new to game, got questions

AGEOD’S American Civil War - The Blue and the Gray is a historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

scout1

new to game, got questions

Post by scout1 »

1) Do I really have to disband an entire unit to extract 1 unit out of it and then recombine the rest ? Seems like quite the waste ?

2) Command structure appears to be very important. Is there a way to global view the various command structures as to who is in charge, what do they have and where are they at (in typical TOE format, ie not tied to viewing stuff within the current region) ?
tiredoftryingnames

RE: new to game, got questions

Post by tiredoftryingnames »

1) Edit: After going in and messing with it I realized what I described from memory was moving a unit attached directly to a corps or army to another corp or army. Divisions do need to be disbanded to reorganize as far as I can tell. I tried experienting with ways of getting bdes out of them and into other units and it didn't work.

2) If i'm picturing what you're asking for no.
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

You do need to disband divisons to get the units out of them, though (if that's what your talking about).  No way around that AFAIK.

Post by Massattack »

Re 2) there is a list view of all units, filtered by nato designated type symbols, under rosters I think. Not sure if this is quite what you are looking for.

Regards
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

I'm new to this game too (got it at Origins).&nbsp; I remember reading something about removing bdes from divisions.&nbsp; Let me check.
Created by the amazing Dixie
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Here we go.&nbsp; Found it.&nbsp; Page 33 of the rule book.
&nbsp;
Detaching units from a container
&nbsp;
Hold down the ALT key and left click on a unit to detach it from the container.&nbsp; This will immediately remove the unit from the container, and place it directly in the provence, without further orders.&nbsp; This can be done for ships in fleets.
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

What version of the rules do you have? p 33 is talking about raids and fog of war in my manual.
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

It's section 1.5.8 in the manual that came with the hard copy.
LMUBill

Post by LMUBill »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Wrong manual. That's the FoF manual. the AACW manual doesn't have sections listed like that. And they don't have "containers" in AACW either....
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

You mean there's 2 manuals?? [X(]&nbsp;OMG
jimwinsor

Post by jimwinsor »

Two seperate games, actually...you are probably referring to a manual for a completely different civil war game (Forge of Freedom) rather than the game for this forum section (AGEOD's American Civil War).
Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Yeah, that's it.&nbsp; *Slaps self*
tiredoftryingnames

Post by tiredoftryingnames »

[:D]Scrat is too busy with his nuts to worry about which game manual he's looking at.
Gray_Lensman

Post by Gray_Lensman »

ORIGINAL: LMUBill

Wrong manual. That's the FoF manual. the AACW manual doesn't have sections listed like that. And they don't have "containers" in AACW either....

Actually, this is incorrect. On page 19 of the AACW manual it refers to units as formations of different sizes that act as "containers" for elements.
You've GOT to hold them back!
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

Now that the page numbers wre settled and all put into place, they are containers and if you are playing the good duys(USA) you had better be sure you really want to follow the command chain. Plenty of inactive Generals will result.[:(]
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
LMUBill

Post by LMUBill »

ORIGINAL: Gray_Lensman

ORIGINAL: LMUBill

Actually, this is incorrect. On page 19 of the AACW manual it refers to units as formations of different sizes that act as "containers" for elements.

Actually I am correct. The containers Mike was referring to are the units in Fof that you have to purchase.... Army Container, Corps Container, etc. there aren't units like that in AACW. You could say that Army HQ's (and Division when they had them) act that way, which is probably why the manual puts them in quotations. But there aren't any actual units called "containers" in AACW.
Gray_Lensman

Post by Gray_Lensman »

If the "AACW manual" actually states that units act as "containers" then my original statement still stands.
You've GOT to hold them back!
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

[:D] Hot debate there.

In AACW a stack is a container of units. But units also contains elements. The difference between an army/corps and a division is that an army or a corps is a stack, and not a single unit. A division in AACW is a unit.
The other difference with COG/FOF is that there is a hierarchical relationship between the army and the corps, whereas in these 2 games, an army is a bigger entity than a corps (can contains more), but there is no hierarchical dependency between the 2 entities. The games models differently the command chain concept here.
AGEOD Team

Return to “American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray”