Chckamauga map

John Tiller's Battleground Series is a Hall of Fame lineup of games covering the Civil War and Napoleonic Wars. We've compiled these classic games into two new affordable collections, incorporating updated versions of these legendary titles. Incredible historical gameplay and great value!
Rhetor

Chckamauga map

Post by Rhetor »

I have purchased the whole BG set, and for the first time I have seen BG Chickamauga.

I must say I am dissappointed. Whereas all the other Battlegrounds have beautiful maps, the quality of the maps used in Chickamauga is significantly lower. That's simply sad.

Does anyone know if someone somwhere had created a custom, beautiful Chickamauga / Stone's River map? The link on http://www.acwgc.org/acwco/ is dead.
Luciano B

RE: Chckamauga map

Post by Luciano B »

BG Chckamauga shows a set of map graphics drafted from West Front, another popular title of the old Talonsoft range. They probably used the new graphics beacuse it allows to use the map editor inlcuded in West Front to speed-up the mapmaking process. I agree with you that the graphics of Antietam and Bull Run are better, however also the West Front graphic style has numerous fans.
Luciano B

Post by Luciano B »

The link you posted is related to a custom HPS Corinth version of the old BG game, which was moved to another site dedicated to the HPS add-on's.
As far as I know there aren't any custom maps in the old BG graphic style to replace the West Front style maps of the original game.
Luciano B

Post by Luciano B »

...if there's a good number of players who reqiure maps for Murfreesborough and Chickamauga in the old BG style I may take into consideration to work on the subject...
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Luciano B

BG Chckamauga shows a set of map graphics drafted from West Front... however also the West Front graphic style has numerous fans.

Count me among the BG Chickamauga fans. (Indeed, I like the West Front/East Front/Rising Sun graphics very much.)

There’s no accounting for taste. [8|]
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Atle

Post by Atle »

I remember that in the preview of Battleground Chickamauga in PC Gamer (I think it was...) the screenshots showed the game with a painted map. So Talonsoft originally made a Bull Run-style map for the game, but later scrapped it for some reason... A shame... But that said, I really like the maps that eventually shipped with the game. Especially the Stones River map [:)]
dth

Post by dth »

Gentlemen,

Would this be a good argument for having a map editor supplied with the game? I really want to create my own maps/scenarios and that is purely limited without the map editor.

Can the Western Front map editor work with these maps? I've tried it with the old Talonsoft version and had no sucess. Does it work with this latest version of the game(s)?

BRD
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

IIRC the Chick game was made as a project by a team of BG devotees - not as an "official" Talonsoft project.

Much as when Ed Beach took over the Great Battles of the ACW board game mantle from Joe Balkoski. There however production values remained uniformly superb to this day.

Caveat - IIRC.
acwbuff63

Post by acwbuff63 »

Hi Adam,

I wish you were still doing the HPS ACW tutorial files. They were beautiful. Any chance you would do another?

What does IIRC mean?

One thing, BG9 was indeed an "official" talonsoft project. They wouldn't put their name on the box otherwise.

BG9 was intended to be a campaign game, but the campaign idea was rejected by Rose at Talonsoft.
acwbuff63

Post by acwbuff63 »

ORIGINAL: Luciano B

...if there's a good number of players who reqiure maps for Murfreesborough and Chickamauga in the old BG style I may take into consideration to work on the subject...

Luciano,

Do you know if it's possible to simply replace the BG9 3D maps with the old BG style? Or would the game have to be done from scratch? Like you did with Winchester, ec...
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

Thanks for those kind words acwbuff. I'm still in touch with the team at HPS but with John focusing on his Govt project and myself with the realities with work/life, I haven't written a manual since... Shiloh IIRC? [:)]

As for IIRC - I learned that on a forum somewhere, sometime. It means "If I Recall Correctly" [;)]

Cheers,
Adam.
Luciano B

Post by Luciano B »

Yes, it is possible to replace only the 3D maps retaining however the original main.map and .los files together with all other original stuff like scenarios, oob's, leaders&faces files and 2D maps. However the 3D maps need to be painted ex-novo using the graphics of BG Antietam/Bull Run. I already have done maps in the old BG style working with the BG Chickamauga engine (the maps of Champion Hill and Vicksburg add-on's). During the years I had elaborated a method which uses a combination of different editors and utilities, some self-made, which allow to produce maps in the old BG style in a reasonable time-consuming process.
acwbuff63

Post by acwbuff63 »

Have you done it with HPS ACW games? If not, can it be done?
Luciano B

Post by Luciano B »

The HPS engine reads the .map files and assembles the tiles related to the terrain features scripted in the file. It would be great indeed if alongside the tiled maps the engine may load also painted maps; the whole thing requires however some work on the game engine, so only John T. may decide and provide such an improvement.
dth

Post by dth »

[font="times new roman"]Luciano B/Adam Parker,[/font]
[font="times new roman"] [/font]
[font="times new roman"]Do you know why the map editing is not part of the general program?  All of the later generation BG series games came with their own editors but the maps editor would not work with any of the ACW or Napoleon maps.  I don't understand why some BG series have the ability to edit maps and others don't.  Even more, I don't understand why the maps are not compatible /editable between series.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]If you know the mystery to this question, could you please help me.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Best regards, Derek[/font]

Luciano B

Post by Luciano B »

I don't know, Derek ...I may only suppose the reason. Probably it depended upon commercial causes; maybe the guys at Talonsoft had the feeling that the WWII campaign games (East Front, West Front, Rising Sun) might sold better if released together with full map and scenario editors, and for the same commercial considerations they felt that solding step by step every ACW or Nappy major historical engagement might assure more profits, since every great battle has enough appeal to be sold individually.
captskillet

Post by captskillet »

Luciano can any of your stuff on the ACWCO site for BG be used in a TCP/IP game ????
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

acwbuff63

Post by acwbuff63 »

ORIGINAL: dth

[font="times new roman"]Luciano B/Adam Parker,[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Do you know why the map editing is not part of the general program?  All of the later generation BG series games came with their own editors but the maps editor would not work with any of the ACW or Napoleon maps.  I don't understand why some BG series have the ability to edit maps and others don't.  Even more, I don't understand why the maps are not compatible /editable between series.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]If you know the mystery to this question, could you please help me.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Best regards, Derek[/font]

Not sure what you mean by BG series. Do you mean Talonsoft in general? All the BG games (except BG9 Chickamauga) used painted maps. These games never came with map editors. BG9 used the same tile graphics as the campaign series.
Luciano B

Post by Luciano B »

ORIGINAL: captskillet

Luciano can any of your stuff on the ACWCO site for BG be used in a TCP/IP game ????

If you mean to play battles via modem host / modem caller yes, it is possible, but you have to launch the game with BGR.exe (for the add-on's working with BG Bull Run) or BGC.exe (for the add-on's working with BG Chickamauga) inside Bull Run or Chickamauga main directories.
After doubleclicking BGR.exe icon or BGC icon (the red ones with the eagle) you have to select the add-on module, and then hit "Modem Host"/"Modem Caller" in menu "Special" and hit "New" in "File" menu to choose a scenario and start a battle or hit "open" to continue a battle already started by your opponent.
dth

Post by dth »

acwbuff63,

I meant the series of game from Talonsoft (Napoleon, ACW, Western Front, Eastern Front and Rising Sun). The WWII games had the same style maps with map editor build into the programs but the Napoleon and ACW games did not. The game has basically the same maps but the maps are not interchangeable. To me, if the new BG series from John Tiller came with a map editor it would have the full package. As there are several scenarios provided with this new version there is no reason to limit the editing ability for future single scenario releases. Give the players/user the full ability to explore the game to it’s full potential and watch the detailed scenario/game development that comes from it. As of right now, the game is limited to the generic old scenarios that have been released in the passed and played (even by myself) a dozen times over.

BRD

Return to “John Tiller's Battleground Series”