release for australia?

UFO: Extraterrestrials is a futuristic real-time/turn-based strategy blend set on the fictional planet of Esperanza in 2025. Having made a bloody first contact with a strange form of life from another planet, the player is thrust into the tough position of leading the defense of this isolated planet against the never-ending assault of these hostile invaders
shadowenergy

release for australia?

Post by shadowenergy »

hi

what about Australians, any chance we can download from matrix games?
I see no reason why we should fall under the European release.

thank you in advance for any information.
Laryngoscope

RE: release for australia?

Post by Laryngoscope »

I would like to know this as well, but I suspect the answer is no [:(]
"It is not a Commonwealth division, it is an Australian Division. Why, give me two Australian Divisions and I will conquer the world for you!"

-- Erwin Rommel
owl208

Post by owl208 »

@shadowenergy

As I understand things, if you are DD (Digital Downloading) tonight, you have two options: Matrix and Gamers Gate. I know of nobody else offering a DD tonight. Matrix is handling the DD for NA only. Gamers Gate for everywhere else except a very small area of Russia. In case you do not know, Gamers Gate is using Starforce disk protection for ET. Matrix is not. This is a permanent contract, so Matrix will not ever offer ET outside NA, like Europe for example, for the forseeable future according to David Heath, owner of Matrix. As for physical boxed ET media sales, contact your local distributor for delivery dates. Most are delivering within 1-2+ weeks. EB Games & Gamestop, for example, are expecting to have the game available for shipment 6/1/07 as of this morning. Others vary. Hope this helps.
shadowenergy

Post by shadowenergy »

owl Im aware of gamersgate, but rather not use them for several reasons, the main one is limited amount of downloads/installs, also waiting for it to arrive at ebgames would be sometime in june.

I was hoping the agreement of gamersgate and matrix games was only that matrix cant sell in europe, while gamersgate sells in europe, guess not.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I agree, Australia is no more a part of Europe than the US is, but unfortunately the exclusion is not just Europe. We are only going to be able to sell to those in the territories listed in Dave's FAQ post, which is pretty much North America. Australia's only download option, as far as I know, will be through Paradox / Gamer's Gate.

I just want to reiterate here for any new customers that ALL of our other releases are available globally, so this is the only case where you cannot get one of our titles anywhere in the world.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
mgarnett

Post by mgarnett »

Hi All,

Being in Australia, I have just purchased UFO from Gamersgate and I am downloading now.  So far, there does not appear to be serial number (at least no serial is listed) and the game was $10 cheaper (US$29.95) than the Matrix version I think, although I would still have preferred to purchase from Matrix (becasue I like to support the company).

I can't comment yet on the requirement for an Internet connection although their general FAQ indicates that one is required.  I have purchased Take Command: 2nd Manasas from them previously which did NOT have a serial number and does NOT require an Internet connection to install or run so it looks like they do change this on game by game basis.  I have installed Take Command with and without Internet connections many times so it looks like that game has no install limit.

They also inidcate that there limited install policy is only for multiple installs over a specified period, not for the life of the game.  What I think that means is if the game is installed many times in a short period of time, say one or two weeks (only guessing at this), although the total number of installs is not limited.  If you at the series of questions below, you should see what I mean:

Q: Can I install the games on my Laptop as well?
A: You can install the games on any of your computers as long as that computer has an internet connection.

Q: Will I be able to install the game on my new computer once I upgrade my hardware?
A: Yes, the game stays available online through your GamersGate account.

Q: Do I need an Internet connection in order to play the game?
A: No. An internet connection is only needed during the installation process and the first time you run the game. After that no more internet connection is required.

Q: I have re-downloaded the game and it does not install anymore. What can I do?
A: In order to prevent fraud and account sharing we monitor the number of installations made per account. If your account/game has been locked due to a high number of installs within a period of time please get in touch with us at

\n
support@gamersgate.com

This email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it

There is no mention of limiting the "total" number of installs, only the number installs during a "specified period".  That could mean if the game is installed 10 times in a week for example you may have trouble, but if you install it once a month for two years you won't.  This is just my interpretation of their FAQ, I could be very wrong, but my experience with Take Command makes me believe this is the case.

I will report back on the Gamergate requirements when I have it installed.  I will attempt to install and run it with my Internet disconnected to see if it is actually required or not.  If it is not required then the limited number of installs is a false alarm.

Cheers

Mark
Mark Garnett
Brisbane Australia
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

Could you also check for Starforce? There hasn't been a confirmation yet and I'm still waitnig for an answer.I'm definitely getting it if it hasn't
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."
mgarnett

Post by mgarnett »

I will check for starforce as well, although I can say now that I am 99.99999.... percent sure that it does not have starforce because GG specifically state that you can install this game on any number fo computers as long as you own them.  If it was Starforce protected it would be technically impossible to do that becuase you would need a different serial number for each machine (and this has no serial number as far as I can see).

I have never seen Starforce on a GG distributed product or Paradox distributed product.

cheers

Mark
Mark Garnett
Brisbane Australia
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

OK, it sounds good to me [:)]
mgarnett

Post by mgarnett »

Ok.  I have downloaded and installed and can confirm the following:

1.  The game does NOT use any Starforce protection
2.  The game does require and Internet connection to install but from then on, no Internet connection is required
3.  There is no serial number

This sytem is very much like the Stardock system which you use to buy Galactic Civilisations II.  I found it pretty easy to use.  You can either backup your downloaded game onto CD (although you will need the gamersgate software to re-install it) but your game is always available for download if you forget to back it up.

I would rather not need the Internet connection to install, but it's not very invasive at all.

Cheers

Mark

Mark Garnett
Brisbane Australia
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

Cheers mate [:)], it's also been confirmed by a Paradox employee that both GG and retail versions dont have Starfarce. Great news [:D]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Glad to hear it's a viable option, however that price is incorrect - they are bound by contract to sell it at the same price we are selling it for. Can you confirm that it was $29.99 and not $39.99? Also, was that $29.99 in US dollars or Australian dollars? Thanks.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

Yep, US$29.99.
Hadsi

Post by Hadsi »

Any manual for this game via gamers gate? I am downloading it as we speak!
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

it's in the game directory after you install it[:)]
Jetau

Post by Jetau »

Erik, personally I think you have been screwed in your agreement with Gamers Gate. I'm in Australia, and I was going to spend $49.99 US to get the download + shipment from you guys. Then I hear that I can't do that, I have to use Gamers Gate. And yes it's $29.99 US. So they have ripped you off. But I've been so impressed by the support from you and your colleagues over this whole process. Rest assured that if there's a game I'm interested in on Matrix, I'll be buying it from you next time. [:)]
mgarnett

Post by mgarnett »

Hi Eric,

I can confirm the price I paid was US$29.99 from GG.

Cheers

Mark
Mark Garnett
Brisbane Australia

Return to “UFO: Extraterrestrials”