Torp evasion strategies for surface ships?

This new Commander's Edition of Harpoon Classic includes land units, neutral and unknown sides, an improved radar and area ECM model and a host of other improvements. Rounding that out are over 200 scenarios and the WestPac Battleset. Try out this great new version of the classic Harpoon!
MarkShot

Torp evasion strategies for surface ships?

Post by MarkShot »

What types of torpedoes are modeled in the game:?

(1) Dumb torpedoes - WWII style straight runners.

(2) Self guiding active torpedoes - Run to rough target intercept. Enables active sonar and guides to target.

(3) Self guiding passive torpedoes (aka wake homers) - Run to rought intercept. Follows ship wakes to target.

(4) Wire guided torpedoes - Despite self guidance the launching platform actively retargets the weapon until the weapon has acquired the target.

What if any search patterns are modeled in the game (actually modeled or just included in the calculations):?

(1) S search pattern.

(2) Circular search pattern.

(3) Figure 8 search pattern.

(4) Ladder search pattern.

(5) Expanding/shrinking box search pattern.

My surface group had torpedoes fired at it. So, what is the best way to evade? Do I have any way to know if I am evading an active or passive torpedo? I made turns roughly 45 degrees to the right or left of the bearing of the torpedos running at max group speed. The idea being to attempt to foil their solution and continue to open the range. Yet, from 5 to 6 miles away these torpedos kept reacquiring my ships. It was pretty impressive to watch.

So, I am wondering were they being wire guided? My group was pinging with active sonar would I have been better off having shut the sonar down in case the torpedoes were being wire guided. Of course if they were being wire guided via periscope observations, then I should have made sure to try open the distance with the original bearing and probably launch area.

Any ideas? Thanks.
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
MarkShot

RE: Torp evasion strategies for surface ships?

Post by MarkShot »

The likely torpedoes fired were in this case from a Victor II:

Soviet Type 53-65/sea
Soviet Type 65/sea
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
mack2

Post by mack2 »

Step 1) Detach ship/s being shot at from formation.
Step 2) Ship and the formation set course to directly away.
Step 3) Set speed to flank.
Step 4a) Fire a torpedo back down the bearing.
Step 4b) Launch a helo/plane at the area.
Step 4c) Kill launching sub.
Step 5a) Pray.
Step 5b) Prepare Seach and Rescue efforts.
erict

Post by erict »

Basically run like hell in the opposite direction.
CV32

Post by CV32 »

ORIGINAL: mack2
Step 1) Detach ship/s being shot at from formation.
Step 2) Ship and the formation set course to directly away.
Step 3) Set speed to flank.
Step 4a) Fire a torpedo back down the bearing.
Step 4b) Launch a helo/plane at the area.
Step 4c) Kill launching sub.
Step 5a) Pray.
Step 5b) Prepare Seach and Rescue efforts.

That sums it up nicely. [:D]
Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner
Desertmole

Post by Desertmole »

I found in the older HCE that sometimes making a radical turn can help.  Uusally 90 degrees plus.  Actually do one and then try reversing course away from the torpedo.  This will sometimes create a knuckle in the water and break lock.  I do the same with subs, while changing depth rapidly as well.  Gives you, maybe an extra 30% chance of escaping.
I only wish I had you, the gentlemen of the pen, exposed for once to a smart skirmishing fire...
Stalintc

Post by Stalintc »

ORIGINAL: Desertmole

I found in the older HCE that sometimes making a radical turn can help.  Uusally 90 degrees plus.  Actually do one and then try reversing course away from the torpedo.  This will sometimes create a knuckle in the water and break lock.  I do the same with subs, while changing depth rapidly as well.  Gives you, maybe an extra 30% chance of escaping.

Yep the steps from mack2 and this combined will increase your chances of avoiding that torp.

Dont forget that most torpedos will only go active a certain range from the expected target, if you have a good fix on the torpedos heading and speed monitor whether it is changing its course to intercept yours, if it is not try and escape the acquisition cone before it goes active. If it does then continue on your course directly away from the torpedo at flank and try to run the torpedo from its max range.
HCE Beta Tester
HCE Icon Mod available here
HCE Sound Mod available here
CV32

Post by CV32 »

If you can determine which ship of your group is being targeted, you can sometimes avoid splitting that ship from the formation and still work to evade the torpedo.

Just assign that particular ship to the far side of the formation - opposite the incoming torpedo - and the ship will race there at top speed.

This way you can keep the remainder of the formation quiet, listening for other torpedoes and, more importantly, the enemy submarine.
Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition”