MBFL Simulations - NFL, CFL, NCAA, CIS Based

Information for online leagues, fantasy leagues, office pools, etc...

Moderator: David Winter

mbsports

MBFL Simulations - NFL, CFL, NCAA, CIS Based

Post by mbsports »

I currently run a little group of leagues called MBFL based upon the NFL mainly. http://www.mbsportsnet.com/mbfl/mbfl.htm We're using Madden which for the NFL with a cap system works pretty good for us. We run 2 seasons a year with 32 teams, each with their own GM. Aside from the logistical nightmare of having 30 GMs who come and go as they please it runs pretty smoothly. We're in our 3rd season since we restarted about 14 months ago. Prior to that I was running MBFL as a single season per year for 4 years along with Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, and more Auto Racing stuff then I can remember.

Now here's where Maximum Football comes in and really provides us with value as something different.

Because we're doing 2 seasons a year with 4 round drafts after each season we occasionally find ourselves ahead of the NFL and we end up with a period where we don't know which draftable players go into each draft. We needed something that was football related that would help us pass the time and really give the GMs something to do.

On Sunday we officially launched our first branch out into the Maximum Football world of leagues with MBFL Canada. http://www.mbsportsnet.com/mbfl/mbcfl.htm We created the players using the sim and then went about editing and changing them to make them the actual CFL Rosters in real life. We also discovered we had 10 guys instead of 8 so we added the Renegades back into the league and put a team in Halifax called the Devils. We let the guy who took the Devs design the helmt<Mississippi Valley State ripoff!> and uniform. So we have 10 teams, 40 players each and we decided to do something interesting with the players so that we could have guys come into the CFL and out of it. Free Agents from our NFL league obviously would rather play football for a living as opposed to actually working for a living. So if a CFL GM wants to extend a contract to an MBFL Free Agent we'll move him over to the Maximum Football world. If that player gets signed in the NFL league, he'll leave his CFL team to do so. As a kicker I'm working on adding in some things for the teams that go to the Grey Cup such as a Cap Allowance or the ability to waive a cap penalty, things like that, maybe a late round pick or something like that, still working out those aspects. This also allows us a nice opportunity to add expansion teams if we get more interested parties for the CFL league. Slated cities are Quebec and Saskatoon at this point although we were thinking SouthWestern Ontario could be a potential market. Brandon was brought up as well but in the 60s of the largest Canadian Markets I'm kinda' torn on that one. So far after one week, so good. Casey Printers went off against the Renegades in week 1. They're really bad even for an expansion team in Ottawa. As time progresses I'm getting a little bit better each time I look thru the Maximum Football information and I have to say that it's the little things that really add to the product. There are some issues, there always will be, but overall it's a fun addition and I really appreciate the hard work that has been put into this simulation.

With Canada conquered the next step is Arena Football, we're currently pounding out rosters and my hope is to have that ready to start around February 1, perfect for taking us into the draft season. Eventually depending on the direction Max FB goes we'd like to do something College Based.

Where we know the issues are going to come up is in the offseason. I don't want the sim to create players automagically or draft them to teams or anything like that so I'll be attempting to navigate thru some of the features I don't choose to use utilizing access. I'm really excited to be able to do something unique that I haven't seen done before and Maximum Football is what is driving that.

If you're ever looking for something interesting outside of the norm feel free to give me a shout and if you're ready the forum and looking for a sim that allows you the ability to work outside of the norm, put Max FB on your list and play with it - move things around, try things out and you might be surprised at just how much of this little sim can do.

Thanks,

Mike Bedard "mb"
MBFL Commish
Detroit Lions
Calgary Stampeders
Grand Rapids Rampage

mb@mbsportsnet.com
MBFL - MB Sports Net - Simulated NFL, AFL, CFL, NFL-E
mbsports

How We Roll - MBFL Canada & Arena Update Season 1 Week 4

Post by mbsports »

Well as we roll into the Holidays the MBFL Canada league has been running pretty smoothly. We had a 73-40 game in week 2 which prompted some setting updates to bring the scoring down a touch. It worked perhaps a little too well, but we're continuing to tweek and the results we're getting seem pretty solid so far. We're not simming games out b/c the CPU tends to want to release and sign players, which we don't want to happen obviously as it's all human.

We haven't seen teams raid the NFL free agency wire yet but I think we'll see that happen eventually. Just a matter of our NFL Trade Deadline passing and we'll see a few guys make moves.

One thing that has come up over the past few weeks is that we have apparently 2 more guys that want CFL teams which means expansion to Quebec and Saskatoon. We've been talking a bit about team names and designing the uniforms and it looks like the past is determining the future in Quebec. The Quebec Bulldogs - harkening back to the city's past Stanley Cup Champions from the 1910s. Color Scheme probably goes to the Nordiques Blue and Red. Saskatoon we're a little stumped but Polar Bears is one that has been popular as well as the Saskatoon Storm. I think for Saskatoon we're looking for a unique color scheme, which means no Black/Yellow, Orange/Black, Red/White, Green White, Maroon/Blue, Black/Red, Red/Black, or Green/Yellow. If you've got a suggestion or something that you'd like to see let me know. Our current 10th team is the Halifax Devils, the logo was inspired by the Mississippi Valley State University Delta Devils and their colors are White, Orange and Green.

Have a happy holiday gents!

-Mb

Marauders

RE: How We Roll - MBFL Canada & Arena Update Season 1 Week 4

Post by Marauders »

That sounds really fun.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
Thank you for the update.
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
garysorrell

RE: How We Roll - MBFL Canada & Arena Update Season 1 Week 4

Post by garysorrell »

Go Alouettes!!
mbsports

Season 1 Update - Week 11 MBFL Canada Rolls On

Post by mbsports »

Well it's been a while since I chimed in with an update so first of all lets start here
  • I hope everyone in the Max FB community had a wonderful Holiday.&nbsp; I met up with my siblings and parents at Disney World.&nbsp; Nothing like 38 hours of driving to get your head focused on the universe, life, everything.&nbsp; The answer is 42 BTW.
  • MBFL has been busy as always.&nbsp; We started our playoffs for the NFL sim, started using Grey Dog's Bowl Bound for our new College League.&nbsp; Got a little more serious about setting up the Arena League and of course the main reason I'm here today - Kept on keeping on with the CFL
  • Your MBCFL Update shows that the Alouettes are on a roll the likes of which just don't happen. At 11-1 after their win over Saskatchewan in week 12.&nbsp; They've won 11 in a row after losing the opener to BC

In the East the playoff picture is starting to clarify, Montreal is way out front and dominant on a weekly basis.&nbsp;Hamilton and Ottawa are next up with 12 and 10 points, Toronto sniffing with 9 points.&nbsp; Halifax is a typical expansion team, they're back with only 4 points, probably going to have to wait until next season to contend at all

In the West the Stampeders are hanging onto a 2 point lead over Edmonton and BC.&nbsp; Saskatchewan is hanging around about 2 points back, but they're also looking at maybe crossing over if they can finish ahead of the Argos and Renegades.&nbsp; Winnipeg is struggling so I'll be tweaking some ratings there, they're just not performing very well at all.
  • Gameplay Notes
    We saw some way high scoring games early, edited some constants and now we've got a little bit of the opposite going on.&nbsp; A lot of games topping out in the teens for scores and even had a 1 point performance by Calgary<ouch>.&nbsp; We've loosened things up again for this weekend so we should see some points go up on the board.
    I'll update this as I play more with the settings
  • Design Notes
    Working in Access to build a better leaders page then what currently gets outputted.&nbsp; This would show the top 10 or so for each vital stat in a nicely displayed system.&nbsp; May be a little difficult at first but I think I can do something to make this nice and if so I'll publish out so that other leagues can use.&nbsp;
  • League News & Notes
    Justin Jones, who was our Winnipeg GM and our New York Jets GM, is moving away and won't have access for some time and was pushed into resignation.&nbsp; Kent Olsan who was slated to take control of the expansion Quebec team stepped up and grabbed the Bombers so they're set.&nbsp; Justin won the MBFL's Super Bowl recently and has been a great GM - he will be greatly missed by myself and the league as a whole

Justin's departure and Kent's move to Peg' means that for now we're going to delay the addition of Quebec and Saskatoon to the league until we have 2 GMs that want to pick them up.

Team Names for the expansion franchises are currently planned to be the Quebec Bulldogs and Saskatoon Grizzlies however there's always wiggle room.

Our current openings for the CFL are those two franchises while we also have the Chicago Bears and New York Jets opened up on the NFL side, if anyone is interested you can email me at mb@mbsportsnet.com or IM me via AIM at bergkamp 4 birdie

I'm working on getting the Arena stuff organized so that we can get that moving come the NFL sim offseason while we prep for that draft.
Big Thanks again to the whole team at Maximum Football.&nbsp; The winding road to get this sim where it's at is much appreciated by myself and the sim community as a whole.&nbsp;

Thanks,
&nbsp;
Mb
&nbsp;
It's been a long time comin'... it took a long time to get to me...

&nbsp;
mbsports

MBFL Canada Heads for the Playoffs

Post by mbsports »

Als On Top Going into the Playoffs - Calvillo the MVP

The Montreal Alouettes have wrapped up an amazing regular season in the MBCFL's inaugural season. Montreal won 15 of their 18 games and have the bye in the Eastern Division. Montreal was led by Anthony Calvillo, their veteran quarterback, who claimed the MVP trophy on Monday. Calvillo threw for 3,096 yards and 20 scores. Calvillo barely edged out B.C. Lions QB Jarious Jackson who amassed an incredible 4,047 yards. Jackson did receive honors as the league's top offensive player though while Brian Clark of Calgary received the defensive player of the year honors. Calgary finished first in the West despite struggling late in the year. They have the bye while British Columbia will host Ottawa who has transferred in as a 4th Eastern team in the playoffs. The other first round matchup will be Hamilton hosting the streaking Argonauts.

AAFL Feeds CFL Rosters

The MBCFL will have another pool from which to select players from as the All American Football League was launched. Giving past college stars a place to continue their football exploits the league hopes to serve the football watching needs of fans throughout the springtime. For MBFL we will not attempt to duplicate this league however the players will be eligible to compete in the CFL and AFL leagues.

Expansion That Was Off - On Again

The expansion that was planned to be on, then off, is on again, but one of the venues has changed. The Quebec Bulldogs will enter the league as scheduled under the leadership of Justin Jones who left the Winnipeg Blue Bombers last month. Jones will assume the leadership reigns of the East's 6th team while Brad Stevens will take over with the Victoria Silvertips. The Silvertips will play outdoors, which likely will lead to some interesting weather matchups. Victoria faced some opposition from the B.C. Lions ownership group however they relented and the team will join next season. Saskatoon, who lost out to Victoria in the end, has been promised the next Western expansion franchise while there are some groups in several Western Ontario cities looking into the feasibility of attracting a team including Windsor, London, Sudbury, and Kitchener.

The Packers won our NFL league for Season 3 - Season 4 Re-signings and that happy stuff is all in progress right now, while the Arena League is just getting started, the College league is in the midseason of Season 1 and the Grey Cup is right around the corner.

-Mb

Marauders

RE: MBFL Canada Heads for the Playoffs

Post by Marauders »

It looks like things are going well.
&nbsp;
A&nbsp;potential benefit&nbsp;having a CFL based offseason league is that there are likely owners lurking around looking for potential expansion teams.
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
mbsports

MBCFL - Looking for Expansion Teams

Post by mbsports »

Good Afternoon,

MBCFL is happy to report that the overall health of the league is good and has gotten better and better over time as the supplemental league to the MBFL. We have 2 expansion teams slated to be added after the Grey Cup this sunday. The Victoria Silvertips and Quebec Bulldogs. We've also gotten other interested parties and it looks like the Newfoundland Knights are ready to enter the league as well. Their colors are planned to be Gold, Blue, and Red. We're looking for possibly another team to join at that time as well which would give us 4 expansion teams. The player pool includes players from the current teams, AAFL teams, and Arena performers as well so we've got a lot to add to the mix in terms of players. One thing that has been coming up lately is what's the max out for a true Candian league and I think we've decided that 16 is where we'd like to be. Here's the lay of the land

8 Original Teams
Montreal, Toronto, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, and Edmonton
2 Expansion Teams for Season 1
Ottawa, Halifax
2 Expansion Teams for Season 2
Victoria, Quebec

Future Expansion Teams - Maybe Season 2, Maybe Beyond
1. St. John's, NFL - The Newfoundland Knights
2. Saskatoon
3. Windsor
4. Thunder Bay most likely - fits geographically

We're trying to represent the East and West and then split into divisions which would be as follows
Western Conference
Pacific Division
B.C., Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton
Plains Division
Thunder Bay, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Winnipeg

Eastern Conference
Atlantic Division
Halifax, Newfoundland, Quebec, Montreal
Central Division
Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, Windsor

Playoffs would be made up as follows
Option 1: 8 Teams - top 2 from each division
Option 2: 8 Teams - Division winners and then 2 wild cards in each conference
Option 3: 10 Teams - Top 2 from each division and 2 Wild Cards from each conference those wild cards would have basically a play in game the first weekend of the playoffs.

So basically if you have suggestions on team names, would like a team, have some observations on what we should see, or anything like that - let me know for the sake of discussion.

This weekend we have the first MBFL Grey Cup - BC & Toronto at the Rodgers Centre. Should be a good game both teams have advanced past the regular season Conference winners so they can play some ball.

-Mb
VCFL Commish

RE: MBCFL - Looking for Expansion Teams

Post by VCFL Commish »

May I suggest using Praire instead of Plains for a division since its known as the praires here
mbsports

RE: MBCFL - Looking for Expansion Teams

Post by mbsports »

Consider it done! That's an easy one to implement.
mbsports

MBCFL - Season 2 Update

Post by mbsports »

Good Evening,

MBCFL Continues to carry on with the earlier version of Maximum Football - We started our 2nd season with it and will continue until at least Season 3 starts. The reason for this is to keep our statistics running nice and smoothly. After Season 2 I'm planning on writing a DB to house the existing stats and then coming up with a way to link them in so when we look at career stats they pull and aggregate properly. Should be interesting.

Now for Season 2 the Argonauts are on top of the East at 6-2 while the Quebec Bulldogs are enjoying a nice debut season at 5-3 tied for 2nd with the Alouettes and the Ottawa Renegades. Hamilton at 4-3-1 with 9 points is right on the cusp there as well. The Halifax Devils though... after a 5-13 mark last year are really struggling this season at 0-7-1. Not good, they may need to pull in some NFL guys who aren't making MBFL rosters. Out west the Stampeders continue to lead at 6-2 with BC next at 5-3. Then they have their own logjam the Victoria Silvertips, the Saskatchewan Roughriders and Edmonton Eskimos all set at 3-5 while Winnipeg bottoms out at 2-6.

The East is definitely the stronger conference right now, but the West is coming along. The biggest news in the league is that we have our 4 expansion teams for Season 3 starting to take shape. The Newfoundland Knights will play out of St. John's while Saskatchewan gets another team, the Saskatoon Thunderbirds. Ontario picks up 2 more teams as well, both on the lakes. The Windsor Wolves will join and may play a game or two at Ford Field while the Thunder Bay franchise is still trying to come up with an identity. Some suggestions have been

Beavers
Thunder Beavers <yikes>
Lakers
Lakemen
Storm
Blizzard
Marauders
Captains

The predominant Colors are Purple/Black but I need to integrate at least one more into it - thinking Pewter.

Reaser

RE: MBCFL - Season 2 Update

Post by Reaser »

Go with Storm!!!

Metro Bowl 5 Champions!! Image
mbsports

MBCFL Season 2 - Grey Cup Next Weekend

Post by mbsports »

The Montreal Alouettes and Victoria Silvertips will face off for the MBCFL Grey Cup on June 27th. Damon Allen never got a chance to give the Toronto fans one last moment as he was hurt on a 13 yard run early in the game. Anthony Calvillo threw 2 touchdown passes on an 11-23 performance for 221 yards to lead Montreal to a 23-17 victory. Montreal's offensive line was strong on the day allowing no sacks of Calvillo while Damon Allen's replacement Cody Pickett was sacked 8 times by the Als pass rush. Montreal led 23-6 going into the 4th quarter and while the Argos made it close with a late they never really threatened Montreal without Allen. Victoria got here in the strangest of ways, they're an expansion team, by all accounts they shouldn't be in this position but they've excelled at every turn this season. Mark Lewis kept them in the game early with 3 field goals while Calgary got a Ken Simonton TD run. In the 4th quarter down 10-9 the Tips showed their skills finally and Clint Dolezel threw 2 touchdown passes. Dolezel had a mammoth day with 398 yards total including the 2 TD passes to Larry Croom out of the backfield. Overall the Tips dominated the offensive side of the ball while Calgary's sputtering offense continued it's troubles. Montreal is a true CFL based team led by Calvillo and running back Avon Cobourne. Victoria also employs a running game with much success as Joe Smith was third only to Cobourne and Ian Smart in rushing this season. Ashlan Davis will be a key receiver in the Grey Cup with Kerry Carter out of the backfield. Victoria will run early and often with Smith the key cog in their offense. Dolezel at age 38 may be getting his only shot at a title while Calvillo at age 36 is no spring chicken. The game will kickoff next weekend at high noon on Saturday as both teams try to claim their first title.

Following the season we have our expansion draft which now has details up. We have 16 teams now for Season 3 and may further expand throughout Canada if we can get some GMs who are interested in what we're doing. Working on some enhancements as we can update to 2.2 following this season.
garysorrell

RE: MBCFL Season 2 - Grey Cup Next Weekend

Post by garysorrell »

Go ALS!!
mbsports

Post by mbsports »

Well Gary will be thrilled
&nbsp;
[font=tahoma]Montreal has a championship to celebrate following a 24-10 win over the Victoria Silvertips in the league's 2nd season.&nbsp; The Als were paced by QB Anthony Calvillo who despite missing most of the second half was named the game's MVP.&nbsp; Calvillo threw for 274 yards and 1 TD while rushing for 24 more yards and another score.&nbsp; Marcus Brady came in to finish the game but while Calvillo was in the Silvertips could only hope to stop the Alouettes ground and air attack.&nbsp; Calvillo started the scoring with a 1 yard touchdown scramble in the first quarter to put Montreal on top 7-0.&nbsp; Joe Smith tied it up with a 6 yard run in the first and after one it was a tied up ball game.&nbsp; Victoria took a 10-7 lead in the 2nd quarter when Mark Lewis hit a 20 yard field goal but the Alouettes answered quickly with a Kerry Carter 15 yard touchdown reception from Calvillo.&nbsp; In the 3rd it was Carter again, this time with a 7 yard touchdown run to make it 21-10.&nbsp; Montreal added a 35 yard field goal late in the 4th and the final is 24-10 for the 1st Grey Cup win for Montreal in MBCFL.&nbsp; Victoria may not have won this game but they put in a magnificent debut season, going 11-7 behind QB Clint Dolezel.&nbsp; Their unfortunate next step is to determine 10 players who may not be back for their second season.&nbsp; For Montreal they had a strong season going 12-6 upsetting Toronto in the playoffs and winning the Grey Cup, it simply doesn't get better then that in Montreal.[/font]

My Stampeders are looking to somehow figure out how to get Jonal Saint Dic on our roster.
&nbsp;
Here's the additional CFL Update
  • [font=arial]The CFL has run pretty smoothly this last season, mostly because we didn't post every game result b/c they weren't being viewed[/font]
  • [font=arial]Typically this is a low involvement league, teams have built up over the last 2 seasons thru the expansion draft and the ability to utilize Arena League players but teams haven't utilized trades in this league[/font]
  • [font=arial]Our expansion draft where Windsor, Thunder Bay, Newfoundland, and Saskatoon are added to the league will be held on July 19th[/font]
  • [font=arial]Our first draft for collegiate players is approaching and will be held on July 20th[/font]
  • [font=arial]The CFL League draws it's players from the fantasy players from MBCFA giving teams the opportunity to take a player from College to a Professional League.&nbsp; There's no cap on the number of teams in this league but I think 16-20 is about the max.[/font]
  • [font=arial]Each current team needs to provide a list of 10 available players for the expansion draft by July 12th.&nbsp; If we don't receive it the league will handle it on your behalf.&nbsp; This pool of players will be eligible for the expansion draft. [/font]
  • [font=arial]Currently the CFL has a full roster of GMs however this is a league that utilizes an expansion capable sim so we are able to add teams.&nbsp;Keep in mind this is a Canadian Rules league so it's not quite the same as the NFL.[/font]
[font=arial]Oh and if you forced me to add 4 teams tomorrow... [/font]
[font=arial]London Imperials into the Great Lakes Division
Moncton would join as the home for the New Brunswick&nbsp;Beavers in the Atlantic
Brandon or Sudbury in the Prarie- With Thunder Bay in the division Sudbury's not totally out in the middle of nowhere, but at the same time it is.&nbsp; There's just not another good pop center in the Prarie[/font]
And out west is where we go for Controversy... Yellowknife is just too small although I think it's the VCFL team that has just a totally wicked logo.&nbsp; Next up Kelowna? eh not enthralled with that one... I'm leaning towards Anchorage
&nbsp;
I shall now duck while people throw things at me.
&nbsp;
In Anchorage the CFL would be the only pro team in town for about 1000 miles in any direction.&nbsp; The seasonal schedule of the CFL works into a fairly liveable time there... today it's in the 50s and for the most part during the season it's not too bad.&nbsp; Those November games would be a beast though.&nbsp; It's a larger pop center then anything in the Territories and it just makes good overall business sense compared to the other areas.&nbsp; On the bad side, it ain't in Canada for one, two, and three.
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

Well, that's good news. Now if only Montreal could repeat that success in the real world.

Good to see Clint Dolezel hit the big time.
mbsports

Post by mbsports »

Dolezel had a good season for a 38 year old rookie, it can only be another season or two before he hangs them up but overall the Tips were really good with the run game and that took a lot of pressure off of him.&nbsp; Buck Pierce will be the choice in Victoria soon, but the real question for us is where does Chris Brown end up. Brown was awesome in MBCFA for the Virginia Cavaliers leading them to the Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando.&nbsp; Brown has total upside and Halifax most likely takes him #1.&nbsp; There's a trio of really good College Backs too.&nbsp; Levi Bernard was&nbsp;a total beast at Notre Dame.
mbsports

Innovation for MBCFL

Post by mbsports »

A little preview of what we're doing here...

www.mbsportsnet.com/cfl_standings.php

Utilizing some of the code written for MADCAT and implementing it for the CFL.

Amazingly a lot of it can be utilized which is extemely cool I think. Much better then the standard Max FB output - which I still maintain is a major reason why running a league is 10 times harder then it should be with Max FB. The data is there to make nice and pretty reports, for some reason it's never been a priority.

Just sayin' the biggest supporters are the guys that run leagues and we haven't gotten a bone on this one. The standard MaxFB reports are near useless.
Mykal

RE: Innovation for MBCFL

Post by Mykal »

very nice
The standard MaxFB reports are near useless.

I'd have to agree 100% with that comment
mbsports

RE: Innovation for MBCFL

Post by mbsports »

http://www.mbsportsnet.com/mbfl/mbcfl.htm

Have managed to change a lot of what was out there.

No more poor roster pages, half created DBs that I was pumping in and updating weekly. This change utilized MADCAT for the Madden Series with extensive tweaks.

I think it's far superior to the caca that Max FB outputs.

I have some work left to do - notice the formatting on the Lions, Bombers, and Tiger Cats isn't quite there due to having spaces in there. BC has it b/c I use BC Lions to keep it seperate from the Detroit Lions in the same directory.

Also I'm working on integrating the ratings in, which is a bit of a pain in the butt.

Hopefully this serves as a nice stopgap until MaxFB gets into the 1980s for reporting... for a sim/game that has so many cool customizeable features the lack of reporting is just awful. As a commish I wouldn't recommend utilizing MaxFB unless you're willing to spend an extra few hours a week to format.

This helps me a ton, but man if I tried to make it mass implemented... yikes.

-Mb

Return to “Online Leagues”