Best way to use airpower in ASW?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

sandman2575

Best way to use airpower in ASW?

Post by sandman2575 »

I’m unclear as to how I should be using airpower to spot and attack enemy subs.

Let’s say you have a group of 10 medium level bombers. Is it better to give them a mission of “ASW Patrol” with ASW parameter set to 100%, OR, give them “Naval Attack” mission with ASW parameter set to 50% (presumably, 50% go searching and, if they find a sub TF, the other 50% might be able to go attack it) -- ???

(Will an airgroup with “Naval Attack” mission even attack a sub TF -- ? -- or only surface vessels?)

What are the best type of planes to use for ASW? Bombers? Patrol craft? Float planes?

The info. that davbaker posted is news to me: you need to set altitude to 2000’ for sub spotting *and* attack?

Regarding range for ASW Patrol mission: the understanding is, whatever range you set, the actual mission will only be half, correct? So, there’s no harm in setting ASW Patrols to Max. Extended Range, because they will only fly to half of that, which would be in normal operational range to begin with? And basically, you can never get ASW Patrols to fly *further* than half the Max. Extended Range?

How does the range work, then, if I have a group set to mission “Naval Attack,” with ASW set to 20%, Search set to 20%, and Range set to 10: the 20% on regular Search will go out 10 hexes, but the 20% on ASW will only go 5?

From davbaker:

7.1 ASW:

Until your pilots get to the 70+ exp, you won't attack consistently.

2000' for sub spotting and attack.

Naval search...
High altitude will spot large TF's.
Lower altitudes spot smaller TF's.

Q:The Manual says the actual ASW range is half of the normal range. if the ASW range is 5, What's the actual range? 3 or 2?

A: A general rule of thumb is that if anything is divided, the fraction is usually thrown away, so if you have a range of 5, 1/2 would usually be 2.
jwilkerson

RE: Best way to use airpower in ASW?

Post by jwilkerson »

Simple:

To kill subs near your ports:

ASW Mission
100 feet (or 1000 if the plane will not go to 100)
Max Range
Use bombs not torps, if that is an option.

To see subs as far out as possible:

Naval Search Mission
6000 feet
Max Range
Use Bombs not torps, if that is an option.

SAIEW.
AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
Admiral Scott

Post by Admiral Scott »

will planes on naval search at 6000 feet still attack subs as often than if they were lower and on ASW search?

will planes on naval search at 1000 feet have greater success ay hitting subs than at 6000 feet?
Central Blue

Post by Central Blue »

Well, I hate to argue with Mr. Wilkerson. . .

He is probably right about how it would best work in the game.

By the end of September 1942, my ASW warfare is beginning to take hold. Part of that has to do with resources, part to do with training, and part to do with -- leadership or inspiration, i.e., me studying up on what to expect from the real world examples and following same. This game (and previous incarnations) is awfully hard on AFB's that think they can get far ahead of the historical time lines by pushing the right buttons.

I have long had the Wirraways flying low to the water, and they don't seem to be nearly as certain to attack subs (after all these months) as the radar equipped planes like the Hudson III's or Catalinas. My Aussie Beaufort squadron has also been trying the low level approach. On the other hand, I haven't seen a sub near the Golden Gate since I started flying the blimps out of Moffet Field (Frisco hex). Maybe the Japanese subs have MAD detection devices? Maybe just coincidence.

To answer the questions from the thread starter:

I didn't find anything in the manual about altitude, but even a math clod like myself can understand that the less ocean to search, the better your chances. So, I now have ASW planes flying short legged missions out of San Diego, LA, San Luis Opispo, Frisco, Eureka, Astoria, Tacoma, Seattle, Victoria, etc... Imagine the same for other locations. So for those of you wondering what to do with all of those AV's, AVP's, and AVD's, this is what they were made for.

I always try to have a certain percentage of my planes flying training missions while others are active. For 12 plane squadrons, I will have about 40% on ASW, with 20% training. Three or four Catalinas can cover a lot of territory if you cut their limit to five or six hexes. For the 18 plane squadrons, it's more like 50 - 20. And by the end of September 1942, my planes are now starting to attack subs.

But what has really proved effective, is more aggressive use of ASW TF's made up of anything with a ASW rating of 4 or better. Those guys chase down the subs that have been spotted. So for all of those people wondering what do with those mine sweepers and Fairmile craft . . . If I were to start over, I would definitely work the air/surface cooperation angle a lot harder from the beginning -- where possible. Spotting subs was not the issue in the early months.

BTW, I also pick aggressive commanders for the surface ASW TF's and high naval rating commanders for the ASW plane squadrons. I have never concluded what to make of all the arguments about leaders over the years, but it feels right to pick the best leader for the story in my head that accompanies the game I am playing.

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Central Blue

I always try to have a certain percentage of my planes flying training missions while others are active. For 12 plane squadrons, I will have about 40% on ASW, with 20% training. Three or four Catalinas can cover a lot of territory if you cut their limit to five or six hexes. For the 18 plane squadrons, it's more like 50 - 20. And by the end of September 1942, my planes are now starting to attack subs.

Something I've always been consused about and never found an answer too. The manual say ASW missions are limited to half the range of an a/c. If I leave a a/c on max say 12, does the game automatically reduce the range to 6 or do you have to do it manually.
xj900uk

Post by xj900uk »

I read somewhere that the best ASW altitude was actually 2,000, not 1,000 (too many operational losses & accidents)
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

ORIGINAL: Central Blue

Something I've always been consused about and never found an answer too. The manual say ASW missions are limited to half the range of an a/c. If I leave a a/c on max say 12, does the game automatically reduce the range to 6 or do you have to do it manually.

Automatic, leave them on 12 hex range.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”