Note About IE8

PureSim Baseball is the ultimate baseball fan's toy, with support for both casual and hardcore baseball fans.

Moderator: puresimmer

KG Erwin

Note About IE8

Post by KG Erwin »

Shaun will soon make PureSim only compatible with IE8, so if you haven't converted, do so now. I've been using it for awhile, and have no issues with it. I fail to understand the reluctance to upgrade.
GNDN

RE: Note About IE8

Post by GNDN »

Microsoft's less than stellar track record perhaps?
Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues....
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

So, you have no specific complaints, GNDN? I am a previous user of IE7, and the upgrade to IE8 offered no deleterious effects to my PC.
puresimmer

Post by puresimmer »

ORIGINAL: GNDN

Microsoft's less than stellar track record perhaps?

The point I am continually trying to make is that it does NOT mean you have to use IE8 as your Web Browser. I just need IE8 to be installed because PureSim embeds it. Use FireFox or whatever you like to surf the Web.

IE is used on 95% of the screens in PureSim and I think it has served us well. I am just trying to optimize the game, and improve it's quality.

Frankly, in this case, it's no different than if I asked you to have the latest video drivers for your video card installed. I am not forcing you to use IE, just have the components installed on your computer.

Developer, PureSim Baseball
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Thanks for the clarification, Shaun. I made an error in assuming that IE8 was a required browser in order to play PureSim. The components, however, need to be installed. Sorry for jumping to conclusions. [:o]
puresimmer

Post by puresimmer »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Thanks for the clarification, Shaun. I made an error in assuming that IE8 was a required browser in order to play PureSim. The components, however, need to be installed. Sorry for jumping to conclusions. [:o]

KG, this is not just you, it is a common misconception. Believe it or not v1.0 of PureSim actually installed IE 5.5 as part of it's install! I cannot legally do this with IE7 or IE8. The good ole' days, I installed IE, nobody knew better and all was good :)

I think people hear "IE" and they surmise I am asking them to change Web Browsers. That is not the case, I just need the bits to be present.

rjolley

Post by rjolley »

You can't have IE7 and IE8 installed together, can you?

That would be the problem on my work laptop. I need IE7 for the Intranet sites and they don't support having IE8 installed just yet.

And I know, I know, I shouldn't have PureSim installed on my work laptop. But since I use it more than my personal laptop, I try to install what I like to use on it.
puresimmer

Post by puresimmer »

ORIGINAL: rjolley

That would be the problem on my work laptop. I need IE7 for the Intranet sites and they don't support having IE8 installed just yet.

And I know, I know, I shouldn't have PureSim installed on my work laptop. But since I use it more than my personal laptop, I try to install what I like to use on it.

No, you can't, and that is a fair point. I should probably do some more testing as IE6 is the biggest culprit, IE7 and IE8 are solid.
Orcin

Post by Orcin »

I have this problem also. It would be great if IE7 were still supported.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

deleted
puresimmer

Post by puresimmer »

This may be a moot point if they have some sort of policy at work, but IE8 supports running in IE7 compatibility mode to handle this case.

rjolley

Post by rjolley »

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

This may be a moot point if they have some sort of policy at work, but IE8 supports running in IE7 compatibility mode to handle this case.

Well, that's worth a shot. I'll have to take a look at the company's policy on IE8 and see if they've changed their stance in the last 6 months.
HotCornerDave

Post by HotCornerDave »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

I fail to understand the reluctance to upgrade.

On my PC, IE7 and IE8 unnecessarily eat up large amounts of memory. Do a Google search on IE7/8 memory usage or memory leak and you'll see that many people have this problem. IE7/8 doesn't properly close down the program leaving behind multiple running instances, each holding on to a chunk of memory, which eventually leads to miserable computer performance. IE6 does not have this issue.

That said, I will upgrade to IE8 for PureSim. I don't have a problem with that anymore. I now use a different web browser for personal use - problem fixed.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

The only time I ever use Internet Explorer for anything is to view my Puresim online almanac. And I wouldn't even use it for that if Firefox would display the pages properly. Internet Explorer has never been my first choice for browsing anything.
J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)

Return to “PureSim Baseball”