Changing the Area of a base?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

heenanc

Changing the Area of a base?

Post by heenanc »

You can change the command of a base and it costs about 900 point what eefect does this have if any?!?
yo yo yo
okami

RE: Changing the Area of a base?

Post by okami »

You will find that the cost is variable. Note you have no Southwest Pacific bases but you many units assigned. By changing the base that these units are at it increase their effieciency. They will be more likely to go on combat missions, draw replacements that sort of thing. Also their morale will be higher and regain faster at a base of their own command.
"Square peg, round hole? No problem. Malet please.
niceguy2005

Post by niceguy2005 »

The only affect I am aware of is that aircraft replacements are generated at the base of the same command 
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

For most of us, I suspect only changing one or 2 bases to "Southwest Pacific or Pacific" is all you will need to change. (After that, you become a victim of the law of diminishing returns.)
Any island you capture will automatically revert to an Allied base anyway..

Feinder

Post by Feinder »

The "expensive" ones to convert, are teh ones already assigned to a restricted HQ (like OzCom).  If you're trying to convert say Tville to SWPac, it's 100x(2*AF + Port).  If you're trying to convert a non-restricted base (like Midway), it's 10x(2*AF + Port).

Frankly, there's very little value in converting bases, esp those in Oz.  While yes, it's true if you convert Tvill to SWPac (and then plunk the HQ there), your units will recover faster, and air replacements will appear closer (assuming you're trying to get planes into Port Moresby).  However, converting Tvill is about 1000pps, and for that, you can get "buy" about a half a division.  Also, converting a  base -from- OzCom, means that the OzCom squadrons can no longer use the base (if you convert Tville to SWPac, your OzCom sqnds can't land at Tvill any more!  Doh!).

Frankly, it's not usually worth the effort to convert bases.  You points are better spent converting LCUs, squadrons, and leaders.

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

niceguy2005

Post by niceguy2005 »

It can be very worth planning ahead though.  I like to convert an Oz city close to PM early in the game, before it is built up.  With say Cairn, Brisbane and Darwin as SWPAC bases you can do quite well.  Before the game progresses too far along you'll be using PM and other captured bases as your real staging areas anyway.

IIRC doesn't Brisbane convert to SWPAC once SWPAC HQ arrives?
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”