V2.1C BTR Map Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and modding.
Nicholas Bell

V2.1C BTR Map Mod

Post by Nicholas Bell »

Version 2 on my BTR Map Mod including country borders, city names (where I could squeeze them in!) and modified coastline in some areas.

V2.1  Darker Water and Spelling corrections.  6 JAN 10
Note that I have not stuck with any convention regarding spelling of named locations.  German cities are generally in German form.  Other locations are generally follow English spelling.

Includes my modifed target icons if you want to use them.

Please read the readme.htm file included.
Attachments
BTR Map Mod v2.1.zip
(274.13 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
Nicholas Bell

RE: Bombing the Reich Map Mod

Post by Nicholas Bell »

Here's what the map mod look likes.

Attachments
Image14.gif
Image14.gif (31.25 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Nicholas Bell

Post by Nicholas Bell »

Another view.

Attachments
Image13.gif
Image13.gif (44.98 KiB) Viewed 450 times
Nicholas Bell

Post by Nicholas Bell »

And zoomed all the way out.

Attachments
Image12.gif
Image12.gif (44.9 KiB) Viewed 454 times
otisabuser2

RE: V2.0 BTR Map Mod

Post by otisabuser2 »

Hi Nicholas,

I like these a lot. The naming of towns looks good. I lose track of places too easily as the map scrolls across Europe. Your names helps with that.

Also like keeping the same style icons through all the zoom levels. This saves confusion of remembering two different sets of pic for each target. Some of yours become more detailed as you go in. Love the fuel and chem ones.

Can I ask how you drew the coast outline ? Did you just trace round the coast of the game map, or use another method ?

regards Otis
Nicholas Bell

Post by Nicholas Bell »

Otis,

Glad you find the map and icons useful! [:)] The coastline was modified using a real map image (National Geographic Europe 1939) distorted to fit the BTR map, which appears not to match any know projection (it's compressed horizontally and angled a few degrees from those map projections which are close). Then I redrew it as necessary to work around the targets. Although it looks more like a real map at first glance, it is still pretty inaccurate. [:(] I attempted to add rivers, but in order to get them to flow through the towns they actually do, they meandered so much they didn't look like the rivers they are to represent. So I left them off. There is enough clutter as is.
Creeper

Post by Creeper »

Nicholas, thank you for the map.
I'm a german player and the city 'Braunschwieg' is called 'Braunschweig' here in Germany.
Or is it the same behavior with the city names as we called here the city Warsaw 'Warschau'?

Regards,
Creeper
Nicholas Bell

Post by Nicholas Bell »

No, just bad spelling on my part. Let's see what other mistakes I made and I'll fix them.

ORIGINAL: Creeper

Nicholas, thank you for the map.
I'm a german player and the city 'Braunschwieg' is called 'Braunschweig' here in Germany.
Or is it the same behavior with the city names as we called here the city Warsaw 'Warschau'?

Regards,
Creeper
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

thank you Nicholas especially for very nice modified target icons!
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Excellent Nicholas,  Only problem is that I dont use the aircrat icons and the yellow boxes are hard to see over the pale blue oceans.

The other 99.99999% is great.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Nicholas Bell

Post by Nicholas Bell »

ORIGINAL: JeffK
Only problem is that I dont use the aircrat icons and the yellow boxes are hard to see over the pale blue oceans.

I can deepen the color a bit, but too much and then seeing the black and red lines becomes a problem. A tough balancing act, especially since everyone's monitors and eyes are different - especially mine since my eyes and brain are mildly "color deficient" (Anomalous trichromacy).

Will make some adjustment when I post the next version with spelling corrections in a few days.
Derfel

Post by Derfel »

you could make the Ocean white, that fits well in the look and feel of a real WWII map, where colours were scarce.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Great mod, i like the new icons [&o]

PD: a little observation, for engine factories you use the E leter, for avionics C.. what mean C ??? [&:] and can add a letter for aircraft facotories??? could be A from assemble [:D]
Nicholas Bell

Post by Nicholas Bell »

ORIGINAL: Derfel
you could make the Ocean white, that fits well in the look and feel of a real WWII map, where colours were scarce.

There are white boxes and white distance lines which will disappear then. I am open to suggestions and creating more than one version. Perhaps shades of grey for water and land?

The key issue with the colors is we have game symbology with orange, blue, red, black and white lines & boxes. Whatever color is used for the map has to contrast all of them.
Nicholas Bell

Post by Nicholas Bell »

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

Great mod, i like the new icons [&o]

PD: a little observation, for engine factories you use the E leter, for avionics C.. what mean C ??? [&:] and can add a letter for aircraft facotories??? could be A from assemble [:D]

You are welcome! [:)]

The "C" follows the game labeling of CFAC.

AFAC = Assembly Factory AirCraft
EFAC = Engine Factory AirCraft
CFAC = Component Factory AirCraft

In the real world "avionics" refers to electronic systems in the aircraft. The factories labeled CFAC on the map were in fact historically producing mostly wings, landing gear, propellers, not just the radios, radar, and instrument panels. So IMO the program map and labeling is correct and the manual is a bit off.

I did not add the "A" to assembly factories because in my thinking a plain old aircraft factory is where they put them together [:)] No labeling needed.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Ok, i know that "avionics" in the game refers to the aircraft components in real life they can produce wings, chasis etc and in true life these are produce in many small "factories", japanese "home" factories is an extreme example hehehe.

Well, add a letter to aircraft factories isnt necesary because if engine is E, component is C the other plane icon is assambly [:D]
Nicholas Bell

RE: V2.1 BTR Map Mod

Post by Nicholas Bell »

Here is how the darker water in V 2.1 appears. Hopefully this will help with the visibility of the orange raid lines.

Attachments
darkwater.gif
darkwater.gif (40.19 KiB) Viewed 453 times
wernerpruckner

Post by wernerpruckner »

this looks much better !
Thanx

[8D] Maybe you could colour all the countries with slightly different colours? [:)][8|][:D]
Nicholas Bell

Post by Nicholas Bell »

ORIGINAL: swift
Maybe you could colour all the countries with slightly different colours?

Download this file (image in the next message):
Attachments
BTRMapModv2.1C.zip
(280.96 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Nicholas Bell

RE: V2.1C BTR Map Mod

Post by Nicholas Bell »

Which looks like this:

If you want to work with this yourself, here's the PSD file for your use. You'll have to slice up the image into 512x512 pixel segments and name them.

Sendspace 4 MB Download:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/913uuq

NOTE: If you okay with these colors the download is in the message above.

Attachments
Image1.gif
Image1.gif (53.23 KiB) Viewed 458 times

Return to “Scenarios and Modding”