UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com!

UFO: Extraterrestrials is a futuristic real-time/turn-based strategy blend set on the fictional planet of Esperanza in 2025. Having made a bloody first contact with a strange form of life from another planet, the player is thrust into the tough position of leading the defense of this isolated planet against the never-ending assault of these hostile invaders
SeanD

UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com!

Post by SeanD »

http://gamepro.com/computer/pc/games/re ... 0731.shtml

Gamepro.com has released their exclusive early review of UFO: ET. The verdict? They liked it!

Here's an excerpt:
But if managing your base and operating from an "eye in the sky" view sounds like a chore -- it isn't, but even if it somehow was -- the tactical portion of the game more than makes up for it. Anytime you you go to investigate a UFO landing, attack an alien base, or respond to an invasion site, you'll enter a turn-based battle with an action-points system. Each side takes a turn preforming various actions and everything, from movement to firing your weapon, consumes points -- obviously strategy is key in these battles as you don't want to be left in a vulnerable position. The battles are especially awesome because by the time the last shot is fired, the environments, which are fully destructible, will look utterly devastated. Experience is also awarded at the end of every mission, which leads into soldier development and attribute increases.
Sean Drummy

Marketing and Press Relations Manager
LitFuel

RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com!

Post by LitFuel »

What!!!!!!!...You have to be kidding me, your soldiers can't be killed only injured...that was a huge part of the original that they could be killed. How could they be so close to X-Com and get that wrong. My excitement was just sucked out of me with that news. Bad , bad move. [:(]

You can't sell your stuff either?..on a much lesser note but still that stinks too.
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

Let's not bring reviewers into this...

It only sullies the whole experience.
"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."
evilferretvictim

Post by evilferretvictim »

Nooo......Damn you Sean!! I think you need to release the game early (as in, tonight) for building up more hype on us~.   
sage

Post by sage »

ORIGINAL: LitFuel

What!!!!!!!...You have to be kidding me, your soldiers can't be killed only injured...that was a huge part of the original that they could be killed. How could they be so close to X-Com and get that wrong. My excitement was just sucked out of me with that news. Bad , bad move. [:(]

Agreed. Dunno why the heck they'd modify the formula like that. I'm going to have to think about this purchase a lot more carefully. It's probably a deal breaker for me. Disapointed they'd make such a retarded decision.

EDIT: read the review. All I can say is: WTF were they thinking?! I was pretty stoked on this but it's looking like I'll take a pass until they fix this retardation with a patch. Not to be harsh, but... dudes, WTF?!
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

I thought one of their cons was a pro.  Getting rid of manufacturing for profit is one of the best things they could do.  I remember wondering who was buying all that junk.  I sold enough laser weapons to arm most armies on the globe, enough Laser Cannons to put them on every fighter on the globe, and sold enough corpses that they must have been passing them out at High Schools for the students to dissect.  I tremble to think who was buying my spare mind control equipment.

The change in recruitment annoyed me at first but in a way it makes sense.  I assume X-Com is not directly recruiting soldiers but is instead begging the nations of the world for more troops from their own militaries.  I would also think they would take just about any qualified person offered.  It did seem kind of odd that I throw out a $40000 donation and two weeks later a trained soldier shows up.  When were they trained with X-Com weapons in a matter of a few weeks.  Same thing applies to scientists and engineers I would think.

The no-death rule does annoy me.  Part of this is compensated (for me anyways) by the extensive downtime the review complained about.  If losing troops is a huge hassle it will have a similar effect though I would have preferred a more complex death and incapacitation rate.  I did find it surprising how many agents died in X-Com.  Considering how often people missed I would have expected a lot fewer critical shots.
Widell

Post by Widell »

ORIGINAL: LitFuel

Fully agree. This moved the whole thing to a "may buy later" status on my list. This was one of the highlights of the original game. The frustration when one of your veterans got himself killed was huge. It has to come back, at least for coming versions....
Deadaim

Post by Deadaim »

This Review hasn't changed my mind at all. Still very much looking forward to getting this game as soon as it comes out!!
Despite some minor flaws it still seems to be the Best X-Com like game to come out in years.
"Seldom is the last of anything better than the first"
Da_Junka

Post by Da_Junka »

I think you're troops not kicking the bucket is a real bad blow, one of the main things with xcom was how attached you got to certain troops, keeping them alive at all cost, it made you plan and care about every move you made, now your not going to give a frig, just use your men as cannon fodder, throw um to the dogs, this is a major wisser for me making me think twice about weather to buy or not, why in zods name would they go and nobble this game after working on it for so long. Makes you wanna strangle summut.
Faenaris

Post by Faenaris »

I have to agree with the consensus here: Not dying = not fun. What is the point of the tactical planning then? You can afford to take huge risks with only minimal damage. And like the review said, tension is killed by this design decision. What happens when all of your troops go down? They get miraculously teleported back to base? They drag themselves back to the ship? The ship's pilot drags em back? It doesn't make sense.

I also don't like the recruitment thingy. But that was changed in order to make the game more "difficult". If the soldiers were killable, you would need to recruit reinforcements en-masse. Now, you are forced to take good care of your troops because if they go down, they are out of action for a while and since you don't get a lot of spare soldiers, you can get hurt ... badly.

I can agree with the not-selling of items. You don't wanna arm a nation and then see that nation fighting you (perhaps not physical fighting) because they believe they are better at taking down the aliens than you are.
Anyone know if you can still change the soldier's name? I really really hope that it is possible. If it isn't, it is a huge game-breaker to me.

I'll try to get the game as soon as possible though, even with these flaws. If we can show the game industry that this kind of game actually sells, we'll see more them. Heck, a carbon-copy of the Great Game of Old with a facelift would be more than enough for me. I hope ET can fulfill that role somewhat.
Jetau

Post by Jetau »

Guys, you are overreacting. To say that the soldiers not dying is a dealbreaker is ridiculous. There must be some tradeoff here. I'm pretty sure the game designer said that the 'incapacitated' troop would go off to hospital for weeks and lose some experience and/or skills. You have a limited pool of troops, therefore it is not in your interest for them to be holed up in hospital indefinitely. The reviewer didn't like this feature (and I don't like the idea of it either) but it didn't stop him from giving the game 4.25/5.

I agree that it's a strange, and probably bad feature, but it won't stop this game from kicking ass regardless.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Keep in mind that despite the reviewer's dislikes, he still awarded the game a 4.25 / 5. The reason for that is that the gameplay, even with these changes, is still up there with X-Com. The reviewer mentions one of the trade-offs, that reinforcements arrive at a trickel, so losing a soldier even to incapacitation is still a significant penalty. I agree that I'd rather have had the chance of soldiers being killed, but it doesn't seem like a game-breaker to me and despite the reviewer also disliking that choice, the high score and summary paragraph tells you he still had a lot of fun.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Widell

Post by Widell »

ORIGINAL: Jetau
Guys, you are overreacting. To say that the soldiers not dying is a dealbreaker is ridiculous.

Why? It is most likely enough of a dealbreaker to me so I have to wait and see if this will change in the future. It's good you don't see it that way, but after all, it's my money ;-)
There must be some tradeoff here. I'm pretty sure the game designer said that the 'incapacitated' troop would go off to hospital for weeks and lose some experience and/or skills. You have a limited pool of troops, therefore it is not in your interest for them to be holed up in hospital indefinitely.

Of course, but the thing was not about hospitalized troops. It was about troops dying, in like disappearing from the game to not come back. It was one of the key events in the original. Now it's gone and it s**ks in my opinion. I mean, what is rationale for, at least, providing a game option of soldiers dying or not?
....it didn't stop him from giving the game 4.25/5.
I didn't say the game was bad, only that it is lacking one of the key features that made it the great game it is. If it's gone, the game may still be a 4.25 or whatever, but it's another type of game
I agree that it's a strange, and probably bad feature, but it won't stop this game from kicking ass regardless.
Maybe, but it won't be as fun, addictive and frustratingly great as the original
Widell

Post by Widell »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Keep in mind that despite the reviewer's dislikes, he still awarded the game a 4.25 / 5. The reason for that is that the gameplay, even with these changes, is still up there with X-Com. The reviewer mentions one of the trade-offs, that reinforcements arrive at a trickel, so losing a soldier even to incapacitation is still a significant penalty. I agree that I'd rather have had the chance of soldiers being killed, but it doesn't seem like a game-breaker to me and despite the reviewer also disliking that choice, the high score and summary paragraph tells you he still had a lot of fun.

[:)]
Maybe you are right Erik, but keep in mind that the Matrix customers are strange, strange people, and attention to detail is important to many of us. That being said, I most likely will end up with this game as well, but to me this is a little like units in TOAW (or any of the other great games) not being destroyed, just more or less damaged. At lease give us the option to choose one or the other......please.......[;)]
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Sorry I have to agree the no death for soldiers thing moves this from a must buy to a maybe if I can be bothered despite the 4.25/5.0

Losing your guys was part of the original game managing those few experienced soldiers was what made the game tense and made new threats so interesting.

Are we seriouslty saying that your guys live even if your base is attacked asnd you lose your medical bays?

Na sorry this is nuts I suspect I will also be waiting for the patch that fixes this before I buy.
Falesh

Post by Falesh »

decided to eliminate the manual recruitment of new troops, choosing instead to bring them forth in a steady trickle. This increases the negative impact that an injured soldier can have on your planning tenfold

Sounds like there is a lot riding on the tactical game, even if your soldiers can't die their injury has a big impact.
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

Sorry Jetau, but we can react any way we want...X-Com was a all time great and to see them come so close but blow at the finish line is unbelievable to me. What were they thinking? It takes away any real interest as to what happens on the tactical level. They are like robots now evidently, unkillable, just get them back(which like one poster mentioned, and how do they handle that if all are injured? yeah what if you lose your med bays?) and that's it. It makes no sense that these aliens don't have the power to actually kill anyone, what kind of threat is that ?

It's like G rated X-Com...lol. I have read that you can rename your men but that's the point...you won't bum out if one dies because guess what , he or she won't. So does this mean no more med kits either?...what would be the point he won't die no reason to try and save him or her.

I can live without the selling part, the more I think about that was a easy out anyways. The trickle of troops thing I don't like as that is like Afterlight...what determines how many you get? what if you have many injured?..,does the game just stop? Will you be able to keep playing or will there be constant start overs because you have to many injured?. ugh!!..this is really frustrating. I'm going to hold off buying till I see how this works but I can never imagine this not always bugging me that there is no risk of death in this game. Stupid!!
Falesh

Post by Falesh »

Getting injured has a big impact so how does it "take away any real interest as to what happens on the tactical level"?

A lot of people reload the game if their soldiers die. The designers decided not to kill them but make being injured important, big deal.
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

ORIGINAL: Falesh

Getting injured has a big impact so how does it "take away any real interest as to what happens on the tactical level"?

A lot of people reload the game if their soldiers die. The designers decided not to kill them but make being injured important, big deal.

Because there is no risk of death...do you think men who go to war would think twice about it if the worst that could happen was they would get injured? Easy to be a hero when there is no risk of death. What kind of alien threat to take over a planet doesn't kill anything? It takes away the tension of the missions. To me it is a big deal, As much as I want this to be great I'm not going to just say oh well at least being injured is kind of important. Like I said I'll hold off on buying right away now and see how it all plays out. I never said it was a deal breaker, but I'm also not going to buy it on day one now either. I'm picky about certain things , and it's just my opinion, it sounds like other parts of the game will be good so I'll just wait and see before buying.
Widell

Post by Widell »

Sounds like there is a lot riding on the tactical game, even if your soldiers can't die their injury has a big impact.

But you are missing the point. Yes, injury should have a big impact. Dying should have an even bigger impact. We are not saying these poor soldiers should die and never be injured. We are saying they could suffer both injury and death
The designers decided not to kill them but make being injured important, big deal.

Yes, big deal, at least for some of us. If it's not a big deal for you, then that's fine. I hope it's still OK for some of us to consider this something that makes this game (potentially as we have not yet seen the game released) a lot less enjoyable to play, maybe to the point we won't even buy it. I think we are trying to get a point through to the designers here to please give us the option to have both injury and death as potential result of eating alien lead.

Are the aliens dying btw [;)]

Return to “UFO: Extraterrestrials”