Pitchers pitching back to back games?

PureSim Baseball is the ultimate baseball fan's toy, with support for both casual and hardcore baseball fans.

Moderator: puresimmer

akcranker

Pitchers pitching back to back games?

Post by akcranker »

After installing CE3 I created a real player association starting in 2006 with 60 man rosters so there are some fake players too.

Now the first time I noticed a pitcher pitching back to back games was when my team was playing against Toronto. In the first game on Apr 6th Roy Halladay pitched 8 2/3 innings allowing 10 hits and 5 runs, throwing 118 pitches. The next day Apr 7th he started again pitching 6 1/3 innings giving up 1 hit and throwing 76 pitches.

I thought this was strange and was planning on making a post about it but it was late then so I forgot to. Well then I was playing earlier and played against New York and Randy Johnson pitched against me on Apr 8th going 7 innings, allowing 9 hits and 2 runs while pitching 102 pitches. The next day on Apr 9th he's scheduled to start again.

I haven't played the Apr 9th game yet.. I think it's strange that the AI is having the same pitcher pitch back to back games..

Has anyone else noticed this?

Shaun would you like me to send you this association so you can take a look at it?
jono

RE: Pitchers pitching back to back games?

Post by jono »

Ever since PS2007 came out for some reason I've had to adjust the recovery numbers in the xml for pitchers in leagues that I manage a team in or starters are feeling great 2 days after their last start.

Right now I have 3 leagues going with 3 different xml settings for pitchers recovery.  I have the 1948 Major Leagues going with a four man rotation which I just sim the whole season not managing and it works fine with the default pitchers recovery numbers.  I have the 1948 Major Leagues with 4 man rotations in which I manage all the Tigers games that I had to cut the pitchers recovery numbers for starters down to 52 and relievers to 40 or all the teams in the league could go to 2 man rotations with the starters feeling great.  Finally I have a fictional 2008 league with 5 man rotations that I manage all the games in for the Syracuse Polar Bears that I had to cut the recovery default numbers for starters from 81 to 41 and for relievers from 67 to 34.
timtellean1

Post by timtellean1 »

I see too many instances of starters pitching in relief. I use a 5 man rotation with 6-8 relievers and find if a starter gets knocked out early then he seems to pitch the next day in relief.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Yikes! I never noticed this in my 1946 association (4-man rotations, no closer). It seems that the real-life scheduling (even with all of the doubleheaders) forces the AI managers to put in a few spot starters. Remember, back in those days performing on two days' rest and still being expected to complete the majority of the starts was considered the norm.

What you guys have posted still makes me believe that historical-era-specific XMLs need to be considered. The default XML seems to work fine in my association.

OK. I have noticed a few AI-controlled teams that rely heavily on just three starters, yet there are others who use the standard 4 with a couple of guys getting spot starts. Haven't seen any team that relies on just two starters.

Once again, the obvious conclusion is that the larger the association is, the more dilution of talent there is (especially in pitching). This also depends on the historical era, the available talent pool, and whether or not real players are used.
akcranker

Post by akcranker »

Well with my association is a real player association starting in 2006 so all the teams have the same pitchers they have in real life.  5 man rotations with modern closer.  What doesn't make sense is why the AI would start the same starter 2 games in a row, two days in a row...

Something is wrong here imo.. especially if Halladay was more effective the second game.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Dang, that makes me question the validity of my current association, then. I'd have to go back through every boxscore for every team from April through September. [:(]

I can only hope that this issue only affects associations using 5-man rotations.
puresimmer

Post by puresimmer »

ORIGINAL: akcranker

After installing CE3 I created a real player association starting in 2006 with 60 man rosters so there are some fake players too.

Now the first time I noticed a pitcher pitching back to back games was when my team was playing against Toronto. In the first game on Apr 6th Roy Halladay pitched 8 2/3 innings allowing 10 hits and 5 runs, throwing 118 pitches. The next day Apr 7th he started again pitching 6 1/3 innings giving up 1 hit and throwing 76 pitches.

I thought this was strange and was planning on making a post about it but it was late then so I forgot to. Well then I was playing earlier and played against New York and Randy Johnson pitched against me on Apr 8th going 7 innings, allowing 9 hits and 2 runs while pitching 102 pitches. The next day on Apr 9th he's scheduled to start again.

I haven't played the Apr 9th game yet.. I think it's strange that the AI is having the same pitcher pitch back to back games..

Shaun would you like me to send you this association so you can take a look at it?

I have never seen this. I'll take a look and see if I can reproduce it.

Developer, PureSim Baseball
akcranker

Post by akcranker »

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

I have never seen this. I'll take a look and see if I can reproduce it.

Well if you can't reproduce it I can send you my association. I stopped before Randy Johnson's next game on Apr 9th.. so he hasn't pitched back to back games yet but he is scheduled to.
akcranker

Post by akcranker »

Shaun have you found anything on this?
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

None of my players would ever get tired either so I had to use these numbers to get the best fatigue modeling...

<FATIGUE FatigueReduction="65" FatigueThreshHold="30">

<RECOVERY Recovery_C="20" Recovery_1B="40" Recovery_2B="40" Recovery_3B="40" Recovery_SS="40" Recovery_LF="40" Recovery_CF="40" Recovery_RF="40" Recovery_DH="40"/>
-->
<RECOVERY_PITCHER Recovery_Starter="60" Recovery_Reliever="40"/>
puresimmer

Post by puresimmer »

Shaun have you found anything on this?

No, can you send me the association? You can use www.sendthisfile.com

Shaun
Developer, PureSim Baseball
Frozen Stiffer

Post by Frozen Stiffer »

Hey, Shaun!

When I first read this thread, I found it interesting, but as it had never happened to me, my attention was admittedly limited.

Well, that was then...

My Marlins were just blanked by a sterling performance from Brad Penny and the Dodgers on May 28th-- he pitched 6 innings of 1-hit ball, striking out 3 and earning the win. May 29th, the Dodgers' starter was... shocker... Brad Penny. In the pre-game lineup, he was listed as "tired", but was still allowed to start. He only lasted 2.2 innings, surrendering 2 runs on 5 hits, where he threw 48 pitches. I haven't done any testing on other games to see if this has happened in the past or has been happening all along-- but it's the first time it's happened to me.

I'm running PureSim CE 4 and we're 54 games into our 3rd season.
"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

Return to “PureSim Baseball”