A need for a new weapon

Welcome to the new war raging across hundreds of light years at once, with mechanized Titans as the main fighting force.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

drgrieve4

A need for a new weapon

Post by drgrieve4 »

Hi TOS fans.

I'm a CC titan lover. Much more exciting trying to close and then deal death close and personal than raining death from the safety of my mountain top forest.

Anyways the point of this post is that there is Power Axe for Recons and the Chainsaw for Lights but where is the big hammer for Mediums? Let alone sticking a Saw on a Heavy and looking silly when a Duelist turns up.

My ideas for the larger weapon are not ground breaking but it would give some extra choices to the larger CC designs.

Option 1: War Hammer -> 20 damage, 8 tons, 4 slots, 11 seconds to reload and 7 heat
Option 2: Power Hammer -> 20 damage, 8 tons, 4 slots, 11 seconds, 10 heat, A hit causes instability like the BRG, but a miss causes a skill check like a missed kick.
Option 3: Giant Chain Saw -> 25 damage, 10 tons, 5 slots, 12 seconds, 9 heat

Bonus idea: Chain Mace -> 10 damage, 4 tons, 2 slots, 6 heat, 8 seconds at range 0, 12 seconds at range 1
Thorgrim

RE: A need for a new weapon

Post by Thorgrim »

Bonus idea: Chain Mace -> 10 damage, 4 tons, 2 slots, 6 heat, 8 seconds at range 0, 12 seconds at range 1

You do know that an hex in ToS is 333m wide, don't you? [;)]

CC weapons are meant to give smaller, faster titans an edge. Heavier titans have more powerful punches, that's their CC weapons - they're mutually exclusive. They can still benefit from the ability to call shots when using CC weapons though, that's their advantage over punches.
Not saying new weapons wouldn't be good. But there'll probably be a ranged weapons that'll do the same, and still retains the ability to punch [:)] Heavier titans need good jump ports too if they want to use CC weapons effectively.
And Machine Guns and Flamers are excellent "CC" weapons too.
Iceman
drgrieve4

Post by drgrieve4 »

ORIGINAL: Thorgrim

You do know that an hex in ToS is 333m wide, don't you? [;)]

Yeap. But if a flamethrower can do it, a ball on a chain it not much more of a stretch. Maybe having a mech using martial arts weapons is the bigger problem.

I'm not really targeting heavies and assaults, but a nice big CC weapon for a medium. Mediums can still get into CC combat and they should be sporting something bigger than a Duelist can wield.
ORIGINAL: Thorgrim

And Machine Guns and Flamers are excellent "CC" weapons too.

Yes they are, but firing 8 machines guns on a medium I find to be effective but boring (5 flamethrowers is fun though!). Now a big hammer is fun. I go *smash*.

I buy lotto tickets every week or so, If I win I will fund a sequel. The sequel would include a big hammer and a World Map. Add some 3D close ups for action replay / remove hexes (big change - haven't though it through completely) / and dynamic titan images we are get close to my idea of the perfect game.
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

ORIGINAL: drgrieve4
Yeap. But if a flamethrower can do it, a ball on a chain it not much more of a stretch. Maybe having a mech using martial arts weapons is the bigger problem.

The difference being, 333m is *not* close, as in *Close* Combat weapon [;)] Also I'm not sure how exactly you can wield a 333m long *chain*... you can drag it, sure, but actually use it?
Notice that the FT is a military grade flamethrower, not a lighter [:'(]
I'm not really targeting heavies and assaults, but a nice big CC weapon for a medium. Mediums can still get into CC combat and they should be sporting something bigger than a Duelist can wield.

Yep, like a CLG *and* a fist. [;)]
I buy lotto tickets every week or so, If I win I will fund a sequel. The sequel would include a big hammer and a World Map. Add some 3D close ups for action replay / remove hexes (big change - haven't though it through completely) / and dynamic titan images we are get close to my idea of the perfect game.

No hexes? You're not thinking RTS, are you? Hehe. You can remove the hex grid BTW.
Not sure what a world map would accomplish, it's not like all battles happen on the same planet. Except maybe for campaigns, but it'd be mostly eye candy I guess.
Iceman
drgrieve4

Post by drgrieve4 »

World map is a new type of campaign where you have resources to build / maintain bases and squads. You can conquer territory. Some territories would be of a different terrain type so it would favour different titan builds. More territory would in general lead to more resources but a dilution of defence. You also get fun stuff like alliances.

I haven't played any of the total war series but I know they have this. I guess a basic way of looking at it is the game Risk for the world (or maybe a System or even systems) map and then the battle module to resolve conflicts.

In regards to hexes - you run for 11 seconds of 12 to move a hex. You break move. You now have to still run another 12 seconds to move out of the hex. Hexes take away from realism but give simplicity.

In regards to RTS's I play them for a short while but I only really like turned based games. Except for one - Close combat on the western front. The AI sucks but for a RTS it played well except for trying to spot hidden guns from smoke and sound, and balancing issues.

This is why TOS is so long lived for me. Good AI. Good balancing for such a wide array of items. It’s fun. It doesn’t take too long to play a scenario.

I can put aside the minor issues I discover in the AI and the balance.

It’s a game that deserves funding to take it to the next level.
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

Something like MechCommander? Or Cyberstorm? [;)]  That'd be awesome BTW. I mean combining my 2 favorite genres  [:D]

Hexes: agree. Maybe you should only be able to break move in that situation if you're less than half way through the move, but that's not reason enough to completely remove hexes IMO  [;)]
Iceman
sam.vanratt

Post by sam.vanratt »

Hi drgrieve4 and Thorgrim
there are a lot of BT melee weapons a small titan could use, but most effectiv is their speed and manoeuvrability/flexibility. As big titan/mech lover (100t or 200t) I had CC experience in a lot of systems as well, but very light mechs/titans could outrun me while I was cooling down (and smashing 'em at the same time). BTW this is a strategy/tactics game not a martial arts game afair ;-)
Cheers
Sam

Demonlord
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

Actually, it *was* a martial arts game, you could kick arms and all  [:'(]
Larkin changed that in the latest patch.
Iceman

Return to “Titans of Steel - Warring Suns”