Carl Crawford thrown out trying to tag

PureSim Baseball is the ultimate baseball fan's toy, with support for both casual and hardcore baseball fans.

Moderator: puresimmer

orton1227

Carl Crawford thrown out trying to tag

Post by orton1227 »

Huff hits a deep fly ball to right...to the wall. Crawford's on 2nd, tries to tag and is thrown out by Milton Bradley (arm of 62). Unbelievable.
puresimmer

RE: Carl Crawford thrown out trying to tag

Post by puresimmer »

Isn't Baseball great!
Developer, PureSim Baseball
Sonny II

Post by Sonny II »

Perhaps Milton Bradley knows how to "game" the system.[:D]
waltwa

Post by waltwa »

i still say that advancement in the game is still too difficult. i have runners not taking 2 bases on hit and run singles. now i know that a 2 base advance on h&r singles is not automatic but it seems to happen far too often.
jeremy7227

Post by jeremy7227 »

I don't play out enough games to notice but when I do play out a game I hit&run a lot and I am pretty aggressive on the bases. I haven't noticed anything that made me think it was broken. Most of the time my runners move 1st to 3rd on h&r and most reasonable tag ups are successful with the occasional surprise.... just like real life.

----If you don't care about the anecdotal ramblings of a washed has-been stop reading----

The Carl Crawford post reminded me of a incident from high school. I was getting a shot to start in a preseason game and was eager to make an impression and earn some more PT. I jumped on the first pitch I saw in my first at bat, a tailing chest-high fastball and shot it deep down the line in right. There wasn't a real fence in RF because the football practice field sat behind the OF, I was a big righty pull hitter so the OF was playing toward left. The ball was hit hard and far and rolled a long way before it came to a stop. It was an easy HR at worst a 3B (I am a catcher after all)... I took a huge turn around fist and was already thinking about the high-fives I was going to get. I stepped in the firstbase coaches box on my turn and into some soft New England April mud. My ankle rolled and I think the pop was audible all the way back on the bench. It wasn't that severe a sprain but I sat on 1B for what seemed like an hour while the RF chased the ball down and got it in to the infield. 16 years later my ex-teammates still remind me of the longest single they ever saw hit. So as Shaun said, Isn't baseball great?

Sadly this in not my least glorious moment on the baseball diamond.... not even in that season. But it cracks the bottom 5.
VanScoy

Post by VanScoy »

ORIGINAL: jeremy7227

----If you don't care about the anecdotal ramblings of a washed has-been stop reading----

Liked the story but really appreciate the warning [:D][:D][:D]
ccuells

Post by ccuells »

Is there are fix for this? My runners are thrown out about 95% of the time. I'll bet real baseball players wish they had arms like that!
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

Faster runners? My runners have a fairly realistic success rate.
J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)
Frozen Stiffer

Post by Frozen Stiffer »

Something I'd like to add on whether or not a runner beats a throw is how much it depends on more than just their SPEED rating and the thrower's ARM rating. In other words, running Joe with a SPEED of 60 will not always beat out a throw from someone with an ARM of 59 or less. There are many things that one must take into consideration (because the game DOES) when determining if you're going to make a successful tag-up.

Some things to consider:

ARM of thrower
SPEED of runner
Flight distance of the ball: This is a combination of how far the ball flew before it was caught how and how the game describes the fly (shallow, deep, off the wall, etc.)
Direction runner is going: If you're on 2nd and headed for 3rd and the right fielder has the ball, you're running AWAY from him, so it's harder to get you. If you're on 1st and heading to 2nd and the center fielder has the ball, it's a tougher play because you're almost running TO him.
Plain 'ol luck: It's not always just about the numbers. Sometimes the throw is off center, sometimes the runner turns wide, etc. Variables, especially invisible ones, are impossible to account for. Anything can happen.
"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

In fact, now that I think about it, my fielders have worse luck than my runners. It seems that most of the time even my 100 ARM fielders can't get the ball there in time. But then I also have a habit of getting my runners out on Hit and Run strikeouts so maybe I'm just weird.
J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)

Return to “PureSim Baseball”