Beta Beta2 and Official Sods

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

junk2drive

Beta Beta2 and Official Sods

Post by junk2drive »

In the future can the patches or zips be named differently? I downloaded 1.04 beta, skipped the beta2 and when I downloaded 1.04 today it wanted to overwrite the 1.04 beta that I decided to hang on to just in case. I dl'd to another location so no problem but it makes it harder to tell later which is which.

I extracted the exe to my desktop and ran it. When I right click to delete it I get 2 or 3 popups asking me for scenario passwords before I can get the delete choice. Annoying.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Jason Petho

RE: Beta Beta2 and Official

Post by Jason Petho »

Duly noted and good idea, but it is out of my control. Maybe an email to Matrix would be more effective?

Jason Petho
cw58

Post by cw58 »

Hi Jason,

Would it be too much trouble to ask for a list of changes made to the Members' Beta 1.04? In other words, what are the differences between the official 1.04 and the beta version that was available in the Members' Area? I've already done quite a bit of modding (for solo play only[;)]) to the beta and would like to be able to decide if I should transfer my modifications or just leave well enough alone. And thanks to all who worked so hard on the update, I greatly appreciate it. [&o]
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: cw58

Hi Jason,

Would it be too much trouble to ask for a list of changes made to the Members' Beta 1.04? In other words, what are the differences between the official 1.04 and the beta version that was available in the Members' Area? I've already done quite a bit of modding (for solo play only[;)]) to the beta and would like to be able to decide if I should transfer my modifications or just leave well enough alone. And thanks to all who worked so hard on the update, I greatly appreciate it. [&o]

No, as it would be a lot of trouble.

Was a lot of little things; oobs, graphics, numbers, etc etc. Too many to list, really.

Jason Petho
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I forgot to thank you all.

Now, no more for a while, I'd like to start Sealion [:D]

(again)
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
cw58

Post by cw58 »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

ORIGINAL: cw58

Hi Jason,

No, as it would be a lot of trouble.

Was a lot of little things; oobs, graphics, numbers, etc etc. Too many to list, really.

Jason Petho

OK, thanks for the quick response.
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

you have listed the changes in previous updates? too much trouble? ok.....thanks for the update jaason.....and by the way Email to Matrix for Help...GOOD LUCK
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re
borsook79

Post by borsook79 »

Since that subject has been brought up - it is not a big deal, but maybe it would be a good idea to keep the track of all the changes implemented in a patch? things like "All - Platoon files were updated for consistency." are not very informative...
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

I have to agree...for example
updated platoon files
platoon10
platoon11
platoon01

battalion
Battalion10
Battalion12

etc.

weapons file update

added
armor
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx

arillery
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx

I am sure you have a running log of what has been accomplished in a spread sheet. ie new / updated / deleted / modified
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

I changed 100's of inconsistent dates in the oob files by manual text-fecking editing. I have better things to do in my life than list every last one of these for you sods!

When Jason says there were too many to list, please believe and move on.
simovitch

marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

not saying what was changed in the file sod just what file was changed
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

i suppose you did not keep an update spreadsheet as to what was being touched so it would not encroach on future updates?
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

you guys are the beta brigade that supports users right?  All I am asking is can you supply a what has been touched list...file names...NOT what has been changed....I know I have to supply a list of what has been revised here at work so the information should be readibly available...right?.....
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

this is what I was referring to...this is a small partial list of what I have to submit. Notice it gives highlights and specifc files....not line by line code

Circuit Flash
1. updated flash technique to read mouse over and highlight
2. fixed eps.plx file to reflect color changes to plotfile
3. added to Cicuit Flash Users Guide
 Microstation to Visio Procedure
 EPS Trubleshooting Gudie
 Level Structures and How to interpret them
 Cells: Orphan vs. Organic
 Catic Process for EL Drawings
4. Added level structure to following files
 1.lvl
 2a.tbl
 color.tbl
 color_eps.plt
 added level and sheet size to output
5. Created check and Validating Program for final file format
6. Enhance Flaot Over Text to reflect carriage return text in PDF
7. Created procdure for Right Hemisphere to reflect Catia changes
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Have to agree with Simovich, there are thousands of files and keeping track of each and every change to those files is beyond the time I have.

Sort by date in Windows Explorer and you'll see files that were adjusted.

Jason Petho
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

Nicely organised....sort by date...hmmmm you do a space in a file and saves gives the new date etc. So to make it short there is no list of files that have been changed or deleted? So basically if we created files that are an earlier date but may step on your updated space....hmmmm that could be a problem....never heard of aany programmer worth anything not keeping a running list of changes sheets...especially when you deal in 1000's of code and 1000's files. That is why there is readme files in updates to inform the users what has changed or enhanced. Thanks for the Free support and guidance to this world of JTCS
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: barker

Nicely organised....sort by date...hmmmm you do a space in a file and saves gives the new date etc. So to make it short there is no list of files that have been changed or deleted? So basically if we created files that are an earlier date but may step on your updated space....hmmmm that could be a problem....never heard of aany programmer worth anything not keeping a running list of changes sheets...especially when you deal in 1000's of code and 1000's files. That is why there is readme files in updates to inform the users what has changed or enhanced. Thanks for the Free support and guidance to this world of JTCS

Always a good reason to keep a separate install of your "modded" game, as your files will always be overwritten in an update.

Of course, you altering files is against your user agreement.

Jason Petho
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

you stated in previous posts that oob's can be tweaked...anyfiile that has not been encrytped in your words can be modified and acceptable...are you saying that is no longer acceptable?
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
timshin42

Post by timshin42 »

Jason, never again will I waste bandwidth on such clowns as Barker and Dumnorix. If they are unhappy, let them find another home and another game!

I do want to express my appreciation for all the vast improvements you have made to what was formerly a totally unsupported product.

Simply put, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your effort, results, and infinite patience!
timshin42
"Freedom isn't free"
borsook79

Post by borsook79 »

ORIGINAL: barker

you stated in previous posts that oob's can be tweaked...anyfiile that has not been encrytped in your words can be modified and acceptable...are you saying that is no longer acceptable?
ORIGINAL: MATRIX PUBLISHING, LLC LICENSE AGREEMENT
(...)You may not rent or lease it, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, or modify the software in any way. (...)
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”