A Beginners guide to WW2 TRTV By a Beginner !! (AAR)

WW2: Road to Victory is the first grand strategy release from IQ Software/Wastelands Interactive, which covers World War II in Europe and the Mediterranean. Hex-based and Turn-based, it allows you to choose any combination of Axis, Allied, Neutral, Major or Minor countries to play and gives you full control over production, diplomacy, land, air and naval strategy. Start your campaign in 1939, 1940 or 1941 and see if you can better the results of your historical counterparts. A series of historical events and choices add flavor and strategic options for great replayability.
dave74

A Beginners guide to WW2 TRTV By a Beginner !! (AAR)

Post by dave74 »

As there are no AAR's out for this game yet i thought i would write one along similar lines to the one i did for Advanced Tactics - sort of learn as i play.

I have played two axis games so far, but only to the point of defeating poland in one and defeating the benelux in the other. So here goes - first serious game !

As it has been confirmed by the developers that the number of production points may be a bit low, i have decided to mod the files a little to bump these up a bit as follows -

** All turns are now weekly, this does not change with the seasons as normal (i.e. less in winter) - more turns = more production.

** All cities and resources on the map have been modded to double in value.

** All non-axis aligned countries will be set to 'very easy' level giving them an additional 100 % bonus in production points.

** All axis aligned countries (Current members and potential members) will be set to 'very hard' level , which will reduce production points by 100 %

What this means is i will start as Germany with normal production and all allied and comintern countries will have four times as many as normal. However i will pick up additional production points through conquest and will hopefully add more members to the axis along the way.

As i play through the game any countries that join the axis will then be then controlled by me (Using F1 to change to Human control), but not until that point so to start with i am playing Germany and Slovakia.

These are the difficulty levels for each country as explained above -

Attachments
setup.jpg
setup.jpg (33.43 KiB) Viewed 177 times
dave74

RE: A Beginners guide to WW2 TRTV By a Beginner !! (AAR)

Post by dave74 »

The scenario i am playing is 1939 and starts with the german invasion of poland. Here are my initial forces -

Attachments
germanstartforces.jpg
germanstartforces.jpg (39.65 KiB) Viewed 178 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

Germany starts the game with good progress in research, however to stay ahead i will have to invest here as soon as possible -

Each 'light bulb' indicates that research is in progress. You can purchase up to three in each field.
Attachments
germanresearch.jpg
germanresearch.jpg (18.24 KiB) Viewed 177 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

Here is Germanys production base at the outset of war.

Production from cities is self explanitory, Production from resources comes from small 'factory' type hexes on the map which as far as i can tell are similar to cities in game terms except you cannot deploy newly formed units there and they dont have any Victoy point value.

Occupied cities add 15% of their production value and then when annexed that is increased to 25.

Social unrest modifies production if it drops below 100% as does the war economy - Germany starts at 100%, other countrie build this up as the game progresses.

Finally as i am playing at 'Very Hard' Difficulty level i have a -50% modifier on those figures, cutting my production in half.
Attachments
germanini..oduction.jpg
germanini..oduction.jpg (19.68 KiB) Viewed 177 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

I am going to try and update on a monthly basis (i.e. every 4 turns). First off is the invasion of poland. To give an idea of the scale of the map and a (distant!) look at troop positions i have marked Berlin and Warsaw on this screenshot, showing the 26 hex between these cities -

Attachments
BERLINTOWARSAW.jpg
BERLINTOWARSAW.jpg (163.74 KiB) Viewed 178 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

SEPTEMBER 1939 THE INVASION OF POLAND

The idea is to contain all polish forces as much as possible with part of the army and head straight for warsaw with the rest, taking as little casualties as possible. The polish forces are not as advanced as the germans so this invasion should go to plan.

This is the situation after the initial german moves, several polish divisions have been destroyed without much loss for the germans -

Attachments
TURN 1 020939.jpg
TURN 1 020939.jpg (171.64 KiB) Viewed 178 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

The polish forces attempt to defend their cities , but make no offensive moves and pay for their outdated defence by losing their capital, and their nation on the fourth week. German tactics and fast movement overpowered the poles who seemed to want to fight a static defence by hoding key cities.

Attachments
TURN 5 011039.jpg
TURN 5 011039.jpg (126.57 KiB) Viewed 178 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

Losses in the polish campaign were relatively light. A stubborn defence of warsaw accounting for the majority of the losses.

The above screenshot shows that poland lost 21 points in the campaign whilst i lost 3.93. If several countries had participated on each side this report would show the losses taken and given by each nation to each other nation.

One interesting point was that the polish ai actually deployed at least one new unit around warsaw, i hadnt seen that before, so i think my next campaigns may not be as easy...
Attachments
LOSSESGERPOL.jpg
LOSSESGERPOL.jpg (30.4 KiB) Viewed 179 times
Plainian

Post by Plainian »

In terms of losses the campaign seems to hve cost the Germans about 2 Divisions worth versus bout 21 Polish Divisions worth of losses. This seems reasonable.

Can I just add that its always nice to see attackers taking losses in games to show that attacking isn't painless and all DE's. CEaW also reflected this as well.
dave74

Post by dave74 »

Agreed Ian,

Most were lost on a failed combined assault on warsaw, followed by a 1 on 1 which i thought might finish the polish unit off. It didnt !.
Rekm41

Post by Rekm41 »

Excellant AAR and beginners guide so far. I actually managed to get Poland in 3 turns. Moved my Panzers quickly forward to Warsaw after some of the infantry made some room for them to go. Then when they were at Warsaw had the Luftwaffe bombard. Looking forward on how you handle the invasion of Denmark and/or Norway.
Keep Moving and Keep your Head DOWN!!
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Good guide AAR dave.
Maybe you would like to post this at our game forum?
dave74

Post by dave74 »

doomtrader,

is that the forum in your sig ?

rekm41,

3 turns for poland - nice. I never said i was good at the game though did i ? [;)]
dave74

Post by dave74 »

OCTOBER 1939

After the fall of Poland the option of honouring the molotov - ribbentrop pact appeared - considering the german armed forces are in no state to fight russia yet, i agree to honour this (for now)..

Attachments
MOLRIBPACT.jpg
MOLRIBPACT.jpg (32.81 KiB) Viewed 178 times
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

dave74

Post by dave74 »

Also germanys political stature has increased due to the effectiveness of the wermacht. This will help me to sway other pro-axis countries to join the fight -

Attachments
50DPBEATPOL.jpg
50DPBEATPOL.jpg (14.96 KiB) Viewed 177 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

With poland now under german 'leadership' polish production is geared towards helping the german war effort. Although the production point ratio the conquerer receives is only a quarter of what would normally be produced, nevertheless Germanys economy is boosted -

Attachments
PRODUCTIONOCT39.jpg
PRODUCTIONOCT39.jpg (18.92 KiB) Viewed 177 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

Most of the production points that i have so far have been invested in research. I have started researching artillery (which improves all infantry units) by purchasing two 'lightbulbs' worth of research investment.

I also intend to increase combat aircraft as soon as possible.

Attachments
RESEARCHOCT39.jpg
RESEARCHOCT39.jpg (18.92 KiB) Viewed 177 times
Severian

Post by Severian »

Nice AAR Dave74! I really enjoy this :)
War, war never changes... but are you sure? Bitter Glory

Put an apple in your mouth, we'll play Wilhelm Tell - "Hawkeye" Pierce to Frank Burns
dave74

Post by dave74 »

Throughout October i am shifting forces from poland to the france/benelux border. The french are sitting behind the maginot line (You get an event telling you of this, which as you know is historical) so i have time to prepare and can attack in the west when i am ready.

One thing i have noticed is a lack of garrisons in some german cities. As some of these cities are in vunerable locations (coasts etc - see below screenshot of northwestern germany) i am going to make my first unit purchases garrisons for these cities.

Attachments
NOGARRINN.GER.jpg
NOGARRINN.GER.jpg (85.79 KiB) Viewed 177 times

Return to “WW2: Road to Victory”