What ever happened to your old copies of Close Combat?

Close Combat - Cross of Iron is based on Atomic Games award Winning Close Combat Series. Close Combat is a real time game were you take command of German or Soviet squads on the Eastern Front during World War II. This version is being developed by CSO Simtek and will include many new features and improvements.
Veldor

What ever happened to your old copies of Close Combat?

Post by Veldor »

Me I managed to still sell my CC3 on Ebay during the CC craze 2 or 3 years ago when CC3-5 boxed copies were all going for $80+ each on Ebay. I got $89.00.

Unfortuneately I kept my CC4 & CC5 too long and by the time I went to sell them I couldn't even get $5.00 ea on Ebay. So I donated them to a local charity.

I never owned CC1 or CC2.

Funny though, that I'd now love to be first in line to purchase the new "Close Combat - Cross of Iron". I'm pretty much normally an anti-oldgame-resurrection kind of wargamer. But Close Combat stands in a category all its own. It's not turn-based and its not RTS.

Wondering though how many others have actually parted with their copies, but would still plan to re-buy the new one? Or is it going to just be current players and perhaps some totally new blood?

I've not been this excited over a new wargame in a long long time. Now I feel silly for quietly laughing at all those that showed equal enthusiam towards other older wargame resurrections. Oh well, sometimes your just wrong.
Beeblebrox

RE: What ever happened to your old copies of Close Combat?

Post by Beeblebrox »

What a fair and open and very nice comment!  I wonder how many would admit to that? [;)]  I guess I am one of the fortunate who have a boxed Copy of CC3 still in it's shrink wrap...

There should be almost a whole generation of players who have never heard of or played Close Combat, so we are hoping for new blood!  Although I don't expect to see the likes of CC3 on the Zone again (heady days), we can but hope for some kind of revival.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Hi All,

I have all copies from 2 to 5. In my view if the A.I. is not really workable for single play, and if there is no PBEM, then there would really need to be a "zone like revivial" for me to be interested. In that case I would re-buy just to be current for what was being played on-line.

I wonder why there has not been some activity to gather players online with their existing CC games to support the re-release even though it is off in the future somewhere. Could be a nice way to generate interest.

regards John.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I have all copies from 1 - 5 [:D]
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

I have versions 2 - CCRAF installed on my machines.

No room. or time, for any other games.
ImageImage
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

I have all 5 versions, boxed, in various releases and languages and they all have a special place [;)]
Nembo

Post by Nembo »

Got 1-5, along with RTB, just missing CCRAF.
squadleader_id

Post by squadleader_id »

Why would you want to sell or give away your CC discs?  You've been missing out on all the cool CC mods. IMHO the series provided endless playing enjoyment with all the mods available.  Now with the re-releases...an eternity of CC gaming for the next generation of players...and hopefully a new resurgence of mods and modders [:D][:D] 

Err...this is in response to Veldor, not Nembo. Looks like I gotta learn to how post a reply here. [:'(]
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

I bought CC1, CC2, CC3 and CC4 were given to me since I was doing testing for atomic Games. I even have CC3 T-shirt from Atomic Games. Of course I still have all the manuals as well. Never bought CC5 though...
Veldor

Post by Veldor »

ORIGINAL: squadleader_id

Why would you want to sell or give away your CC discs? 
Submitted to the Letterman Show.. Top 10 Reasons I got rid of my old Close Combat Games:

10. I'm one of those few people that are the opposite of a "Pack Rat" whatever you might call them.
9. I'm fortuneate enough to be able to buy quite a few new titles and I, like anyone, don't have enough time to even play all of them so old stuff just sits.
8. It's hard to turn down $89.00 for a cardboard box thats just taking up space (I parted with 100's of my AH games for very much the same reason).
7. I bought an XBOX 360 and its games look sexier than Close Combat even if its for brain dead people who want to endlessly slaughter other brain dead people (ie. Dead Rising)
6. No Offense to CC fans, but great as CC may be it will still never be Squad Leader. I still have a Squad Leader bookcase game just taking up shelf space.
5. I hoped that one day someone would release a new game using the CC Engine.
4. There are a lot of mods yes, but just as many bad ones as good ones, and too date its not all that easy for someone who isn't "entrenched" into the community to figure out what they need and what they don't in order to play against others who have gone mod crazy. Perhaps this is one other area that the new Matrix release will end up helping with.
3. The games didn't really run right on my new system anyway.
2. Somehow I still get pwned every time I play CC online.
1. The box sizes didn't match all my newer games.
Cantata

Post by Cantata »

I still have all five versions of the original series, and I can't think of any other wargame(s) that provided so much entertainment and so many memorable battles. My favorite version is IV:Battle of the Bulge, although more because of the improvements to the game engine and gameplay than because of the subject matter. I still get chills thinking about some of those winter battles, just the same. The CC series is by far one of the best wargames I've played on the computer, and I've been playing computer wargames since 1981.

However, I'm not so sure a "re-make" is going to part me from my hard earned cash. If the series is going to be revamped and sold as a package for a reasonable sum, I might take notice, but I won't buy each individual game all over again, face-lift or no face-lift. I already own them and I can play them on a Win98 machine anytime I'm ready, all the way back to the first version, which isn't even going to be redone. It's not as though there is a new game engine being used here, the improvements will be bug fixes for the most part, plus perhaps a more challenging AI. Is that worth owning two copies of each game? I guess that remains to be seen... I'll withhold final judgment for a demo release and pricing so I can see for myself.

I do appreciate what Matrix is trying to do here, don't get me wrong. I hope that they do such a good job that I have to eat my words and buy the new versions... we shall see, we shall see.
"Violence... the supreme authority, from which all other authority is derived."
squadleader_id

Post by squadleader_id »

Nice answer!! Sometimes I need to wake up and realize that there are other games out there 'sides CC. But I hardly have time to play CC as much as I wanted to these days anyways...so I'll just go back to my CC world again. Right now I'm waiting with much anticipation for the release of CC5 - Stalingrad:Der Kessel later this month.
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

I've got CC1, CC2 and CC5. Used to play the mods much more before the dark world of WITP sucked my life away....
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
Frank McNally

Post by Frank McNally »

I have cc2 through 5.  Along the way I bough a bix with 1,2,3 so I could try 1 which was the demo that got me psyched about the game before I owned a suitable computer.  Now that I have dupicate cc2 copies I can play LAN games.  I would probaly part with cc4 or 5 if anyone wanted them.  They are really only suitable for custom battles. 

I really hope the new rev has a strategic layer.  Another cc2 type would be awesome, but a cc4/5 one would be ok if you were not always fighting 15 units to 15 units as in those games.  The assymetry of cc2 battles was excellent.
martxyz

Post by martxyz »

I have all of CC1 - 5. Not all in their nice boxes. CC1-3 came in the boxed trilogy. For some odd reason, although I keep the contents, I often seem to dispose of the box. Stupid; I know.

Even so, on the "collection" front, the only thing I ever really regret selling is my complete collection of boxed Infocom games, all in mint condition, and full of all the silly stuff they put in them. I managed to pick up a few recently. I don't care what anybody says about the joys of owning the older computer wargames, Infocom will always be miles ahead in my book. It probably says quite a lot about the state of my mental health, but I don't care! [;)]
Beeblebrox

Post by Beeblebrox »

I think everyone who frequents places like this says quite a lot about our mental state of health... [;)]
Raskal67

Post by Raskal67 »

Funny thread...I have all 5 still. :)
Ocelotl

Post by Ocelotl »

I still have 1,2 (missed 3), 4,5. Almost one of the fools who payed $80 for a copy of CCIII on ebay, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it [:D]

Sombody asked where everyone is going to play when the release comes out. I think thats a good question. Gamespy? Battle HQ/Power Lobbies?

BTW... Saw a few players in the CCIII room at Power Lobbies the other day...
Veldor

Post by Veldor »

ORIGINAL: Ocelotl

I still have 1,2 (missed 3), 4,5. Almost one of the fools who payed $80 for a copy of CCIII on ebay, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it [:D]

CCIII appears to be down to the $20-$30 range on Ebay these days.
NimitsTexan

Post by NimitsTexan »

I have boxed editions of 2-5; missed out on CC1 . . . 2, 4, and 5 I bought when they originally came out, but I bought a boxed edition of CC3 on ebay about 3 years ago. Only paid about $30 for it, though . . .

Return to “Close Combat - Cross of Iron”