Screen resolution and map scrolling...

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

ceyan

Screen resolution and map scrolling...

Post by ceyan »

Fair warning, hopefully you can forgive me somewhat aggressive attitude, but I was too frustrated (even now after calming down a bit I don't want to change it) to be diplomatic.

Alright, first issue is that my default install (and I can't figure out how to change it) of the game only allows me to scroll the map via my mouse. I'm assuming (praying to god) that this is some minor bug with my install rather than a game involving heavy scrolling that doesn't make use of some close combination of four keys to scroll across a map (usually the arrow keys or WASD). Anyone care to tell me how to fix that?

Second issue, how do I change the resolution of the game? Its bad enough that past games (World at War) were relatively new developments without any real support for anything but one resolution, but at least you had the chance to change it even if the game wasn't built for it. I can't even find that option in War between the States. Common people! Its 2009! I haven't used a monitor with native resolution less than 1900x1200 in more than 5 years, and do they even make anything native less than 1280x1024 anymore?! Yes, I realize you can re-size the window in windowed mode, but that doesn't help in full screen mode and the window doesn't save itself, so I have to constantly resize it every time I start the game. Yes, I understand that is just a minor annoyance, but the fact that its such a basic staple of modern day computing, it literally makes me gnash my teeth every time I do it, and I've only done it 6 times so far...
Joel Billings

RE: Screen resolution and map scrolling...

Post by Joel Billings »

Yes, it's true that you have to use the mouse to scroll (or click on the jump map). Also, screen resolution must be set manually. This is a direct result of the fact that Keith is only able to give us a few hours (if that) of his time every month, so we're limited in some of the technical things we can do. I wish it weren't so. If someone knows of a technically competent C+ programmer that wants to get involved with us to help out with these kinds of issues, have them contact us at 2by3@2by3games.com. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I'm not sure I understand the problem entirely. WBTS runs in windowed mode, all you have to do is click Maximize and it adjusts to your resolution.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

True, I think he was talking about full screen mode. However, we strongly suggest you run the game in Windowed mode, and Erik is correct in saying that the windowed mode will maximize to your current settings.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

I ran into the same problem when I first started running the game in full screen mode, yucky. So I went to the windows mode and now it's doable. It is baulk sometimes moving about the screen, like going from New Orleans to New York. But all and all good enough!
Capt. Cliff
Bangui

Post by Bangui »

I use a map scrolling setting of 4.00 with a wide screen monitor set to 1920x1200 and full screen.  I can scroll across the entire map east to west in 2 seconds or less.  I'm using a Radeon X1650 AGP video card with 512Mb and a Sony 23inch wide screen monitor with a DVI-D connection to the video card.  This setup works well for this game and many others.
The Ancient Gamer
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I find that a map scroll speed of 2.00 or 2.50 is best for my desktop system. I encourage everyone to play around with the scroll setting and see what they like best.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”