1.87 Beta 1 - UI Love

PureSim Baseball is the ultimate baseball fan's toy, with support for both casual and hardcore baseball fans.

Moderator: puresimmer

puresimmer

1.87 Beta 1 - UI Love

Post by puresimmer »

1.87 Beta 1 has the initial new UI re-skinning. Note, this is a BETA. I'd love to get your comments on the new look.

Download 1.87

View 1.87 Release Notes
Developer, PureSim Baseball
puresimmer

RE: 1.87 Beta 1 - UI Love

Post by puresimmer »

For those folks that are not going to download the beta, here are a few peeks at the changes:

Attachments
newui1.jpg
newui1.jpg (211.81 KiB) Viewed 721 times
puresimmer

Post by puresimmer »

Next

Attachments
newui2.jpg
newui2.jpg (147.38 KiB) Viewed 722 times
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

Looks good. I'll definitely download it since I'm all about eye candy!
J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

The ball park page has gone screwy. Also note that the team's W-L record is obscured by the minimize/close buttons:

Attachments
UO0002.jpg
UO0002.jpg (103.42 KiB) Viewed 721 times
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

I DO like the plain black backgrounds, as the page text is now much easier to read. However, the "graphical roster" page is still butt-ugly. [X(]
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

On the "games" page, the team logos look much better. With the previous background image, the Dodgers' logo could not be seen. I definitely like this "uncluttered" look:

Attachments
UO0001.jpg
UO0001.jpg (137.28 KiB) Viewed 721 times
modred

Post by modred »

Will there be separate custom filters for pitchers and position players?
MizzouRah_slith

Post by MizzouRah_slith »

I like it too Shaun.. glad Padresfan had you thinking about some UI work!
rjolley

Post by rjolley »

I like the look except for the Global Options on the bottom. I like the icons better.

On the DL assignment popup, the one with 15 or 60 day DL, the buttons are the old brown ones.
PadresFan104

Post by PadresFan104 »

Ah... yes! You rock Shaun, thanks for giving the UI some LOVE!! Liking the consistent look, and I agree with rjolley, I think the icons would still work, but maybe you have something bigger in mind here. Dig it!!
PadresFan's Text Sim Mod Website: http://www.padresfanmods.net
Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/padresfanmods
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I don't know if this a new issue or even in the right thread but when I click on Player Usage it's off the edge of the screen. Is there no way to avoid this application being locked in at the very left of the display?

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (164.86 KiB) Viewed 723 times
J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)
motnahp

Post by motnahp »

Going green, are we?

I agree with a couple of the other guys. The icons at the bottom add the proper contrast and look better than even more green buttons.

Poll question: Is this recent green trend related to.....

1) Shaun getting in touch with his Irish roots
2) A concern for our environment
3) A subliminal attempt to get we the users to donate some "green" to the cause
"Better to sleep with old hen than pullet" - Redd Foxx
Orcin

Post by Orcin »

I agree with KG's comment about the background on the scores/schedule page. It's a cleaner look and I like it. However, I agree with others that the picture icons at the bottom of the page looked better than the green buttons.

I really like the player card changes. It seems more organized and intuitive to have the options all together on the side of the screen.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I don't know if this should be posted here or in 1.86 since it's not a UI issue, but is occurring under 1.87. This was occurring in earlier, recent versions, too. Trying to access the Schedule Calendar makes the system go nuts. Puresim will start using as much as 90% of the CPU and just keep going without loading the calendar. I have to kill the process to get started again.

EDIT: Now, even after a restart I can't get into the schedule. It just keeps repeating the process. There is no disk activity, but the CPU is maxed out. The last time I looked at the schedule was before the first game of the season. Now that I've played the first game it seems that I can't view the schedule. How long should I let it run before I decide that it's not going to load?
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

For UI consistency, at the minimum the Accept/Ok/Apply button should be at the lower right on the Lineup Card during the game.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Here's a minor quibble. As a game vet, I know how to immediately access my team's "front office" page from "home". A newbie wouldn't know. How about adding "Front Office" under or over "Manage My Roster/Manage My Minor Leagues"?

Attachments
UO0003.jpg
UO0003.jpg (154.55 KiB) Viewed 723 times
PadresFan104

Post by PadresFan104 »

Shaun - Have spent some time with the new UI look and wanted to summarize my thoughts:
  • I really like the new "primary" layout and how it is consistent from screen to screen. I hope you have something similar planned for the Home screen
  • I don't "hate" the grey/dark green color scheme, but I think you should experiment with some other color schemes, or give the user the control over them. As it stands now, I would say it's just too dark and drab - but it's growing on me the more I look at it. I'd like to try a lighter green (Look at the Initial Association Draft "green")for the Calendar/Quick Link left panel, and have the information window (larger panel) have the darker background. I just wish I had the ability to try a bunch of color schemes myself...
  • I read the release notes and understand the Global Option buttons, but you may want to consider bringing the old icons back as they gave a "cool" look to the screens.
  • Global Options bar at the bottom needs some new color as well. I would try the Puresim logo in the traditional "Puresim crimson" and a tan or light brown gradient backgrond - rather than the gray on gray gradient. It'll make that bar contrast nicely with the darker colors above.
  • It might be me, but when I think of closing a window (like the schedule calendar), my mouse instinctively rolls to the upper right of the window. Not sure if the navigation bar for these kinds of windows should be at the top of the screen, but I thought I'd mention my experience.
  • If possible, it would be awesome if screens like the calendar, roster and lineups, etc didn't have to open a new window. If they could be embedded in the main UI window like Mgr/GM Tendencies , View Lineups, etc. it would be such a smoother user experience.
Anyhow, great start!!!
PadresFan's Text Sim Mod Website: http://www.padresfanmods.net
Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/padresfanmods
rjolley

Post by rjolley »

For the list that comes up when you right-click on a player, can you add Place on DL and Activate from DL options, at least on the Injured Players/DL screen?

On the Home screen, the buttons in the Global Options section are off. The Home button is below Games and the Main button is partially hidden, below Home.
rjolley

Post by rjolley »

Just executed a trade doing the following:

1. From the Modify Roster & Lineup screen, open a player card.
2. From the card, select Shop Player.
3. From that screen, select Shop this player to all teams.
4. Complete a trade.

When I complete the trade, I am on the player's card as if the trade didn't take place. When I exit out of the card, my player is still on my team. I have to exit all the way back to the Team Management screen and back into the roster screen to get it correct.

Return to “PureSim Baseball”