Tutorial #3

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Shannon V. OKeets

Tutorial #3

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

I decided each tutorial should have its own thread. You have seen most of these before, but the last 2 pages are new and the 8th both moved (it had been page 6) and received a lot of corrections.

Attachments
Tutorial3..202006.jpg
Tutorial3..202006.jpg (350.73 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Shannon V. OKeets

RE: Tutorial #3

All the graphics from these are a little old, taken a couple of weeks ago.

Attachments
Tutorial3..202006.jpg
Tutorial3..202006.jpg (250.47 KiB) Viewed 280 times
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

I believe all the text is correct. There were many places where I made changes based on posts by the forum members.

Attachments
Tutorial3..202006.jpg
Tutorial3..202006.jpg (267.28 KiB) Viewed 280 times
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

4th page

Attachments
Tutorial3..202006.jpg
Tutorial3..202006.jpg (299.36 KiB) Viewed 282 times
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

5th page

Attachments
Tutorial3..202006.jpg
Tutorial3..202006.jpg (314.03 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

6th page - this use to be page 7

Attachments
Tutorial3..202006.jpg
Tutorial3..202006.jpg (314.33 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

7th page - this use to be page 8

Attachments
Tutorial3..202006.jpg
Tutorial3..202006.jpg (326.2 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

8th page - this used to be page 6. Over half the text has been rewritten.

Attachments
Tutorial3..202006.jpg
Tutorial3..202006.jpg (293.66 KiB) Viewed 280 times
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

1 of the 2 new pages.

Attachments
Tutorial3..202006.jpg
Tutorial3..202006.jpg (274.07 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

2nd new page. Last in the series. Last in this tutorial.

Attachments
Tutorial3..202006.jpg
Tutorial3..202006.jpg (284.34 KiB) Viewed 280 times
Steve

Froonp

Post by Froonp »

- General comment :
In French, we learn when writing, not to write digits when we want to say a small number, but to write it with letters. I don't know if you are learnt the same in English, but that is bizarre to me te read a text with digits inside. I don't mean there should be no digit, but when you say "distance between 2 hexes", I've been learned to write "distance between two hexes".

- About page 4 :
All Sea hexsides are not necessarily between 2 land hexes. Those that are between 2 land hexes preven movement, but there are all sea hexside between a land hex and a sea hex.

- About page 9 :
You say "in most cases, naval units either start of end movement in a port". You can remove "In most cases", as Naval units always either start of end movement in a port. Sometimes both, but they never move from sea to sea (unless playing with the Leaders in Flames kit, where 2 leaders allow for that feat to be accomplished, but MwiF does not uses LiF Leaders).

- About page 10 :
The last paragraph gave me the impression that naval units based in Honolulu could be able to intercept enemy units passing in the adjacent sea areas. This is impossible, intercepting naval units have to be at sea to intercept, so you should maybe reformulate it "That would give it the ability to fight enemy units with a suprise advantage".
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Froonp
- General comment :
In French, we learn when writing, not to write digits when we want to say a small number, but to write it with letters. I don't know if you are learnt the same in English, but that is bizarre to me te read a text with digits inside. I don't mean there should be no digit, but when you say "distance between 2 hexes", I've been learned to write "distance between two hexes".

- About page 4 :
All Sea hexsides are not necessarily between 2 land hexes. Those that are between 2 land hexes preven movement, but there are all sea hexside between a land hex and a sea hex.

- About page 9 :
You say "in most cases, naval units either start of end movement in a port". You can remove "In most cases", as Naval units always either start of end movement in a port. Sometimes both, but they never move from sea to sea (unless playing with the Leaders in Flames kit, where 2 leaders allow for that feat to be accomplished, but MwiF does not uses LiF Leaders).

- About page 10 :
The last paragraph gave me the impression that naval units based in Honolulu could be able to intercept enemy units passing in the adjacent sea areas. This is impossible, intercepting naval units have to be at sea to intercept, so you should maybe reformulate it "That would give it the ability to fight enemy units with a suprise advantage".

I am tight on space and use numbers instead of words to save room. Sometimes later edits create extra room but going back and revising everything when that happens is a lot of bother.

That all sea hexesides can be next to all sea hexes is indirectly covered in the mention about Dover having 4 all sea hexsides in a later page.

I believe some naval units can move to a lower numbered sea area section inlieu of returning to port - or has that rule been changed?

About Honolulu, the text is pretty clear that it is refering to the units once they are in "a high numbered section".
Steve

Froonp

Post by Froonp »

I believe some naval units can move to a lower numbered sea area section inlieu of returning to port - or has that rule been changed?
It has not changed.
You ae completely right. I forgot about that obvious Naval Move. Should have woke up before typing [>:].
Incy

Post by Incy »

Steve is right about moving into a lover seazone. But I think a stronger explanation is needed. The fact that naval movement in 99.9% of all cases is to/from port is often lost on newbies, I've seen it several times. If a new player dosn't get this concept right, they'll really struggle with understanding the naval rules. Most new players have played games like Axis & allies or a number of oter games where continued movement at sea is possible.

I suggest you introduce the naval rules by spelling out clearly that ALL naval moves are to/from port. Mention in a paranthesis that there is a single exception that allows movement to a lower number box within the same seasone
Shannon V. OKeets

Incy,

I just wrote a long reply and then hit some key that wiped it out. So all you get here is the short version.

Complex rules are being introduced in pieces. I haven't even shown the reader what a naval unit looks like yet (tutorial #5- next). There is another whole tutorial that will be devoted to naval movement and combat - in the interactive tutorial group.
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Incy
Steve is right about moving into a lover seazone. But I think a stronger explanation is needed. The fact that naval movement in 99.9% of all cases is to/from port is often lost on newbies, I've seen it several times. If a new player dosn't get this concept right, they'll really struggle with understanding the naval rules. Most new players have played games like Axis & allies or a number of oter games where continued movement at sea is possible.

I suggest you introduce the naval rules by spelling out clearly that ALL naval moves are to/from port. Mention in a paranthesis that there is a single exception that allows movement to a lower number box within the same seasone

Hey, I found the longer one.
================

Incy,

The game has a lot of complex rules, even for simple things like moving naval units. Because of this, I am introducing parts of the rules gradually. Covering something that only occurs .1% of time in the first mention of the rule is a good way to lose the reader 's the details.

My strategy (not tactics, but strategy) is to provide portions of rules, with overlap and redundancy, in installments. For example, I have mentioned invasions in some detail twice already. But I have yet to show the reader what a naval unit looks like.

For naval movement, I have touched on a few aspects, with references to interceptiona and surprise for instance. The next tutorial with actually display what naval units look like and I will cover more of this there.

However, I expect to have a completely separate tutorial on naval movement as part of the interactive tutorials. I am only laying the groundwork here, and hopefully whetting the reader's appetitie for more.
Steve

trees trees

Post by trees trees »

looking at the big sea box section above makes me wonder what the interface for naval combat might look like...with great optimism. naval combat could be the area of WiF that the computer will most speed up and help simplify. like in a big IJN/USN CV fiesta, pointing and clicking on everything and letting the computer keep track of the current AA value and which SCS are face-up or face-down...can't wait.
Incy

Post by Incy »

Hm, I don't think you got my meaning 100%.

I completely agree with your approach in introducing the rules. But I think saying that *in most cases naval units either start or end movement in port* does more to confuse than to help. Use ALWAYS instead, the reader will learn a very important principle.

But since there is that 0.1% that don't apply you must mention there is a tiny-itsy exception (or else you confuse the semi-experienced and annoy the rule lawyers).

Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

Steve is right about moving into a lover seazone.

I didn't realise there was going to be an 'Adults Only' version of MWiF [:D]
/Greyshaft
Shannon V. OKeets

Hm, I don't think you got my meaning 100%.

I completely agree with your approach in introducing the rules. But I think saying that *in most cases naval units either start or end movement in port* does more to confuse than to help. Use ALWAYS instead, the reader will learn a very important principle.

But since there is that 0.1% that don't apply you must mention there is a tiny-itsy exception (or else you confuse the semi-experienced and annoy the rule lawyers).

How about if I change it to "almost always"?
Steve

Return to “World in Flames”