Help for a novice player.

War in Russia is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
igres

Help for a novice player.

Post by igres »

Hello:

Some years ago, I played a pbem WIR game with a friend, and a solo game. Now, I'm trying to start playing again WIR.
So far, my problems are:
1) I want to play first a solo game, to learn again the game. I will play as the soviet, giving maximum advantatge to the german. I plan to follow this "house rules" to make the game challenging:
a) No attack allowed on blizzard turns.
b) No axis unit can be left with supply 0 due to soviet action unless totally surrounded by soviet units.
c) An army/corps/unit can only be supplied once (no limit to supply airlift).
If you have any suggestion about it, please post it.

Also, I have found in the "house rules" posted by a player that in a PBEM game, turns have to be done without saving except after combat. Can someone explain me if there is a problem with doing part of the turn/saving/doing part of the turn/saving/doing combat? If there is, does it affect solo games?

2) Due to a problem with my computer, I lost my WIR game. I downloaded Arnaud Bouis WIR, and I discovered that it was different to the version I played (Flanker Possum mod, with Dennis Air Stats). Is there a way to obtain Flanker Possum mod?

Thank you very much for the help & info.
Rasputitsa

RE: Help for a novice player.

Post by Rasputitsa »

I have sent a PM to your address. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
igres

Post by igres »

Thank you, by now you should have my answer.[;)]
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Let me know if you want any more. [:)]

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

In answer to your specific questions

1a
That may apply to the German side, but the Soviets may have attacked in blizzard turns. If you apply this as Soviets, you may not be able to attack during much of the winter and there will be little Soviet winter offensive.

1b
The supply level is set by the game, it depends on distance from HQ and enemy control of surrounding hexes (not necessarily where the enemy units end their move).

1c
Some house rules forbid 'Supply Mules' (empty HQs established only to provide extra supply), but to my mind, I see no problem in taking supplies from where-ever you can get them. I don't use empty HQs, but if one normal HQ has more supply than it needs, or an emergency occurs with another HQ, I see no problem in stealing supplies. Patton and Guderian would have done that and surely any High Command would order an HQ to release unneeded supplies to another HQ, under greater threat.

Not sure if mid-game save affects AI games, but Alt-R command saves a status report into your WIR folder (looks like GE050743.txt - e.g. German side with turn date 5/7/43). You can check, or print this report, to see any changes after a save (it will over-write if you do it twice in the same turn, so save under a different name before you use the command again). The report gives a huge amount of information on the status of your units, equipment and pool lists, very useful during the game to see how you forces are faring. [:)]

igres

Post by igres »

Thank you very much, I will start a solo game soon, and I will try to discover if saving the game multiple times in a turn creates a malfunction in the program.

Igres
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Look at previous Forum posts (page 2) Lame Question, where I have placed attachments of documentation which may help and Map Editing, which shows how Western Front looks after a graphics update.

Have you got WIRhac, which can be used to adjust game events such as Partisans, West/Med Front collapse and Strategic Bombing. Very useful for 'what-if' scenarios [:)]

igres

Post by igres »

I took a look at Lame Question post, thank you.  However, I like the WIR original graphics, so I won't change anything. 
      On the other hand, in my previous games I have only reached year 1942, so before making adjustments to the game, I will wait until I end one game.
      Thank you,Rasputitsa.
                                             Igres

Return to “War In Russia: The Matrix Edition”