Supply and Survival

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

ILCK

Supply and Survival

Post by ILCK »

I just managed to knock France out of the war the first time as a CP player. In doing so I isolated and cut-off a lot of their units. The problem is that cutting off units might be as bad for me as them. These things will linger forever. I understand fortress garrisons can hold out but in this case there were 4 French corps (nearly full strength) hanging out in Luxembourg and the hex NW for better than a year and retaining high (if not full) combat values. I don't know if Luxembourg as a "capital" was keeping them alive but obviously that is silly.

I've been treading back through my books and I'm not seeing a lot of cases of units being cut off because, faced with that threat, units tended to make extraordinary efforts to get out of the bag. Those units that did not rapidly lost effectiveness, morale and surrendered. I can't find examples of any division or larger sized field army holding out for more than a month after being cut off from their main source of supplies.

I would think that a reasonable effect of being cut off from your source of supply is that within 2 turns (4 months) the unit, if not supplied, should cease to exist and the control of whatever it occupied goes over to the other side.
zook08

RE: Supply and Survival

Post by zook08 »

I had the same problem with 3 French corps sitting in Brussels for over a year. No HQ so they couldn't do much, but they didn't lose readiness and I couldn't defest them without stripping the whole western front. This aspect of the game doesn't work somehow.
lordhoff

Post by lordhoff »

Didn't one of the later betas address this? I'm still at 1.24 so I'm not sure but I seem to recall some discussion on this with one person stating the new beta was brutal as far as how little time a unit lasts.
These biting remarks brought to you by Terry and his troops: Legio K IX, King Sarge II Commanding
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

I'd have to check one of your saves.  Is this with 1.31?  Capital or not, an isolated city should not last that long.

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”