the full extent of these cowardly brutal attacks and how we will react to this Day of Infamy.......

There's only one thing to do. Send a strongly worded note of protest. Include guilt inducing phrases such as "Is this the kind of behavior I can expect from you?"
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I disagree with the advice to abandon Chinese cities in favor of good defensive terrain (forest/mountains).  My best success in China was in placing my Chinese units in big cities that were well fortified - Liuchow, Kwielin, Hengyang, Changsha, Chengta, Nanyang, Chengchow, Loyang.  The few attacks by the Japanese in against these bases were abysmal failures...until the appearance of the Japanese Death Star (massed artillery). If Patch 2 is as successful in toning down the Death Star as everyone hopes, then the Chinese MLR (well-fortiefied city bases) is still viable and certainly the way to go.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Go Penguin Go!

Oh wait, this is the wrong AAR. [:'(] [:D]

Looking forward to this Speedy.
Created by the amazing Dixie
jrcar

Post by jrcar »

get supply and fuel from Jave to Darwin, you can always top up supply to Java from Capetown.

Agree on the Dutch air units, but you need some on Java for the Defence.

Get the Caviate and Manila BF from the Philippines to Darwin.

I move the Brit div (18th?) to Darwin, releasing the Aussie units for operations eleswhere as a quid pro quo.

Try and get stuff to PM, dig in.

Good luck :)

Cheers

Rob
AE BETA Breaker
scott64

Post by scott64 »

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/
BrucePowers

Post by BrucePowers »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Go Penguin Go!

Oh wait, this is the wrong AAR. [:'(] [:D]

Looking forward to this Speedy.

I agree[:D]
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Hi crsutton/Alfred - good to see you both and have you on board![8D]

crsutton - definitely agree with the US CV's. I've only played 1 months GC vs the AI but the replacement rates for USN aircraft are pitiful in early 1942!

My take on things is that the aim of the TK's in the SRA will be to get fuel to Australia. Do you agree on this?

China is a concern for me. I am dubious as to how the Chinese army can hold back the Japanese and my strongpoints are not on Chinese strategy for sure! Against the AI I managed to mass and take Ichang early on but not sure if this is possible/wise in PBEM.

Alfred -

The game's 1 day turns.

Subs - interesting. Aganst the AI during the first month I had good success north of Luzon and inbetween Borneo and Indochina. This is the AI though who is more predictable. I will stick to my traditional sub approach at game start and see what happens. IIRC isn't mine production very low overall? Negating the ability to conduct a regular mine campaign?

Thanks for your bits on airgroups. Didn't know all of this. I'll defo rest up the Dutch LCU and train the airgroups!

China - I could sure do with advice here. I've trditionally stuck around the Cities but you say to disperse troops everywhere instead?

KB - I don't pla nto take it on unless it's broken up or sus/LBA can take a lick or 2.

VP's - not overly taken into consideration. If I can restrict Faber to the historic conquests or even if he takes a bit more in north Aus or the South Pacific I don't mind. This is one of the interesting points early on for me - where Faber will make his big push after the SRA and as such where I should accumlate forces.

My gut initial feel is to build up forces throughout the South Pacific and ultimately to Australia. North Australia seems ripe for taking and this is IMO a good strategy for denyig nthis as a springboard for the Allies into the SRA.

India doesn't overly concern me nowadays due to the additional forces received with a deep invasion. That is provided of course no invasion has occured upto May 1942.

Out of interest with Australia - does it just require fuel or is anything else needed? I know we can never have enough supply/fuel anywhere right? [;)]

Great to have you both on board[:)]

Steven

Speedy,

If Java holds out into March, you will get Dutch P40Es, (90) a version of the A20 (50), Hurricane IIs (not many) and the mitchell bomber (90) These are really great airplanes and useful to replace the pitiful Dutch fighters and bombers. However, the real question is do you want to. As a back up so that you do not lose this production the devs have given one American bomber unit the ability to upgrade to the Dutch mitchells and one Aussie squadron that can take the A20s and another the mitchells. Also, there is a RNZAF buffalo squadron that can take the Dutch Hurricanes. So if you lose Java early, you do not lose these planes. I have yet to find any Allied unit that can take the Dutch P40Es which strikes me as odd.

One wonders if it a good idea to send these planes to the Dutch at all. Even the AI was able to quickly wreck my Dutch AF and those bombers can come in very useful later on, as I just don't see the Allies ever getting enough medium bombers.

However, a good Japanese aggressive Japanese player can take Java before March rolls aroung-making the decision a lot easier.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I disagree with the advice to abandon Chinese cities in favor of good defensive terrain (forest/mountains).  My best success in China was in placing my Chinese units in big cities that were well fortified - Liuchow, Kwielin, Hengyang, Changsha, Chengta, Nanyang, Chengchow, Loyang.  The few attacks by the Japanese in against these bases were abysmal failures...until the appearance of the Japanese Death Star (massed artillery). If Patch 2 is as successful in toning down the Death Star as everyone hopes, then the Chinese MLR (well-fortiefied city bases) is still viable and certainly the way to go.

I am playing with the new patch and you no longer need to fear massed artillery.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Speedysteve

RE: Air Raid Pearl Harbour! This is no drill.....

Post by Speedysteve »

Hi all,

Starting to process my first turn orders so I'll update as I do each theatre.

Roger - That's also my take on my game vs the AI. Pilot quality and troop quality in general across the SRA is awful. Supply is just pitiful almost everywhere as well.

Khyberbill - interesting on the Dutch base forces and the Cocos Islands idea. I will have a look at this possibility when I get to looking at the SRA.

T - no comment. Such a dumbass. I might ban you from my AAR.

Bruce - not a problem. Happy for you to stay and comment etc[:)]

witpqs - Oh I can ssure you I sent a strongly worded mail to Emperor Hirotong. Mostly wishing him the best of luck[;)]

Canoerebel/crsutton - interesting. I have had no experience of the toned down artillery. I see this being the key in China. If I can mass, train and supply my Chinese behind forts I think I can hold. On the flip side I don't just want to sit back and take it. As such I will do what I can to keep Faber on his toes whilst trying to remain in force without getitng pushed back too far.

Mike - Dumbass[:'(]

jrcar - what did you use to move the BF's out of PI?

crsutton - very interesting. Food for thought there. My gut feel is to use them in Java just to try and put some hurt on the Japanese?

Good to hear from you all and to have you on board[8D]

-------------------------

First theatre I'm addressing on my first day in the office is the area around PH.

BB Pennsylvania and DD Dewey sank during the day. Other than that most BB's are fairly heavily damaged but shouldn't sink unless Faber sticks around for a 2nd day. I have no idea whetehr he will or not so I've alerted what planes I have there to attack any naval forces and my search planes are fanning out SW to NW. Some of my ships are heading into the Shipyard whilst others will repair what they can before heading back to the US.

Interestingly Faber also bombed the repair yards there damaging 20% of them which i'm repairing.

Subs are fanning out to the west.

CV's are heading south of their position (WSW of PH) at full speed before heading east and back to PH.

I'm concentratign what I can around Wake Island. I have never played a game where the Japanese player has not gone for it! It'sclearly a lost cause but I'm congregating 6-8 subs around it and have flown in the Vindicators from the CV. The F4F's are training for low level Naval attack. I will take down what I can if they come.

Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (91.36 KiB) Viewed 848 times
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

NM.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
khyberbill

Post by khyberbill »

jrcar - what did you use to move the BF's out of PI?

You have enough transports to move several units out of PI. One just has to be patient and wait for those pesky carriers to leave for re-arming. I even have a few Brit Units from HK holding down the fort in Midway.
"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

Return to “After Action Reports”